The Trump Presidency...

US and China agree to suspend new tariffs

Interesting article, anybody have any more details?
For my money, the big tell is this:

China will buy a "very substantial" amount of agricultural, industrial and energy products, the US says.
Or in grown-up speak, he's finally grasped that targeted retaliatory tariffs can cripple primary industries and this is not a good thing if you depend on the secondary votes associated with them to cling to power. Doubtless glove puppets were involved.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer

Probably not helped by General Motors cutting 14,000 jobs in the U.S last week.

They added that US Tariffs on steel would add $1Bn to their costs .

From The Observer piece quoted above:

GM’s decision was attributed to several factors: vehicle production is cheaper in Mexico and the far east, the advent of electric and, prospectively, driverless cars is revolutionising the global market, and ride-sharing apps are depressing sales. The harsh truth was clear, at it has been for many years. The days of relatively highly paid, secure, unionised jobs-for-life in the US car industry, and manufacturing in general, are gone forever – and Trump should never have pretended otherwise.

Predictably, Trump refused to accept he was in the wrong, instead blaming GM’s management. But the figures speak for themselves. Factory employment in the US fell to 11.5m jobs after the 2008 crash. Since then, only 1.3m have been added, less than a third during Trump’s presidency. What goes for cars goes for coal and steel, too. Trump’s vow to lead a national industrial revival was a gross deceit. Increasingly, his electoral base is paying the price of his vain pledges.

Last edited:
To sumerise.

He knows he's been caught with his hand in the cookie jar and the grown-ups around him have told him to toe the line or else.
Toe the line?
With his fragile ego?
With his loud, boorish, uncultured, corrupt mouth?
With his complete lack of grasp on reality, financial or otherwise?

I rather suspect that's "or else" territory I see on the horizon.

After looking at the news from Chinese and other media outlets for the past hour or so the idea that Trump struck some kind of “incredible” trade deal does not appear to exist outside the president’s head. All that happened was the US & China agreed not to impose any further tariffs for 90 days, and resume them if further talks don’t yield a breakthrough!!

Even though the White House said Beijing has agreed to purchase “a not yet agreed upon, but very substantial” amount of U.S. agricultural, energy, industrial, and other products in order “to reduce the trade imbalance between our two countries.” It did nothing to back up the president’s claims that China is calling off any tariffs, saying only that there is a temporary agreement not to raise them further, which is a totally different thing.

In addition, the White House gave no indication of China “opening up” its markets, or stopping the 40% tariff on US car imports as Trump claimed.

My call it's another one of those Donny Bullshitter stories to try and make him look good.

After looking at the news from Chinese and other media outlets for the past hour or so the idea that Trump struck some kind of “incredible” trade deal does not appear to exist outside the president’s head. All that happened was the US & China agreed not to impose any further tariffs for 90 days, and resume them if further talks don’t yield a breakthrough!!

Even though the White House said Beijing has agreed to purchase “a not yet agreed upon, but very substantial” amount of U.S. agricultural, energy, industrial, and other products in order “to reduce the trade imbalance between our two countries.” It did nothing to back up the president’s claims that China is calling off any tariffs, saying only that there is a temporary agreement not to raise them further, which is a totally different thing.

In addition, the White House gave no indication of China “opening up” its markets, or stopping the 40% tariff on US car imports as Trump claimed.

My call it's another one of those Donny Bullshitter stories to try and make him look good.
We shall find out soon, but the Stock market seems to like the ceasefire at least!

GOVERNMENT
Donald Trump Is Witness Tampering Again
I mean, why do we even have witness tampering laws if this is going to be okay.By ELIE MYSTAL. Above the Law Link

If you’re about to testify about the Mafia, and goodfella shows up outside your house and says “nice family there, it’d be a shame if anything happened to them,” that’d be witness tampering.
If you were about to testify about you boss, and your boss took you to the racquetball club and gave you a big speech about loyalty before dangling a promotion in front of you, that’d be witness tampering.
The reason why both of those conversations would happen in private is because the mafioso and the shady boss know that there are laws against witness tampering and they’re not trying to catch an obstruction of justice charge while intimidating you.

