The Trump Presidency...

Trump's critics go ballistic precisely because he says anything to anyone, anywhere, anytime, without filters, euphemisms, equivocation. His enemies are shocked at his directness; his handlers worried that he needlessly is so explicit. He is innocent of the cunnings of diplomacy.

I agree with those who judge one’s temperament and ideology on what one does rather than what one is interpreted as saying. Trump says all sorts of things in his art-of-the-deal manner, and the media often report things he didn’t say as if he did. What Trump actually does is what counts. Take for example his supposed “Russian collusion.”

Trump has said many wild things about the Russians—most infamously joking that perhaps they could help find Hillary’s deleted emails. But what he has done far exceeds anything punitive from the Obama administration: he upped sanctions on Russia, got out of an asymmetrical agreement with Russia on short-range missiles, sold weapons to Ukraine, jawboned against the Germany-Russia natural gas deal, killed Russian mercenaries in Syria, crashed world oil and natural gas prices, the essence of the Russian economy, by green lighting horizontal drilling and fracking. He also upped the US defence budget and pressed NATO members to keep their promises—all to the annoyance of Putin.
Trump - would not have been on the republican ticket, if not for the clinton machines control of the media.
Brexit - would not have happened, if the remain movement had any respect for alternative views over 40 odd years.

The common denominator is gerrymandering of democracy towards a common goal held by a smaller elite is something that existed long before the supposed russian threat rose out of the shadows and is more than just paranoia, but a deep seated reaction, for an instance the loss of control and explains the 4 year daily hate for trump and brexit.

This is a particularly interesting quote, and revealing of the mindset of many US government officials and their hangers on, who seem to forget that the President *sets* US foreign policy (Whether they like it or not)

In fact the whole thing is very reminiscent of what we’ve seen over here with the civil service repeatedly trying to Brexit into the long grass.
So much for the US Constitutional mantra of 'checks and balances'.

So much for the US Constitutional mantra of 'checks and balances'.
its a principle that has lasted the test of time:

"The President is the constitutional representative of the United States with regard to foreign nations. He manages our concerns with foreign nations, and must necessarily be most competent to determine when, how, and upon what subjects negotiation may be urged with the greatest prospect of success. For his conduct, he is responsible to the Constitution. The committee consider this responsibility the surest pledge for the faithful discharge of his duty. They think the interference of the Senate in the direction of foreign negotiations calculated to diminish that responsibility, and thereby to impair the best security for the national safety. The nature of transactions with foreign nations, moreover, requires caution and unity of design, and their success frequently depends on secrecy and dispatch."

U.S. Senate, Reports, Committee on Foreign Relations, 1816

its a principle that has lasted the test of time:

"The President is the constitutional representative of the United States with regard to foreign nations. He manages our concerns with foreign nations, and must necessarily be most competent to determine when, how, and upon what subjects negotiation may be urged with the greatest prospect of success. For his conduct, he is responsible to the Constitution. The committee consider this responsibility the surest pledge for the faithful discharge of his duty. They think the interference of the Senate in the direction of foreign negotiations calculated to diminish that responsibility, and thereby to impair the best security for the national safety. The nature of transactions with foreign nations, moreover, requires caution and unity of design, and their success frequently depends on secrecy and dispatch."

U.S. Senate, Reports, Committee on Foreign Relations, 1816
And the Hair Fuhrer falls at the first requirement: '... must necessarily be most competent...'.

'The Senate Foreign Relations Committee was established in 1816 as one of the original ten standing committees of the Senate. Throughout its history, the committee has been instrumental in developing and influencing United States foreign policy, at different times supporting and opposing the policies of presidents and secretaries of state. The committee has considered, debated, and reported important treaties and legislation, ranging from the purchase of Alaska in 1867 to the establishment of the United Nations in 1945. It also holds jurisdiction over all diplomatic nominations. Through these powers, the committee has helped shape foreign policy of broad significance, in matters of war and peace and international relations. Members of the committee have assisted in the negotiation of treaties, and at times have helped to defeat treaties they felt were not in the national interest.'

