The Trump Presidency...

Not read it on here but not read all the last posts but...

Dead man ( to Trump) walking?

Secretary of Defense Mark Esper .
Yep, stand by for the 'I don't know the guy' tweet.

'Secretary of Defense Mark Esper spoke out Wednesday against invoking the Insurrection Act to deploy active-duty US military inside the country to respond to unrest following the death of George Floyd.'

And it gets odder and odder
View attachment 479156
Bit lazy here but in 1787 when the constitution was signed , slaves were the norm . So does the first paragraph of this memo mean “all” men and women are born free and equal or just those whites in charge at the time?

Has the constitution ever been amended to incorporate say, all men and women born in the USA are free and equal?

Any Arrses know as the slaves in the 1700,1800s might have a bone to pick.

Bit lazy here but in 1787 when the constitution was signed , slaves were the norm . So does the first paragraph of this memo mean “all” men and women are born free and equal or just those whites in charge at the time?

Has the constitution ever been amended to incorporate say, all men and women born in the USA are free and equal?

Any Arrses know as the slaves in the 1700,1800s might have a bone to pick.
It meant all white men. Black people were an irrelevancy at the time. Merely a possession to be accounted for like ploughs, wagons, horses, cattle and chickens.

But we Brits can't get on our high horse as all of the irrelevant blacks were taken there by the British merchant fleet. Who were protected by the Royal Navy.

It meant all white men. Black people were an irrelevancy at the time. Merely a possession to be accounted for like ploughs, wagons, horses, cattle and chickens.
Not quite. There were free black people in the USA prior to the Civil War (often released slaves). There's a very interesting museum in an Antebellum mansion in Wilmington NC that we visited a few years ago. The house was owned by a black master craftsman (carpentry, I think), but the most enlightening element was the fact that he was a slave owner himself.

Not quite. There were free black people in the USA prior to the Civil War (often released slaves). There's a very interesting museum in an Antebellum mansion in Wilmington NC that we visited a few years ago. The house was owned by a black master craftsman (carpentry, I think), but the most enlightening element was the fact that he was a slave owner himself.
Yeah I know it's a "not quite" as in there is "no always and no never".

I can't imagine the free black men were massively welcomed into white American society (maybe slightly in the north east).

With respect to my second point either them or their forebears were slaved there by the Brits.

But we Brits can't get on our high horse as all of the irrelevant blacks were taken there by the British merchant fleet. Who were protected by the Royal Navy.
Well not quite as ....

The major Atlantic slave trading nations, ordered by trade volume, were the Portuguese, the British, the French, the Spanish, the Dutch Empires, and the Danish.

The British abolished it in 1807 but the US continued until 1859.

Well not quite as ....

The major Atlantic slave trading nations, ordered by trade volume, were the Portuguese, the British, the French, the Spanish, the Dutch Empires, and the Danish.

The British abolished it in 1807 but the US continued until 1859.
12 million Africans slaved to the Americas.

Mostly by Spanish and Portuguese to S America. (Predominantly Portuguese slaving to Brazil).

2.6 million by the Brits to the W Indies and N America. Other countries did not get a look in on this trade. That's what the Royal Navy was for.

Err they burned blokes at the stake too, equal ops innit!
Not for Petty Treason they didn't. Men got hanged but women got burnt right up until 1790.

What's particularly interesting is that this barbarity went on well over half a century after the idea of Witchcraft as a crime was done away with.

Karamoja

War Hero
I remember seeing an old episode of "You do you think you are?" which concerned the black chef Ainsley Harriet whose black forebears in the West Indies also owned slaves. Probably in those days, if you could afford it, you did, irrespective of one's colour.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
On the bus, off the bus
"US Defence Secretary Mark Esper has abruptly reversed a plan for soldiers of the Army's 82nd Airborne division to leave Washington DC on Wednesday.

The volte-face comes hours after Esper said he disagreed with Trump's threat to send active-duty soldiers into American states and cities.

Active-duty troops should be deployed “only in the most urgent and dire of situations,” he said earlier. “We are not in one of those situations now.”

Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy told AP News that 200 of the 1,600 soldiers in the Washington DC region had been due to depart earlier on Wednesday.

But, he said, Esper intervened to order them to remain."
Mind you a military coup is quite the thing in Banana Republics