Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Trump Presidency...

its entirely irrelevant what the question was.

She was blurting out questions over other reporters who had waited to take their turn and been called upon.

so they all lost out.

how else do you prevent a press conference becoming a free for all?

Whatever you think of journalists, they’re there not only to give us the news but also to question the veracity of what they’re being told. Trump’s avoidance of facing up to an obvious lie can’t be ignored by the journalist, especially if the next question is likely to be a tame one.

Errhh, George Washington perhaps.

“I cannot tell a lie…I did cut it with my hatchet.”

Of course that might have been a lie.

I’d also be hard pressed to name a journalist that isn’t rude. But interesting that you seem to think that Trump lying is OK.

All politicians flex the truth. Why are you so keen to apply double standards to a particular individual?

Is it because you've been told that he's also orange and thus a really bad man?

All politicians flex the truth. Why are you so keen to apply double standards to a particular individual?

Is it because you've been told that he's also orange and thus a really bad man?

I don’t like being lied to by any politician. So no ‘double standards’ there.

And he’s now only ‘flexing’ the truth?

So let’s be clear. He did lie but the journalist calling him on it was worse because she was ‘rude’.

Whatever you think of journalists, they’re there not only to give us the news but also to question the veracity of what they’re being told. Trump’s avoidance of facing up to an obvious lie can’t be ignored by the journalist, especially if the next question is likely to be a tame one.

Then she should have asked that as her main question, not tried to shoe horn it in as an additional one.

Remember, Bratty is a fan of the 'polite society'.

'President Donald Trump abruptly ended a Saturday news conference after a reporter challenged him on a lie about veterans health care he has told more than 150 times.

Trump, speaking at his Bedminster, New Jersey, golf club, had claimed again that he is the one who got the Veterans Choice program passed -- adding, "They've been trying to get that passed for decades and decades and decades and no president's ever been able to do it, and we got it done."

In fact, former President Barack Obama signed the Choice program into law in 2014. The law, which allowed eligible veterans to be covered by the government for care provided by doctors outside the VA system, was a bipartisan initiative spearheaded by two senators Trump has repeatedly criticized, Bernie Sanders of Vermont and the late John McCain of Arizona.

What Trump signed was a 2018 law, the VA MISSION Act, that modified and expanded the eligibility criteria from the Choice program. Rather than tout that bill, Trump has claimed over and over that he created Veterans Choice itself -- after others had failed for
"50 years."

I don’t like being lied to by any politician. So no ‘double standards’ there.

So let’s be clear. He did lie but the journalist calling him on it was worse because she was ‘rude’.

If you watch what he actually said, no, he was discussing the passing of two bills, one continuing and expanding veterans choice, and he was referring to the 'passing' of that.

it helps if you actually watch the whole thing rather than forming your opinion based on edited news reportage.

If you watch what he actually said, no, he was discussing the passing of two bills, one continuing and expanding veterans choice, and he was referring to the 'passing' of that.

it helps if you actually watch the whole thing rather than forming your opinion based on edited news reportage.

Which bit of the post immediately above yours is wrong then? Give that you’ve already admitted that he ‘flexed’ the truth...

Which bit of the post immediately above yours is wrong then? Give that you’ve already admitted that he ‘flexed’ the truth...

when he said:

They've been trying to get that passed for decades and decades and decades and no president's ever been able to do it, and we got it done."

which bit of the legislation do you think he was referring to as having passed? The bit that was enacted under Obama, or the bit that the original bill was extended to under the new provisions passed under his leadership?

its obvious that the reporter took it as him referring to ‘veterans choice’ in its entirety.

but, logically, which bit would you say he was referring to? and, indeed, was he possibly being ‘creative’ in his reference to the veterans choice as a principle rather than referring to the Specific provisions of the bill that the recent expansion passed under his leadership.

see, not quite so black and white now, is it? But this is just how a media ‘narrative’ to news is created that quickly transcends factual events.

all that would be fairly obvious to anyone who actually watched it rather than just being spoon-fed edited media reportage for his opinions.

