The Trump Presidency...

@Swan Song

But that is the thing isn't it.

But for his apparent desire to better that uppity Obama, Trump could have lived out his days cheating on his wives,business partners and generally being obnoxious (none of which are crimes, or st least there is a civil remedy).

Now he has to look over his shoulder at four years of incompetent malevolence (with maybe another four to come).

If I thought him capable of planning, I'd wonder if the whole idea is to die in office of natural causes having evaded liability, shouting "executive privillege"*, and used the federal government for his and his family's personal gain.

*best shouted like that badly in Lethal Weapon.

Incidentally, i suspect that is the limit and scope of both trump and many in his administration's briefing on ,and comprehension of, the Vienna conventions.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The Democrats are just like Labour are in this country at the moment; just pissed off that the great unwashed did not vote for their "whiter-than-white" candidate. How dare the voter ignore their great plan?

Like UK Labour, the Democrats don't really have a good candidate to put up against the incumbent, but it is still the fault of the voters, not the Democratic Party!

@Swan Song

But that is the thing isn't it.

But for his apparent desire to better that uppity Obama, Trump could have lived out his days cheating on his wives,business partners and generally being obnoxious (none of which are crimes, or st least there is a civil remedy).

Now he has to look over his shoulder at four years of incompetent malevolence (with maybe another four to come).

If I thought him capable of planning, I'd wonder if the whole idea is to die in office of natural causes having evaded liability, shouting "executive privillege"*, and used the federal government for his and his family's personal gain.

*best shouted like that badly in Lethal Weapon.

Incidentally, i suspect that is the limit and scope of both trump and many in his administration's briefing on ,and comprehension of, the Vienna conventions.
More importantly, apart from undoing the work of an intelligent, gracious, non treasonous, uppity nigra, is the value of the Presidential pardon.
While he is in office, the Feds can't touch him.
Ultimately, the game plan is probably to hand the Presidency over to Pence the Puritan, and allow Pence to pardon him for the incredible number of crimes he has committed.

Otherwise, I suspect Trump, Trump jnr, Kushner, Giuliani and the rest of the entourage are going to be arrested by the Feds the day after a Democratic inauguration on racketeering charges, and the Trump Organisation broken up like a cheap Mafia group. Because that is what it is.

More importantly, apart from undoing the work of an intelligent, gracious, non treasonous, uppity nigra, is the value of the Presidential pardon.
While he is in office, the Feds can't touch him.
Ultimately, the game plan is probably to hand the Presidency over to Pence the Puritan, and allow Pence to pardon him for the incredible number of crimes he has committed.

Otherwise, I suspect Trump, Trump jnr, Kushner, Giuliani and the rest of the entourage are going to be arrested by the Feds the day after a Democratic inauguration on racketeering charges, and the Trump Organisation broken up like a cheap Mafia group. Because that is what it is.
Rather unfair, the Mafia could at least run an organisation.

I think however we owe the republicans a debt of gratitude for bringing back into vogue such words as "obeisancent" and "abasement".

I do wonder if the republican whips have properly briefed their troops on how to receive his radiant munificence next week

I hope he rocks up dressed like Pooh-Bah, and we can make a proper comic opera of this whole event.

That is Clinton lying about a crime he had committed.
Rather different from Trump proclaiming he had in fact made the PERFECT phone call on Twitter, was proud of the fact he had committed the crime, and confirming it repeatedly.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Rather different from Trump proclaiming he had in fact made the PERFECT phone call on Twitter, was proud of the fact he had committed the crime, and confirming it repeatedly.
It's labrat, he is a bit special that way.

It is a clearly sarcastic article, but quite entertaining.

A group of moderate Republicans has expressed openness in recent weeks to hearing from witnesses and a desire to weigh the charges against Trump on the merits. Those positions could quickly wither under personal pressure from Trump, who has directed rage at any suggestion that his conduct was less than perfect.

House Republicans responded vigorously to Trump’s demands that they defend him, offering worshipful assessments of Trump’s conduct, which they said was motivated by Trump’s desire to fight corruption in Ukraine.

It really is very funny. I mean, Trump fighting corruption.

No it isn’t, it’s Clinton telling the truth about what happened, but misleadingly (the definition of sexual relations adopted meant that what he said was technically true of the alleged conduct).
Clinton was impeached not for this, but for perjuring himself in his Deposition to a grand jury (perjury being not just ‘not lawful’ but an actual crime).
and let’s not forget, Clinton was Aquitted.

So, we’ll done for successfully proving that you don’t know what the **** you’re talking about

No it isn’t, it’s Clinton telling the truth about what happened, but misleadingly (the definition of sexual relations adopted meant that what he said was technically true of the alleged conduct).
Clinton was impeached not for this, but for perjuring himself in his Deposition to a grand jury (perjury being not just ‘not lawful’ but an actual crime).
and let’s not forget, Clinton was Aquitted.

So, we’ll done for successfully proving that you don’t know what the **** you’re talking about
Err..
Clinton explicitly said "I Did not..." when he had.
Trump explicitly said "I made a PERFECT phone call". When he had made a phone call.

Clinton was charged with a totally different crime. Perjury. He lied to Congress to cover up some petty infidelity and got off on a technicality.

Trump is accused of Obstruction, misusing US foreign policy to pursue personal (I won't say Party, because the GOP is now a personality cult) political advantage, and against policy as set by Congress.
He has publicly and repeatedly admitted doing so.

The question isn't whether he did it.
It is whether his bizarre fixation on trying to prove the son of a political opponent is corrupt justifies his actions.