We live in a world where the President of the United States violates these laws against witness tampering, and he violates them in public from the Oval Office (or wherever Trump accesses Twitter). NOBODY has sufficiently explained to me why he faces no consequences for activity that would get any thug on the street thrown in jail.

Donald Trump is witness tampering again, today, IN FRONT OF OUR VERY EYES.

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1069613383622803456

“Michael Cohen asks judge for no Prison Time.” You mean he can do all of the TERRIBLE, unrelated to Trump, things having to do with fraud, big loans, Taxis, etc., and not serve a long prison term? He makes up stories to get a GREAT & ALREADY reduced deal for himself, and get.....

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1069614615510859776

....his wife and father-in-law (who has the money?) off Scott Free. He lied for this outcome and should, in my opinion, serve a full and complete sentence.
https://twitter.com/intent/like?tweet_id=1069614615510859776
That’s the President of the United States making a sentencing recommendation about an ongoing investigation where he is one of the individuals being investigated, while praising the “guts” of a witness who refuses to cooperate with authorities. The clear INTENT is to intimidate Stone and any other person considering of testifying against Trump. He’s telling them that “guts” will be rewarded, while he will use the full powers of his bully pulpit to get the harshest possible penalties for those who testify against him.​
and the next one:​
Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1069619316319035392

“I will never testify against Trump.” This statement was recently made by Roger Stone, essentially stating that he will not be forced by a rogue and out of control prosecutor to make up lies and stories about “President Trump.” Nice to know that some people still have “guts!”

10:48 AM - Dec 3, 2018
THAT’S ILLEGAL.

Here’s from Lawfare, which wrote about Trump’s witness tampering over the summer… because Trump has publicly engaged in witness tampering before:
First, encouraging witness misbehavior, unlike firing officials or directing the conduct of federal law enforcement, is not plausibly within the president’s Article II functions. In urging a potential witness not to cooperate with a federal investigation that touches on his own conduct, the president is much more like a normal citizen before the justice system and much less distinctive, as even those most skeptical of the application of obstruction laws to the president concede. “The president can obstruct justice,” Josh Blackman makes clear, even in arguing that he “cannot obstruct justice when he exercises his lawful authority that is vested by Article II of the Constitution.” Tampering with a witness is not a lawful authority vested in Trump by Article II.
Second, to the extent that Mueller appears to be considering a pattern of obstructive behavior that includes internal executive-branch management abuses and public communications about law enforcement officials, the additional element of public communications directed at a particular potential witness to encourage that person’s non-cooperation seems significant. Not only does it show that the aggregate pattern does not consist wholly of Article II-authorized behavior, it also widens the scope and breadth of the corrupt behavior at issue.​
If Trump isn’t guilty of witness tampering then “witness tampering” laws are inoperative against the rest of us. That is the result that my liberal tautology ultimately leads me to: Trump is not above the law so laws that are not applied to Trump do not exist. The “but he’s the president” exception doesn’t apply to actions that he takes beyond the scope of Article II’s contemplation of powers. Threatening people who cooperate with federal investigations is CLEARLY beyond the scope of his Article II powers. So if Trump can get away with threatening federal witnesses then… SO CAN EVERYBODY ELSE.

F**k it. Honestly. If there are no rules for Trump then it’s hypocritical to apply rules to anybody else. If there’s going to be freaking ANARCHY then everybody gets to play. I’m not about to be the post-apocalyptic character who is still playing by the rules of a society long since annihilated.

Next time I’m under investigation for my role in a massive criminal conspiracy, I’m going to make it very clear what happens to snitches.
Elie Mystal is the Executive Editor of Above the Law and the Legal Editor for More Perfect. He can be reached @ElieNYC on Twitter, or at elie@abovethelaw.com.

We shall find out soon, but the Stock market seems to like the ceasefire at least!
and so they should but what it does is give shareholders 90 days to shift their money around.

In another one of those "You really can't make this up" stories Donny Dullard trashes the Military Budget of $719 Billion as "Crazy" seemingly forgetting that it was he himself that requested that amount in in the 1st place and has bragged about it at every single one of his "campaign rallies".