Last edited:
when he said:
They've been trying to get that passed for decades and decades and decades and no president's ever been able to do it, and we got it done."

which bit of the legislation do you think he was referring to? The bit that was enacted under Obama, or the bit that the Bill was extended to under the new provisions enacted under his leadership?

its obvious that the reporter took it as him referring to ‘veterans choice’ in its entirety.

but, logically, which bit would you say he was referring to? and, indeed, was he possibly being ‘creative’ in his reference to the veterans choice as a principle rather than referring to the Specific provisions of the bill that the recent expansion created under his leadership.

see, not quite so black and white now, is it?

What’s black and white is you evading the point.

name a president, or presidential candidate, who didn‘t lie
As much as Trump? All of them put together didn't lie as much as your man.

Decades and Decades would imply over 40 years, or is that a bit more "truth flexing"?
"Alternative truth" I think you'll find.

How very 'murican, using many letters when a mere 3 will suffice. Lie.

oh, dear, you appear to have strayed back on to attacking me rather than tackling the issue

what a surprise

Not really. You’re the one who is evading answering the questions.

What was factually incorrect in @SkippedOnce post?

Does this constitute an untruth?

Is the alleged rudeness of a journalist worse than a presidential untruth?

No.
I am insulting the GOP, its hard core voters, and Trump fans. They justify it. The American people don't deserve insults. They deserve pity for the horrible fate Trump delivered them into. A global laughing stock and now plague pit. I doubt HRC would have achieved the same.

I am NOT insulting you, because you are obviously clinically insane, and it is uncivilised to mock the afflicted.
However amusing it may be.
So why are Trump voters not considered Americans in your jaundiced views?

All Presidential candidates have flaws.
Trump is unique in that he has no virtues.
None.
He is almost uniquely vile, pettty, humourless, ignorant, spiteful, vain...

There is nothing there that you would elect if a better candidate was available UNLESS you yourself see something mean and evil in him that calls to you. That is what he does. He appeals to the lowest common denominator.

It isn't that other candidates have lied.
It is that Trump has never apparently told a truth in his life.
For him, lying is pathological. He can't stop.

The death rate? That boils down to Trump's line. "It is what it is." You can't justify his appalling handling of the epidemic, so you shrug it off like he does. They are only people. They aren't him or his money. They don't matter.

How the US would have fared under Clinton or any of the other candidates is of course unknowable.

But on balance, I think that America has been suffering from an unnecessary self inflicted wound under its version of Emperor Nero that it will take a long time to recover from.

... And it still wouldn't have been ruled by a secret coven of Satan worshipping paedophiles.
The death rate is far worse in the U.K. with the NHS, then it is in America and our hybrid system. So please if you really want to know who deserves the pity, it is your people.

165,088 fatalities here since stats have been kept. 5,150,879 confirmed or suspected cases... for 3.2 percent of COVID cases passing away.

You lot have 46,566 COVID deaths out of 309,763 confirmed cases. Which puts your percentage at 15.

Why don’t you deal with your countries appalling handling of the pandemic before you converse about others. Our fatalities would be even less if we didn’t have the genius that is the governor of New York in charge of that state.

The death rate is far worse in the U.K. with the NHS, then it is in America and our hybrid system. So please if you really want to know who deserves the pity, it is your people.

165,088 fatalities here since stats have been kept. 5,150,879 confirmed or suspected cases... for 3.2 percent of COVID cases passing away.

You lot have 46,566 COVID deaths out of 309,763 confirmed cases. Which puts your percentage at 15.

Why don’t you deal with your countries appalling handling of the pandemic before you converse about others. Our fatalities would be even less if we didn’t have the genius that is the governor of New York in charge of that state.

Death rate by case rate is tied to testing rate. We only tested hospitalised cases in the beginning. I suspect our death by case rate is still lagging because of this. Death rate by population rate is more accurate way to compare. (Although granted we are still not doing great there).

Latest Threads