The Trump Presidency...

That post exemplifies what I have said about the ignorant only knowing what they see in the agenda-driven media, hearsay, or limited visits. Dunning-Kruger most definitely applies to this type of situation.

What you see in the media is most definitely not the America that I live in. What you see in the media is fat cops drinking coffee and scoffing donuts before slotting some undesirables (paraphrasing, obviously). You see the media circus in Washington, in LA, in Chicago.

I see the Police Chief of a neighboring town mowing his lawn a couple houses up. I see families enjoying themselves on the lake. I see traffic accidents with Sheriff vehicles, fire trucks and ambulances streaming in to help. I see other cars pulling over to let them pass. I see families shopping in the supermarket, at the mall. I see guys with pickup trucks at Home Depot buying wood, tools, paint, screws etc to improve their houses, or further their business.

I see a boundless thirst to improve things. Whether that be education, infrastructure, health services, longevity, broadband access/speed, mobile coverage, many things that improve the nation and quality of life therein.

We look at the news from Washington, from Minneapolis, from Atlanta, and think “WTF is going on there” just like foreigners do. We also look at the news from London, from Paris, from Berlin, and sometimes think “WTF is going on there”.

It’s completely wrong to judge entire nations based upon what the TV News editor wants to push to the top of the agenda, or what political message CNN want to illustrate, or what the newspaper editor thinks is going to sell most copies.

Nobody is saying the US is without problems, and some of them are very serious indeed. However, so are some of the problems in other countries. We have school shootings, race issues in cities, and a dysfunctional relationship between the government and the media. Other countries don’t have those. But neither do we have hordes of immigrants on boats to deal with. Or a portion of those immigrants mowing down ordinary citizens in some religiously-motivated horseshit.

We’re undergoing a difficult time right now, and that’s plain to see. But one shouldn’t rush to judge an entire book by its hastily-added cover that was designed by those with an agenda. Or, if one does, then one should be prepared to be judged oneself.
That’s an excellent and balanced post.

However, if I may, it does somewhat clash with the ‘my country right or wrong’ stance taken by many in here.

Whilst that’s an admirable position in many respects, the risk is that it allows a cloud of obfuscation over the - dare I say - undoubtable harm that Trump is doing to the reputation of the highest office in the land.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
That post exemplifies what I have said about the ignorant only knowing what they see in the agenda-driven media, hearsay, or limited visits. Dunning-Kruger most definitely applies to this type of situation.

What you see in the media is most definitely not the America that I live in. What you see in the media is fat cops drinking coffee and scoffing donuts before slotting some undesirables (paraphrasing, obviously). You see the media circus in Washington, in LA, in Chicago.

I see the Police Chief of a neighboring town mowing his lawn a couple houses up. I see families enjoying themselves on the lake. I see traffic accidents with Sheriff vehicles, fire trucks and ambulances streaming in to help. I see other cars pulling over to let them pass. I see families shopping in the supermarket, at the mall. I see guys with pickup trucks at Home Depot buying wood, tools, paint, screws etc to improve their houses, or further their business.

I see a boundless thirst to improve things. Whether that be education, infrastructure, health services, longevity, broadband access/speed, mobile coverage, many things that improve the nation and quality of life therein.

We look at the news from Washington, from Minneapolis, from Atlanta, and think “WTF is going on there” just like foreigners do. We also look at the news from London, from Paris, from Berlin, and sometimes think “WTF is going on there”.

It’s completely wrong to judge entire nations based upon what the TV News editor wants to push to the top of the agenda, or what political message CNN want to illustrate, or what the newspaper editor thinks is going to sell most copies.

Nobody is saying the US is without problems, and some of them are very serious indeed. However, so are some of the problems in other countries. We have school shootings, race issues in cities, and a dysfunctional relationship between the government and the media. Other countries don’t have those. But neither do we have hordes of immigrants on boats to deal with. Or a portion of those immigrants mowing down ordinary citizens in some religiously-motivated horseshit.

We’re undergoing a difficult time right now, and that’s plain to see. But one shouldn’t rush to judge an entire book by its hastily-added cover that was designed by those with an agenda. Or, if one does, then one should be prepared to be judged oneself.
If there were more like you both here and over there, both countries would be much improved.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
I am sorry your brain's broke, only burning reference there is to Scotland. Which isn't England. From your quoted source. . .

"Elizabeth I passed a new Witchcraft Act in 1563 which came into force on June the 1st of that year. This Act specified a year’s imprisonment plus pillorying on four occasions during the year for a first offence with death by hanging for a second offence unless the person was convicted of murder by witchcraft, in which case the death sentence was mandatory"

"In 1603 King James VI of Scotland became James I of England on the death of Elizabeth I, thus uniting the kingdoms of England and Scotland. King James was very interested witchcraft and took part in witch trials in Scotland. His statute of 1604 strengthened the law in England and made hanging mandatory for those convicted of witchcraft where the supposed victim was only injured rather than died. Strangely he did not introduce burning at the stak as was the Scottish practice."