It simply doesn't matter if Hunter Biden is Jack the Ripper. It is irrelevant. There is no point in even trying to call him as a witness, as Trump wants.
Was he on the phone call? No.
Is he on trial? No.
Can he offer any testimony to Trump's actions? No.

He isn't on trial for his crimes.
Trump is on trial for his.

This seems to have gone over your head entirely.

Clinton was charged with a totally different crime. Perjury. He lied to Congress to cover up some petty infidelity and got off on a technicality.

Trump is accused of Obstruction, misusing US foreign policy to pursue personal (I won't say Party, because the GOP is now a personality cult) political advantage, and against policy as set by Congress.
He has publicly and repeatedly admitted doing so.
a simple point of order - Clinton wasn’t just charged with a ‘totally different crime‘, he was charged with an actual specific Crime... Trump hasn’t been.
The question isn't whether he did it.
It is whether his bizarre fixation on trying to prove the son of a political opponent is corrupt justifies his actions.
is the son of his political opponent called Burisma Or something? That’s the investigation Trump inquired about, nobody even mentioned Biden.
It simply doesn't matter if Hunter Biden is Jack the Ripper. It is irrelevant. There is no point in even trying to call him as a witness, as Trump wants.
You think that potential corruption in the spending of US aid money to Ukraine shouldn't Be investigated? That’s an utterly remarkable statement!
Was he on the phone call? No.
none of the witnesses called in congress were either
Is he on trial? No.
None of the witnesses called In Congress were either
Can he offer any testimony to Trump's actions? No.
none of the witnesses in congress could either
He isn't on trial for his crimes.
Trump is on trial for his.
go on, name the actual *crime* Trump is accused of.
This seems to have gone over your head entirely.
It seems to me that what’s gone over your head is that Trump isn’t actually accused of any high crimes or misdemeanours, just with doing his job.

a simple point of order - Clinton wasn’t just charged with a ‘totally different crime‘, he was charged with an actual specific Crime... Trump hasn’t been.
Yes he has. Hint. That's why he has been impeached. Sheesh.

is the son of his political opponent called Burisma Or something? That’s the investigation Trump inquired about, nobody even mentioned Biden.
Idiot. Hunter Biden had a job with Burisma, a Ukrainian petrochrm company. Trump has being trying to get the Ukrainian government to investigate him for "corruption". To leverage this he withheld Congressional a dated military aid. This us Obstruction. A crime. HINT.

You think that potential corruption in the spending of US aid money to Ukraine shouldn't Be investigated? That’s an utterly remarkable statement!
NO.
I am saying that if it needs investigating, investigate it. Ask the authorities. Use the police system. But what you don't do is use the hypothetical crimes of someone else to justify your crimes. That is insane. It is the kind of moral insanity so beloved of Russian trolls. "They are criminals, so I am allowed to be."

none of the witnesses called in congress were either

None of the witnesses called In Congress were either

none of the witnesses in congress could either

go on, name the actual *crime* Trump is accused of.
Two charges.
Abuse of power.
Obstruction of Congress.
Next idiot question?

It seems to me that what’s gone over your head is that Trump isn’t actually accused of any high crimes or misdemeanours, just with doing his job.
.... And there we jump the shark, into some weird parallel universe of Trumpton.

Factually wrong on every point, and his "job" as President defined by the Oath of office.
"I do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States".
He has signally failed to execute the ffice, in even within his highly limited ability, driven a coach and horses through the Constitution by trying to bypass Congress for some cheap political points over Joe Biden.

.... And there we jump the shark, into some weird parallel universe of Trumpton.

Factually wrong on every point, and his "job" as President defined by the Oath of office.
"I do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States".
He has signally failed to execute the ffice, in even within his highly limited ability, driven a coach and horses through the Constitution by trying to bypass Congress for some cheap political points over Joe Biden.
go on, then, name the actual *crime* Trump is accused of In the impeachment

go on, then, name the actual *crime* Trump is accused of In the impeachment
Read my point by point rebuttal in your first spiel. They are in the Articles of Impeachment.

There are two crimes he is charged with.
Article I Abuse of power.
Article II Obstruction of Congress.

What world do you live in? Had you missed something? Like reality?

Impeachment is not valid unless its bipartisan, just as Nancy Pelosi said in March 2019.

But is now ignoring.
I'll bet she'll be delighted to know that her words determine what is and isn't an impeachment rather than the US Constitution.

Rubbing her hands with glee, I'll bet.

Impeachment is not valid unless its bipartisan, just as Nancy Pelosi said in March 2019.

But is now ignoring.
That may have been her opinion, but was it the law?
Which means what exactly? That you need all the parties to agree? As opposed to what ACTUALLY happened, that the House of Representatives voted to impeach him?
That the Articles as voted are invalid?
That the charges aren't legal?
Good luck with that one.

And you don't see anything wrong with only the opposite party voting to impeach the other parties president ?

You probably don't do you ?

And you don't see anything wrong with only the opposite party voting to impeach the other parties president ?

You probably don't do you ?
You don't see anything wrong with the President's party voting not to regardless of the evidence before them?

1579279095982.png

1579279135453.png

You think the Republicans all voting one way is evidence of a banana republic but this doesn't apply to the Democrats when they all vote one way.
I think an Omertaesque closing of ranks designed to protect their Capo di tutti capo is a clear sign that checks and balances need a bit of a tweak.

Perhaps a few civics lessons would be in order too.

Latest Threads