The Trump Presidency...

God rarely takes away the gifts he gave us Brits.
Yep, Slough, Middlesbrough, Skegness and Liverpool will be with the British Isles for millennia.

Agreed on the accent, although I do use American words like “hood” instead of bonnet, so that I am understood more easily. Too many “fresh off the boat” types use their original words and insist they’re right, unfortunately failing to realize that they’re just making fools of themselves. In fairness, I was one of those for 3 years or so. It took me a while to realize I was just making life unnecessarily difficult for myself.

As for grilling, all my own work. There’s been a few disasters along the way, and that’s where one learns what works and what doesn’t. I’ve never driven a semi-articulated truck in my life, but between driving fixed-wheelbase wagons and being able to reverse a trailer, I’d figure it out. Grilling was much the same.
It does reduce the number of lost in translation moments, which as you mentioned makes life a whole easier for all parties involved.

Learn by doing is how it goes for many. Although I wouldn't mind a few years at a culinary school and to be called a stupid C*nt by the likes of Ramsay to up the game.

It's that damned accent that you folks never seem to drop, even after decades here. Which floors me. One would figure it would start to degrade a little over time. It is a competitive advantage state side.
I have a brother-in-law and sister-in-law who emigrated to Canada many years ago, with their (at the time) young kids. They still sound the same, however the kids sound native.

I have a brother-in-law and sister-in-law who emigrated to Canada many years ago, with their (at the time) young kids. They still sound the same, however the kids sound native.
Happens to all you lot who come over and settle, which is weird. One would think with one parent having the accent the kids would pick it up and home and imitate it to an extent. But none seem to do so. Much the same with the 2nd and 3rd generation Hispanics. I had one classmate in school whose parents came over from Germany and settled here. Her mom was my German teacher, but her daughter did not sound like a Kraut at all.

Schools and fitting in.
Part of it yes, but we don't throw them in Preschool normally until they are about 3-4 years old. Not all kids go to daycare or preschool so it is possible to keep your child at home until they are required to go to Kindergarten when they hit 5. My niece in NC had picked up and started to imitate you lot when she watched Peppa Pig.

...keep your child at home until they are required to go to Kindergarten when they hit 5.
But isn't that government oppression against their freedom and constitutional rights?

Well personally, I’ll take failure all day long if it means my net worth is north of $2bn.

That’s net worth. So whatever he owes to the banks, take that off the value of his assets, and he’s still a multi-billionaire. I get that you don’t like him, but buffoon or otherwise, he’s done alright for himself.

Personally, I can take or leave him, but the tear-stained faces of the snowflakes when he was elected were just outstanding. I’ll always be grateful to him for that, at least :)
As I understand it, if he’d taken the money he inherited from his dad and had put it in a deposit account, he’d be better off.

Only another six months (!!!) of campaigning to live through; makes strict lockdown seem a doddle by comparison!

'Voters in Utah remain almost evenly split on which presidential candidate they will support in November a new poll finds, a surprising result since voters there have supported every Republican nominee since 1968, often by huge margins.'

I’d have to concur with @SOCALSapper, none of it’s been particularly hard. Some irritants/things I’ve noticed over the years though:

I did my immigration entirely legally, above board, and was about the most straightforward case there could be. I legitimately transferred as an executive/manager from the UK HQ to the US subsidiary, for which there’s a specific visa, and subsequent green card category. It was still immensely stressful and expensive. Didn’t much care for that, but it wasn’t hard per se.

As time’s gone by, I am losing touch with the UK culture. I really don’t have a clue what “woke” means, and even if I did have a good handle on it, there’s barely any minorities where I live, so doesn’t really apply (within my limited understanding of the term). “Momentum“ is something that appeared long after I left the UK, and I don’t really know what that is either. I think it’s some kind of hard-Left politics, but I don’t have a good feel for it.

People post memes and photos of TV shows on here, and I am left floundering. Half of the TV names I have never seen, so they don’t mean anything to me. HS2 was just a pipe dream when I left, but it seems it’s politically divisive. The whole Brexit thing I’ve observed from afar, but my views are based on 15 years ago, I know I’m out of touch with it. It was fun to drop the odd hand grenade in the argument threads though :)

Looking back, I suppose the hardest thing was beating the women off with a shitty stick the moment I opened my mouth :) I married my wife in 2007, been with her a couple years before that, and I’ve been a good boy. But I could have had a few dozen notches on my belt in that time, had I been so minded :) Hell, even in my new job (been there 6 months), my boss says “You’re our secret weapon. When the rest of us say something to a customer, it’s information. When you say it, it’s fact”. Again, not hard, but there’s been some temptation!
The accent is a curse and a blessing - People who dont speak English as a first language have no idea what I am saying. The ladies do indeed love it..Especially when they see I have nice teeth as well!

