The Trump Presidency...

BigT

LE
You keep saying that universal healthcare is expensive, what’s being pointed out to you and which you seem to be ignoring is that the UK and other countries spend less on health care than the US and with better outcomes. And there are advantages to the economy by having universal healthcare since productive members of society who may fall sick are looked after, rather than being untreated and maybe dying from it because they were uninsured, underinsured or it was an excluded condition.
We've had this very same argument a number of times before so trust me you are banging your head against a brick wall. The problem is partly social conditioning and partly the power of the health insurance industry. Some Americans firmly believe that if you get ill and can't afford treatment then you die and it's your own fault for getting sick in the first place.

We've had this very same argument a number of times before so trust me you are banging your head against a brick wall. The problem is partly social conditioning and partly the power of the health insurance industry. Some Americans firmly believe that if you get ill and can't afford treatment then you die and it's your own fault for getting sick in the first place.
I get that. I guess I was just trying to point out a couple of misconceptions for our US posters.

Arguing about healthcare goes the same way as arguing about the 2nd.

The hardest hit states are the ones in love with the idea of socialized medicine. But New York screwed the pooch, and are not worth emulating at all.
Really? They've stabilised and reduced their COVID rates whilst the rest of the US (in no small part due to the lack of efforts of some Republican controlled areas) has the rates rising.

New York has imposed restrictions in travellers coming from 8 states...guess how many voted GOP? (Hint: All of them)

It is every patriotic American's right to take a strangers life.
Saving a strangers life is communist.

I cannot give you a like, but your comment sums up our friends across the pond, very succinctly, and unfortunately, extremely accurately. ....( Memory jog:- Film "Idiocracy" )

It is every patriotic American's right to take a strangers life.
Saving a strangers life is communist.
Unless that stranger is still in the womb, in which case it's imperative its life be saved because life is sacrosanct and must be protected.

Even if that means killing a different stranger who isn't in the womb.

Unless that stranger is still in the womb, in which case it's imperative its life be saved because life is sacrosanct and must be protected.

Even if that means killing a different stranger who isn't in the womb.
All I took away from your post is - Wibble..... (then imagined you were sitting in your underpants & with 2 pencils up your nose)

Have you been hitting grandpa's cough medicine a bit too early today?

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
All I took away from your post is - Wibble.....

Have you been hitting grandpa's cough medicine a bit too early today?
He's referring to the fact that some are happy to kill abortion clinic staff while accepting dead school kids as a fair price for armed bears.

He's referring to the fact that some are happy to kill abortion clinic staff while accepting dead school kids as a fair price for armed bears.
What's all this talk off dead school kids and bears going about with guns - it sounds like something from a C.S Lewis novel, and unfounded in reality.

Really? They've stabilised and reduced their COVID rates whilst the rest of the US (in no small part due to the lack of efforts of some Republican controlled areas) has the rates rising.

New York has imposed restrictions in travellers coming from 8 states...guess how many voted GOP? (Hint: All of them)

With 31,484 confirmed deaths already. At some point that state is going to have to reopen like the rest of us, if they wish to have any sort of economy. I would imagine their budget deficit is going to eye watering, which will only add to their problems.

You keep saying that universal healthcare is expensive, what’s being pointed out to you and which you seem to be ignoring is that the UK and other countries spend less on health care than the US and with better outcomes. And there are advantages to the economy by having universal healthcare since productive members of society who may fall sick are looked after, rather than being untreated and maybe dying from it because they were uninsured, underinsured or it was an excluded condition.
But looking at the UK’s Covid outcomes, how can you say your system is any better? Looking at the raw numbers is not showing your system to be superior to our Byzantine way of doing business.

There are three clear factors.
The Southern States are getting smashed by Covid.
The Southern States are apparently the most cult like followers of Trump.
The Southern States are the ones where black lives don't matter.
There may be some connection between these things.

But looking at the UK’s Covid outcomes, how can you say your system is any better? Looking at the raw numbers is not showing your system to be superior to our Byzantine way of doing business.
UK covid numbers were heavily skewed to appear better than they were. Lots of care & old folk homes were not tested when people died. Also I know nobody that has been tested - even people I know that work in hospitals have not been tested. There is vast numbers that have died that were not tested, so the death toll is very much higher than what has been reported.
The USA/UK and western countries where there are high population rates, large percent of people are obese, people with cancer & other life threatening diseases & a large group of older people. Will always score higher on the amount of deaths there's been from Covid. Don't think the USA is any worse than anywhere else - it's not. There's just variables that haven't been taken into consideration - numbers can be skewed & don't show the full picture.

That's before you consider all the embuggerance placed on employers by having deal with workers' health insurance. You think sorting out NI contributions is bad...
On of the arguments the British left trots out is that "the rich companies" want the "Tories to destroy the NHS" yet I've never encountered any sane person who runs any sort of business, large or small, who wants yet another layer of complication.

On of the arguments the British left trots out is that "the rich companies" want the "Tories to destroy the NHS" yet I've never encountered any sane person who runs any sort of business, large or small, who wants yet another layer of complication.
Quite the opposite, considering the NHS is there to ensure we have a (relatively) fit and healthy workforce / conscription pool.

All I took away from your post is - Wibble.
That's alright. I imagine seeing three whole syllables strung together was a bit of a challenge.

UK covid numbers were heavily skewed to appear better than they were. Lots of care & old folk homes were not tested when people died. Also I know nobody that has been tested - even people I know that work in hospitals have not been tested. There is vast numbers that have died that were not tested, so the death toll is very much higher than what has been reported.
The USA/UK and western countries where there are high population rates, large percent of people are obese, people with cancer & other life threatening diseases & a large group of older people. Will always score higher on the amount of deaths there's been from Covid. Don't think the USA is any worse than anywhere else - it's not. There's just variables that haven't been taken into consideration - numbers can be skewed & don't show the full picture.
The elderly and immune compromised will be the hardest hit groups. But everybody out here was pretty sick in January and February. We all thought it was the flu and carried on. I know one person who had a confirmed case, and he is a 70’s something pensioner who stays pretty fit. Other than that it is pretty benign, even with the surge in cases due to reopening.

There are three clear factors.
The Southern States are getting smashed by Covid.
The Southern States are apparently the most cult like followers of Trump.
The Southern States are the ones where black lives don't matter.
There may be some connection between these things.
Hate to break it to Bubba, but the Blue States have been the ones crushed by COVID and the BLM protests.

Hate to break it to Bubba, but the Blue States have been the ones crushed by COVID and the BLM protests.
No, Cletus.
They were the ones hit FIRST.
Trump and his cultists have abandoned all the lessons learned, and are stoking the fires across the Red States through sheer pig ignorance and refusal to engage with reality.
Apart from California, which seems to be an outlier, all the hottest states are in the South, and the hottest of all are the ones who opened up early because Trump told them to. Arizona, Florida, Texas etc.
And oddly enough, they are mostly old Dixie States.
Here's a map.

Latest Threads