U.S.
DONALD TRUMP SLAMS MASSIVE MILITARY SPENDING HE ONCE CELEBRATED, BEMOANS 'UNCONTROLLABLE ARMS RACE'
BY JASON LEMON ON 12/3/18 AT 1:38 PM

President Donald Trump took aim at hundreds of billions of dollars he personally authorized in defense spending, calling the amount “crazy” in a Monday-morning Twitter post.
Saying he was “certain” there would be a future meeting with himself and China’s President Xi Jinping as well as Russia’s Vladimir Putin, Trump slammed what he referred to as the three superpowers’ “uncontrollable Arms Race.” Concluding his tweet, Trump wrote: “The U.S. spent 716 Billion Dollars this year. Crazy!”
The amount Trump cited was actually higher than the 2018 military budget, which was set at just under $700 billion. However, in August the president authorized the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA), which gave the military $717 for its 2019 budget. At the time, Trump called the decision the “most significant investment in our military and our war fighters in modern history.” He continued by saying the U.S. would “strengthen our military like never ever before".

In another one of those "You really can't make this up" stories Donny Dullard trashes the Military Budget of $719 Billion as "Crazy" seemingly forgetting that it was he himself that requested that amount in in the 1st place and has bragged about it at every single one of his "campaign rallies".

U.S.
DONALD TRUMP SLAMS MASSIVE MILITARY SPENDING HE ONCE CELEBRATED, BEMOANS 'UNCONTROLLABLE ARMS RACE'
BY JASON LEMON ON 12/3/18 AT 1:38 PM

President Donald Trump took aim at hundreds of billions of dollars he personally authorized in defense spending, calling the amount “crazy” in a Monday-morning Twitter post.
Saying he was “certain” there would be a future meeting with himself and China’s President Xi Jinping as well as Russia’s Vladimir Putin, Trump slammed what he referred to as the three superpowers’ “uncontrollable Arms Race.” Concluding his tweet, Trump wrote: “The U.S. spent 716 Billion Dollars this year. Crazy!”
The amount Trump cited was actually higher than the 2018 military budget, which was set at just under $700 billion. However, in August the president authorized the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA), which gave the military $717 for its 2019 budget. At the time, Trump called the decision the “most significant investment in our military and our war fighters in modern history.” He continued by saying the U.S. would “strengthen our military like never ever before".
Yes, and the military needs the money. The stupid **** does not seem to understand that his supposed goal was to rebuild the US military from the gutting of the Obama Presidency.

1543867013827.png

Jim Carrey (C)

Yes, and the military needs the money. The stupid **** does not seem to understand that his supposed goal was to rebuild the US military from the gutting of the Obama Presidency.
No, his supposed goal was to get enough gullible halfwits to believe him to get elected.
After which he would try and rule like Caligula while diving so deep into the public purse he needs to decompress on the way up with the loot.

I just think the Orange goblin has Alzheimer's.
I expect that defense will be trotted out at some point, despite his declaration of himself as the healthiest POTUS evah.

Like Ernest Saunders.

I expect that defense will be trotted out at some point, despite his declaration of himself as the healthiest POTUS evah.

Like Ernest Saunders.
Well if he croaks Pence takes over, I can live with that but I think you folks would really be shitting. That man is a believer and he will spring forth like Christ come to cleanse the temple.

Well if he croaks Pence takes over, I can live with that but I think you folks would really be shitting. That man is a believer and he will spring forth like Christ come to cleanse the temple.
I read that Pence won't be in a room alone with a woman who isn't his wife.

I expect his first EO would be to institute handmaidenry.

I read that Pence won't be in a room alone with a woman who isn't his wife.

I expect his first EO would be to institute handmaidenry.
Yup, and in today's world boys and girls have to be able to work together as functioning adults. I don't care if he is a devout Christian but he has to remember not everybody is, and not all non believers are infidels.

I can't wait until he shits himself in public . It's going to be epic.
He'll go purple and look really angry, start waving his arms around and speak like he's forgotten English.

It may be hard to tell, actually.

Latest Threads