It does indeed work well in the office setting too. Most British people I encounter do come across as very cheap/frugal and old fashioned...

I am self taught BBQ/grill/Smoking. I love the price/availability/quality of U.S meat and the weather is so good...I had to get proficient!

The accent is a curse and a blessing - People who dont speak English as a first language have no idea what I am saying. The ladies do indeed love it..Especially when they see I have nice teeth as well!

It does indeed work well in the office setting too. Most British people I encounter do come across as very cheap/frugal and old fashioned...

I am self taught BBQ/grill/Smoking. I love the price/availability/quality of U.S meat and the weather is so good...I had to get proficient!

Well you all tend to sound rather posh to an American ear, unless of course you are Welsh...

Then this scene is what takes place... Had a gent from the Airport shuttle company who was native Welshman. Very polite and probably called me a **** a few times, but I wouldn't have known the difference as I could not follow him.

ipso_facto

Old-Salt
As the Lancet is the gold standard for publishing medical research I'm pretty sure they were familiar with and rigorous in confirming the protocols used, they do have a reputation to uphold after all and aren't prone to being involved in global conspiracies to stop President Trump from holding rallies.

I know Trump is familiar with The Lancet as he mentioned an article they published in December warning about the coming pandemic which he said the WHO ignored. This was news to The Lancet as they had not published any such warning and subsequently sent him a "bitch please" letter, I'm sure he will be calling it fake news once he gets off the links.
I'm not sure if I understand your post.

As far as I know The Lancet is a publishing company and not a research organisation. When someone carries out research, on completion they write it up and submit it to a journal for publication. The design of the research is decided by the researchers and the funders and not the journal. The paper is then sent to anonymous reviewers (peer reviewers with some expertise in the area). If everything seems OK they give the go ahead for publication. There is (or should be) no connection between the researchers and the reviewers and the editorial board.

This study showed results for the specific combination of drugs they used. Personally I have reservations about anything coming out of Turkey or even China for that matter.

Scientific journals should be above politics but in reality they're not because they can choose what they publish.

I looked at President Trump's letter and it is ambiguous. If whoever wrote it had used 'and' instead of a comma then the meaning would have been clearer. Reports came out in December and The Lancet published their first paper on 24 January. Technically The President is correct, it took the WHO until 30th January to declare a pandemic. I suspect he is being given up-to-date information on the research and his finger is on the pulse probably more so than the WHO. If you read the rest of the letter you'll see how the WHO had been faffing around. President Trump took decisive action the following day (31st January) by stopping all flights from China.

Curious the Lancet does not comment on the other points The President makes in his letter. I think the editorial board showed it has deep state actors in it. Their ill judged attack on President Trump is unprecedented. The correct way of handling this was to seek clarification of the statement rather than piling on him and not really addressing the other issues raised. I'm afraid the Lancet's reputation has been tarnished by the way it has handled this.

Not just the case with Brits moving to America.

Apart from time abroad I have only ever lived in London, Surrey and Hampshire. I have a very neutral Home Counties accent (obviously not an accent at all to me and my friends/colleagues).

A year ago I retired to a semi-rural part of West Yorkshire. The local peasantry cannot understand a word I say and look at me mystified. Several people have said to me "oooooh yoooor posh" which is frankly bollox. I ought to reply "no, you are a fookin peasant" but politely mutter "not at all" (coz I ain't innit).

If they type their gibberish the way they speak it then the vowel keys on their keyboards must be totally screwed.

Top tip: When visiting Yorkshire bring extra vowels.

Oh dear
The irony contained in these three sentences is delicious.

Mr Trump tweeted, without providing evidence: "There is NO WAY (ZERO!) that Mail-In Ballots will be anything less than substantially fraudulent."
Twitter put a warning label in the post and linked to a page that described the claims as "unsubstantiated".
President Trump responded by tweeting again, saying the social media giant "is completely stifling free speech".
YCMIU.

Latest Threads