'He (the President) shall have Power, by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, to make Treaties, provided two thirds of the Senators present concur;'

Article II, Section 2 - The Constitution of the United States

Last edited:
The rumours are he did not die, as officially reported, of brain cancer but was court-martialled, found guilty of treason and executed. This is based on a comment let slip by his daughter and also by a news caster on TV.
John McCain - Medals
Dipso Fuckto - Medals
Naval Aviator badge
Silver Star Medal
Legion of Merit with Combat "V" and Star
Distinguished Flying Cross
Bronze Star Medal with Combat "V" and two Stars
Purple Heart Medal with Star
Meritorious Service Medal
Air Medal with star and Strike/Flight numeral "2"
Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal with Combat "V" and Star
Navy Combat Action Ribbon Navy Unit Commendation
Navy Meritorious Unit Commendation
Prisoner of War Medal Navy Expeditionary Medal
National Defense Service Medal with star
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Vietnam Service Medal with two stars
Republic of Vietnam National Order of Vietnam (Commander)
Republic of Vietnam Meritorious Unit Citation
(Gallantry Cross) with frame and palm
Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal
None.​

How could he be court martialed if he was a civvy?

Knob.

Woah, what crawled up your arse and died?! Unfortunately, McCain has such a tarnished reputation they attribute anything to him. That is not a good legacy to leave behind.

I'm interested in why he is such a controversial figure. Could you give me links to those who have spoken positively about him?

The rumours are he did not die, as officially reported, of brain cancer but was court-martialled, found guilty of treason and executed. This is based on a comment let slip by his daughter and also by a news caster on TV.
You stupid ******* ****.

The rumours are he did not die, as officially reported, of brain cancer but was court-martialled, found guilty of treason and executed.
Well, f*ck me with an elephant's foot; you're the most misguided individual I have conversed with online.

...and I've had a PM from Baglock.

And the Hair Fuhrer falls at the first requirement: '... must necessarily be most competent...'.
and you see, that’s where you fail to understand how democracy works

The President is not “necessarily most competent” because of his ability, but directly because he is president, the premier spokesperson of the people. He cannot ‘fail’ the first requirement - because he’s already fulfilled the first requirement through being elected.

L'état, c'est moi!

and you see, that’s where you fail to understand how democracy works

The President is not “necessarily most competent” because of his ability, but directly because he is president, the premier spokesperson of the people. He cannot ‘fail’ the first requirement - because he’s already fulfilled the first requirement through being elected.

L'état, c'est moi!
Hilarious; plagiarising Louis XIV as you pontificate about how little others know about democracy. You and Dipso make a great pair.

Last edited:

ipso_facto

Old-Salt
On a speak as you find, which I understand is what you are looking for............... I once belonged for a few years to a department, part of which hosted American former POW's around a UK circuit.

UK military students on Survival ( SERE ) courses were presented to lectures from these gents, several of whom had been incarcerated in the 'Hanoi Hilton' alongside the late Senator McCain ( RIP ).
All of these gentlemen used the brutalisation of John McCain as an outstanding example of fortitude and strength in withstanding physical assault. Singled out as a result of his father's role as an Admiral, he became an exceptional candidate for torture leading to his likely use in the North's propaganda machine.

Do I believe that he "co-operated " with the demands the North Vietnam imposed on him? Of course he did, as with a few hundred other long term prisoners, but not for one minute did he compromise his integrity or leadership in that environment for his personal gain. An outstanding man in all.

Edit to add - " We judge ourselves on our intentions and others on their behaviour " as you so amply demonstrate.
I'm amused by your arm chair psycho-analysis of me however, let's turn to a more serious issue.

What you say about John McCain should be the end of the story. He was captured, he was tortured and he conducted himself honourably. There should be no questions about it - so move on.

Unfortunately, if you look more closely one can see why the controversy occurred. It has to do with his subsequent behaviour that cast doubts on him. If you're interested there are two articles that address some of the issues:

John McCain is no war hero. Mythologies die hard - Adam Townsend

John McCain Was Never My Hero — Unmargin

The controversy will not be laid to rest until all the files are released which looks like they never will be.

