The Trump Presidency...

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Just to pour a splash of petrol (gas) on the fire, the bible was upside down. An upside down bible inverts the cross has habitually imprinted on the frontispiece and an inverted cross is associated with satanic rituals... Ergo, Trump is the anti-Christ. Sits back, pops a can of Guinness draft and smiles...
I think you just confused it with this cross old chap, that's the one he swore loyalty to.

I have largely held back from commenting on the Trump dystopia - largely because it renders satire redundant, in part because I still have friends in the US military who are serving, in part because I have found friends and family in the USA, but mostly because I would find it heartbreaking to watch a nation born out of the Age of Enlightenment becoming a parody of the worst sort of Banana Republic. Now, however, we are confronted with the sort of twilight of the gods scenario last seen in Berlin in 1945. Even for a hardened cynic like me, there s room for pity as the latter day Camelot* turns to dust before us.

* if you overlook just about everybody post that man of clay Kennedy.

ipso_facto

Old-Salt
[QUOTE="ipso_facto, post: 10060759, member: 167332"

In fact President Trump is very clever in making the state governors responsible and only stepping in when they've shown themselves incompetent.
Is that 'clever' as in being a good President and national leader, or 'clever' as in playing it all off to his own personal advantage?
[/QUOTE]

Sometimes you can't tell people, you have to show them.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Is that 'clever' as in being a good President and national leader, or 'clever' as in playing it all off to his own personal advantage?
[/QUOTE]
Well he's never told us he's a complete and utter *&^$ but he certainly has shown us, so you are correct there. I couldn't be arsed to sort your balls up of the quote function either.

You have a very odd view of success, odd you should bring confronting Russia into though. There has been no freshness to Trump just a stench of venal corruption. The events are indeed out of his control, and he has done nothing to try and control them either.
Not really, as doing nothing can be a success, if you accept the alternatives may have ended up, with an even bigger mess... On corruption, your saying that Clinton and biden are not venal and corrupt ?

On events, nobody is in control and nobody else would be able to get control, without force, or waiting out the idiots out.

Most leaders have the balls to take charge, make decisions, and take the responsibility that goes with those decisions. "I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY" Donald Trump. 2020.

Leadership means leading from the front not from behind then pass the blame on when things go tits up. Donald Trump. 2017 - 2020.

Leadership requires listening to a team of advisors and making decisions based on the facts provided.

Leadership does not involve creating an alternative reality to match decisions made.

Leadership does not involve dividing a country.

The orange faced man baby you truppits are in love with has tiny soft squishy scaredy cat balls.

1591118504221.png

[QUOTE="ipso_facto, post: 10060759, member: 167332"

In fact President Trump is very clever in making the state governors responsible and only stepping in when they've shown themselves incompetent.
[/QUOTE]

There is a very fine line between the benefits of action and those of inaction here. In general, the USG should not interfere with state law enforcement. The states all have their National Guards, and the President has been encouraging the Governors to make more use of the resources they have to contain the problem at hand. However, there comes a point where in some states, there is either an inability to contain the problem despite best efforts, or possibly mere lip service being paid to maintenance of order because the political embarrassment of the establishment is actually desired.

In some cases, the cities are against the state. This is true in Atlanta, the mayor and state Governor don’t seem to be on the same page at all.

The USG, and President have a responsibility to protect the citizenry, and if the actions of the individual states compromise that safety, then the USG may feel that is the time to step in and deploy Federal troops and/or Police. I didn’t know until I read it earlier, the USG can Federalize the NG. The government could federalize say Georgia’s National Guard and call it up en masse. Or deploy thousands of troops from Ft Benning. But that would be massive interference in what would most definitely be seen as the State’s business.

There’s no one-size-fits-all answer here, in terms of Presidential/USG action or inaction. Quite why anybody would ever want that job is completely beyond me. It doesn’t really matter who the President actually is, or what political shade they are, none of them can do right by everybody, and will always upset some part of the spectrum of society. If this current race thing results in massive change in the blacks’ favor, it will annoy the right-wing conservatives. If it results in no change, it will annoy the left-wing liberals.

It’s like refereeing a heavyweight boxing bout, with the proviso that the loser gets to kick fcuk out of the referee.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Not really, as doing nothing can be a success, if you accept the alternatives may have ended up, with an even bigger mess... On corruption, your saying that Clinton and biden are not venal and corrupt ?