If only you had read the posts after the one you gleefully seized on, you'd have had all this and not made yourself look even stupider than usual.
Ok Prudence Lee. The witch of Wapping. There’s bound to be a link about her. Hanged and burnt. (Or somethIng)

Attachments

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Ok Prudence Lee. The witch of Wapping. There’s bound to be a link about her. Hanged and burnt. (Or somethIng)
Together, with the confession of Prudence Lee, who was burnt in Smithfield on Saturday the 10th. of this instant for the murthering her husband: and her admonition and counsel to all her sex in general.
Murder not Witchcraft, try again.

That’s an excellent and balanced post.

However, if I may, it does somewhat clash with the ‘my country right or wrong’ stance taken by many in here.

Whilst that’s an admirable position in many respects, the risk is that it allows a cloud of obfuscation over the - dare I say - undoubtable harm that Trump is doing to the reputation of the highest office in the land.
I can understand the “my country right or wrong” posts. I don’t take that view myself, regarding either country; I accept the failings of both, just as much as I accept the successes.

What I really struggle with is the “your country is shit“ posts, especially when they appear to be motivated by “your country is shit because it is not the same as mine” or “your country is shit because the way we do a few things is clearly superior”.

I know I have a personal failing in that those types of posts wrankle me, and I should just let them go. Really, it’s no skin off my nose if some pixels have the wrong end of the stick and a shitty attitude with it. I’ll try and do better :)

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
If and it is of course a big IF the BBC is to be believed it's all getting a bit wobbly in Das Fuhrerbunker that he recently inspected, not hid in.

• US defence secretary opposes sending troops to quell unrest over the death of George Floyd
  • President Donald Trump has said the army will "quickly solve the problem"

I can understand the “my country right or wrong” posts. I don’t take that view myself, regarding either country; I accept the failings of both, just as much as I accept the successes.

What I really struggle with is the “your country is shit“ posts, especially when they appear to be motivated by “your country is shit because it is not the same as mine” or “your country is shit because the way we do a few things is clearly superior”.

I know I have a personal failing in that those types of posts wrankle me, and I should just let them go. Really, it’s no skin off my nose if some pixels have the wrong end of the stick and a shitty attitude with it. I’ll try and do better :)
Fair enough. Although American bacon is irrefutably shite :)

Has Donald revealed his Ominous weapons yet?

Unbe-f'ing-lievable! He is certifiable.

“I’ve done more for Black Americans, in fact, than any President in U.S. history, with the possible exception of another Republican President, the late, great, Abraham Lincoln … and it’s not even close.”

Donald J. Trump

✔@realDonaldTrump

· 4h

In 3 1/2 years, I’ve done much more for our Black population than Joe Biden has done in 43 years. Actually, he set them back big time with his Crime Bill, which he doesn’t even remember. I’ve done more for Black Americans, in fact, than any President in U.S. history, with...

Donald J. Trump

✔@realDonaldTrump

....the possible exception of another Republican President, the late, great, Abraham Lincoln...and it’s not even close. The Democrats know this, and so does the Fake News, but they refuse to write or say it because they are inherently corrupt! See “pinned” above.

3:07 PM - Jun 3, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy

https://www.news.com.au/world/north-america/us-politics/donald-trump-claims-he-has-done-more-for-black-americans-than-any-other-president-after-days-of-us-protests/news-story/3d048a1c14b8506fae0a046b4cb8e037

Fair enough. Although American bacon is irrefutably shite :)
See, there’s another thing...

You think American bacon is shite because if you order bacon here with breakfast, you get streaky bacon. No ifs, ands, or buts. Back bacon is generally just not available. In comparison with back bacon, streaky bacon is indeed shite. But it is every bit as shite as the streaky bacon in the UK or Europe.

So what you really mean is “American breakfasts are shite in comparison to British or Irish ones because they only have streaky bacon”, and I would absolutely agree with that.

Let’s try another one. “European pickup trucks are irrefutably shite. Weedy little engines that couldn’t pull the skin off a rice pudding, tiny cabs and tiny beds. Even the bigger V6s have smaller displacement than one bank of my V8”. Yes, I’m being a cvnt... :)

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
See, there’s another thing...

You think American bacon is shite because if you order bacon here with breakfast, you get streaky bacon. No ifs, ands, or buts. Back bacon is generally just not available. In comparison with back bacon, streaky bacon is indeed shite. But it is every bit as shite as the streaky bacon in the UK or Europe.

So what you really mean is “American breakfasts are shite in comparison to British or Irish ones because they only have streaky bacon”, and I would absolutely agree with that.

Let’s try another one. “European pickup trucks are irrefutably shite. Weedy little engines that couldn’t pull the skin off a rice pudding, tiny cabs and tiny beds. Even the bigger V6s have smaller displacement than one bank of my V8”. Yes, I’m being a cvnt... :)
You didn't see my post then? It's the smoked or sweet that makes it shit, not the bacon. I prefer back but like streaky. I could be unkind and point out, we don't need a big engine to compensate for lacking in the genital area, but I won't because I'm not unkind

The American bacon I've seen has been much worse than UK streaky bacon - less than half the meat content.
Go tot he butcher and they will sort it out. The pigs aren't fatter - its just a different cut.

The American bacon I've seen has been much worse than UK streaky bacon - less than half the meat content.
We’re arguing over what’s the best kind of dogshit to tread in here. Clearly, thick-cut, rind-on smoked back bacon beats everything else into a cocked hat!

Latest Threads