I'm amused by your arm chair psycho-analysis of me however, let's turn to a more serious issue.

What you say about John McCain should be the end of the story. He was captured, he was tortured and he conducted himself honourably. There should be no questions about it - so move on.

Unfortunately, if you look more closely one can see why the controversy occurred. It has to do with his subsequent behaviour that cast doubts on him. If you're interested there are two articles that address some of the issues:

The controversy will not be laid to rest until all the files are released which looks like they never will be.
Impugning the honour of a dead war hero because he said mean things about Captain Bonespurs? You're absolutely ******* contemptible.

No chance of you doing us all a favour and putting every device that allows you to access electronic communications in the microwave on high for five minutes, I suppose?

FFS shut up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woah, what crawled up your arse and died?! Unfortunately, McCain has such a tarnished reputation they attribute anything to him. That is not a good legacy to leave behind.

I'm interested in why he is such a controversial figure. Could you give me links to those who have spoken positively about him?

Sweet fanny moses I didn't think you could fit that much stupidity into one human that would still live, but there you are.

"The Rumors"? I heard a rumor that you were a failed abortion that somehow lived even with the coat hanger ears.

It’s a pretty good link, and if you read it it’s hard to garner ANY support for a POW/MIA conspiracy.

There’s actually only about 40-odd actual ‘missing’.

Most of the 1500-odd MIA are aircrew whose aircraft were seen to crash but where no witnesses could confirm that they didn’t see parachutes, or similar. They stayed on the rolls and families continued to get their salaries, they got pay raises and promotions, and then the families got their pension.

The actual missing were almost all aircrew who were seen to parachute to safety and then seen on the ground.

But bear in mind that the jungle in that area includes several nasties. Including tigers and bears. Not to mention some very virulent diseases.
A contemporary report-

More details on another marine-

SGT, ROBERT CRAIN PHLEGER, USMC 1st Force recon co was killed and partially eaten by a tiger during a night ambush patrol
At first light all they found was a torn poncho liner, an M-16, bush hat, radio and drag marks. I was told to tell the team to follow the drag marks, as they thought Sergeant Phleger might have been captured. About 50 meters down the hill, they spotted the missing Marine, up against a tree with his head and one side of his body gone. All of a sudden a tiger came charging at the team, and they opened up with their M-16s. The tiger ran off, but in seconds came back for its kill. This time the Marines scared it away with some grenades. They wrapped what was left of the Marine in a poncho, and the team was extracted. Sergeant Phleger was 32 and had just returned from R&R in Hawaii, where he had married his high school sweetheart.

BigT

LE
A contemporary report-

More details on another marine-

SGT, ROBERT CRAIN PHLEGER, USMC 1st Force recon co was killed and partially eaten by a tiger during a night ambush patrol
At first light all they found was a torn poncho liner, an M-16, bush hat, radio and drag marks. I was told to tell the team to follow the drag marks, as they thought Sergeant Phleger might have been captured. About 50 meters down the hill, they spotted the missing Marine, up against a tree with his head and one side of his body gone. All of a sudden a tiger came charging at the team, and they opened up with their M-16s. The tiger ran off, but in seconds came back for its kill. This time the Marines scared it away with some grenades. They wrapped what was left of the Marine in a poncho, and the team was extracted. Sergeant Phleger was 32 and had just returned from R&R in Hawaii, where he had married his high school sweetheart.
I saw this last year, I didn't realise how much of a problem tigers were in Vietnam.

God save us all; he's all over the place like a mad woman's shit.

'Sometimes it is practically impossible to distil Donald Trump's public appearances into coherent, easily digestible news stories.

'That was the case back in June, when the US President spent 14 minutes at a political rally talking about that time he walked really slowly down a gentle ramp.

'And it was the case today, when HBO aired Trump's much-anticipated interview with Axios's national political correspondent, Australian reporter Jonathan Swan.

'This interview defies any effort at concise summarization ... '

offog

LE
Watching that a number of thinks seem apparent, Trump needs glasses, he has no understanding of numbers, he does not understand what he has been told.

He does not come across well.

Latest Threads