On events, nobody is in control and nobody else would be able to get control, without force, or waiting out the idiots out.
Did you not read my post then? If you had you would have seen I said they were all equally as corrupt and venal, doing nothing can be a success but I would say it is more likely to be a disaster as shown by the current shambles over there. Which while not of his making has been made worse by his buck passing and spending more time being outraged on Twitter than actually doing something.

Most leaders have the balls to take charge, make decisions, and take the responsibility that goes with those decisions. "I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY" Donald Trump. 2020.

Leadership means leading from the front not from behind then pass the blame on when things go tits up. Donald Trump. 2017 - 2020.

Leadership requires listening to a team of advisors and making decisions based on the facts provided.

Leadership does not involve creating an alternative reality to match decisions made.

Leadership does not involve dividing a country.

The orange faced man baby you truppits are in love with has tiny soft squishy scaredy cat balls.

View attachment 478830
The US is enormously divided and its frankly a laughable analysis to believe that any president in recent decades has brought people together... On leadership, its certainly true that trump is not one, but who on the other side of the chasm do you think is ?

Obama like Blair, had likable personas, but both men were vacuous suits hussling the foolish into voting for them, on promises that things can only get better and delivering absolutely nothing of the sort.

Did you not read my post then? If you had you would have seen I said they were all equally as corrupt and venal, doing nothing can be a success but I would say it is more likely to be a disaster as shown by the current shambles over there. Which while not of his making has been made worse by his buck passing and spending more time being outraged on Twitter than actually doing something.
Polarisation in US politics had reached a tipping point long before trump ascended to the throne (Dubya and hanging chads). I think people who lean away from trump, are largely deaf to the hated trumpets and vice versa...

If we haven't learned anything in 3 years of pointless brexit debate. You only have debate and a working democracy, when the other side displays a modicum of respect. I haven't seen an ounce of respect given and Trump unlike a professional politician, reacts to attacks and my view is you reap what you sew i.e. the anti-trumpets created this situation, as the right did with Obama personal attacks.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Polarisation in US politics had reached a tipping point long before trump ascended to the throne (Dubya and hanging chads). I think people who lean away from trump, are largely deaf to the hated trumpets and vice versa...

If we haven't learned anything in 3 years of pointless brexit debate. You only have debate and a working democracy, when the other side displays a modicum of respect. I haven't seen an ounce of respect given and Trump unlike a professional politician, reacts to attacks and my view is you reap what you sew i.e. the anti-trumpets created this situation, as the right did with Obama personal attacks.
So basically it's everybody's fault but Trump? Interesting viewpoint. Respect is earned, maybe when or more likely IF he stops behaving like a child who's been told he can't have sweeties, he might get some.

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
Just to pour a splash of petrol (gas) on the fire, the bible was upside down. An upside down bible inverts the cross has habitually imprinted on the frontispiece and an inverted cross is associated with satanic rituals... Ergo, Trump is the anti-Christ. Sits back, pops a can of Guinness draft and smiles...
My version is a lot simpler. Occams razor and that. Trump is a ********.

Were the protesting or rioting?

Protesting would be protected, particularly against governmental suppression?
The reports I have read say that it was a protest. Over the past few days, evidence suggests that protests have the real potential to spiral out of control very quickly.

So basically it's everybody's fault but Trump? Interesting viewpoint. Respect is earned, maybe when or more likely IF he stops behaving like a child who's been told he can't have sweeties, he might get some.
Never said that.... I did in another post, offer a view that trump is not a leader and he simply took the polarised game and said: respect from the other side, its simply not worth it.

I'm not American, but at the 2016 election, I probably leaned more towards rand paul. I can remember the democrat attack ads all targeting the republican candidates at a relentless pace. Who was the one person given an easy ride by the media ?? the answer is Donald trump, he is a media creation and I find it most amusing that his biggest detractors effectively created him.

But surely are protected under the 1st Amendment?
I guess it all comes down to the interpretation of protest. CNN have been using protest instead of riot for a few days. As for police reactions, that will come down to the commander on the ground.

ETA There was a 7pm curfew in place so the police moved to clear the protest in advance of the deadline which was the approximate time of Trump's walkabout.

Last edited: