The Trump Presidency...

I am sure Turing would be delighted how his vision has become realised.....

In his paper that put forward the question "Can machines think" (and do androids dream of electric sheep?), he described the problem of computing and artificial intelligence which became the Turing test*

"We can only see a short distance ahead, but we can see plenty there that needs to be done"

Alan Turing, "Computer machinery and Intelligence" 1950.

*And also gave us those bloody check box things, "Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart"

Probably my unfamiliarity with the US system, but....

Any investigations must be started by the House of Representatives (which the Democratic party controls).

Any impeachment would lead to a trial in the Senate (which the Republican Party controls).

Have I got that bit right?

If the above it true -

Firing his Attornery General simply looks like the actions of a chap who knows he won't be successfully impeached by a Senate he controls, so he can just fire the AG and put someone in place to block the Mueller inquiry.

Hardly a cunning plan is it?

But for a chap who simply doesn't care what people think, effective.

Probably my unfamiliarity with the US system, but....

Any investigations must be started by the House of Representatives (which the Democratic party controls).

Any impeachment would lead to a trial in the Senate (which the Republican Party controls).

Have I got that bit right?

If the above it true -

Firing his Attornery General simply looks like the actions of a chap who knows he won't be successfully impeached by a Senate he controls, so he can just fire the AG and put someone in place to block the Mueller inquiry.

Hardly a cunning plan is it?

But for a chap who simply doesn't care what people think, effective.
It really depends on what Mueller has and if he has all his ducks in a row, I doubt the democrats will try for impeachment unless the investigation has turned up something so damming that it becomes the only option and one that even Trumps lick spittle's can't hand wave away.

It really depends on what Mueller has and if he has all his ducks in a row, I doubt the democrats will try for impeachment unless the investigation has turned up something so damming that it becomes the only option and one that even Trumps lick spittle's can't hand wave away.
I think you have more faith than I do.

I think Trump believes he really could shoot someone during the State of the Union live on TV and have no consequences.

Which still does not translate into a working system. Ideas are great Sandhurst turning them into reality is the hard part.
The hard part isn't the ideas or making them work, it's getting to be the market winner.

I've been in the computer networking business for more than three decades now. I've moved on to where the current action is, but fifteen and more years ago I was helping to program some of the core routers at the heart of the internet and meeting some of those people mentioned in the Wikipedia articles.

Uncle Sam was behind the rise of the internet as we know it, but in some very round about ways. One was the fostering of the Internet approach of "rough consensus and running code", while the alternative OSI protocols were mired in standards organizations and company politics. The other is less obvious, and that's the anti-trust legislation against AT&T. That resulted in a consent decree that amongst other things kept AT&T out of the computer business. After Unix was developed internally the source code started to get shared around various universities. To avoid legal troubles, AT&T would freely license the operating system and then step back and leave it to the universities to play with as they saw fit. People at Berkeley developed some good programming abstractions ("sockets") and a TCP/IP stack which is still in use (to the extent that I currently have to play with some of it as part of my day job). So, with Unix as the default operating system for academia and a freely available TCP/IP implementation it was natural enough for that to become the default and a generation of students grew up with it.

Meanwhile, the companies developing alternatives had to make a profit somehow, and it was hard to compete against free.

The trouble with the way that the internet developed is that the quick and dirty development ethos skimmed past some of the hard questions. That's why security was an afterthought, why it's so easy to forge mail, etc etc.

Well when you think like a member of the Civilized world, government funding priorities are a bit different.

I pay taxes that are used for the priorities that are what Government is supposed to regulate. Healthcare is not a right here, it is an individual responsibility. Free college is not a right either. Everybody get's the opportunity but funding it is your responsibility not mine.
Well, that's not the behaviour of a fully civilised country.

Duh the 2nd Amendment??

What is wrong with individual responsibility? Are you unable to manage your own affairs to the point where Big Brother has to do everything for you comrade?
You have an army, Navy and Air Force. Shurely a well regulated militia is all you need?

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Jim Acosta from CNN has now had his press pass withdrawn, so much for the freedom of the press and the first amendment.

The Administration have also just used a version of that video that was doctored by Infowars to make the incident look violent.

And people are swallowing it. This is insane

"The party asked you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. This was their final, and most essential command."

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
The Administration have also just used a version of that video that was doctored by Infowars to make the incident look violent.

"The party asked you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. This was their final, and most essential command."
You seem surprised by this.

I’ve tried really hard, but I can’t spot any give away stains on the front of that (very attractive) intern’s dress. Different times at the White House! :smile:

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
You seem surprised by this.
You'd think I be numb to this by now, but this just crazy, anyone who watched the original could see the Admins version is bollock. I expected themm to lie, but to use Infowars to defend their line... Ffs

Well when you think like a member of the Civilized world, government funding priorities are a bit different.

I pay taxes that are used for the priorities that are what Government is supposed to regulate. Healthcare is not a right here, it is an individual responsibility. Free college is not a right either. Everybody get's the opportunity but funding it is your responsibility not mine.
Odd that in most of the civilized world health care is a right and they all think you are a bunch of belters for having what to all intents and purpose is a model based not on what the actual service or procedure costs but how much they can get away with charging and overseen by insurance companies that seem to look for any loophole to avoid paying.

I know how much you hate the ACA but I'd take a punt that Wyoming like some other red states where there are or where industries that left workers vulnerable to chronic lung disease that you as a state are a net beneficiary, In fact if it wasn't for the preexisting conditions clause in the ACA there would have been a lot less voters this week. No surprise that It's the preexisting conditions clause that the Insurance company lobbyists have been fighting tooth and nail to get Trump to remove.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Duh the 2nd Amendment??

What is wrong with individual responsibility? Are you unable to manage your own affairs to the point where Big Brother has to do everything for you comrade?
Yet oddly enough you justify your toys, oh sorry your essential guns, by saying you provide much needed food for the less well off. The fact they clearly survive outside of hunting season aside, why can't they manage their affairs better?

You'd think I be numb to this by now, but this just crazy, anyone who watched the original could see the Admins version is bollocks. I expected them to lie, but to use Infowars to defend their line... Ffs
It just shows how far the administration has fallen for Trumps "enemy of the people' stance, that whole press conference yesterday was a joke.

Yet oddly enough you justify your toys, oh sorry your essential guns, by saying you provide much needed food for the less well off. The fact they clearly survive outside of hunting season aside, why can't they manage their affairs better?
I see where you are coming from but arguing with Jonesy about this is pointless, you will end up banging your head against the sharp corner of a concrete wall.

NUJ condemns Trump's boorish and chilling behaviour
National Union of Journalists. Full Link to NUJ
8 November 2018
Michelle Stanistreet, NUJ general secretary, said: "Donald Trump has already called the press the enemy of the people and has now followed up this dangerous and incendiary language by removing Jim Acosta’s press pass to the White House because he didn’t like the questions he was being asked.
The NUJ joins the journalist community around the globe in condemning this blatant attack on the freedom of the press on the ridiculous grounds that he manhandled an intern, sent to grab back a microphone. We send our solidarity to Jim Acosta and CNN and support their right to hold the president and all those in power to account.
The whole press conference was a disgrace. Donald Trump’s boorish and irrational behaviour is not only unfitting for his office, it is chilling."

A mindless attack against the media
The American president’s tirade is wrong and will only perpetuate half-truths, conspiracy theories and lies
Published: 14:57 November 8, 2018

Gulf News. Gulf News Link

If we are to believe the rhetoric of the midterm campaign, then the US itself seems on a warlike footing, where it is about to be invaded by a caravan of Central American migrants, or where darkness pervades as in some Gotham City graphic novel. Even Trump has promised a warlike response if the Democratic-controlled House of Representatives asks too many questions about his finances or business.
No, President Trump, America is not such a place. If it is at war, it is one of outlook; it is a conflict not a combat over its values; it is a phony war, one manufactured by the Right, that thrives on half-truths, conspiracy theories and outright lies. Clashing with the press is counterproductive. They are not enemies of the people, but messengers, whose job is to hold the powers that be to account. Mr President, you must take that into account.

Last edited:
The basic problem they all have, not that anyone has asked, is at the very best end of the spectrum the russians hacked the DNC data, showing the things it did to ensure Hilary was their nominee for presidential candidate, and put that in the public domain. All of which was accurate and true, and the voting public had the opportunity to consider this before voting.

Second level, is putting posts on social media that highlight factual divisions between the various polar opposite groups in the US, again by pointing out issues.

So, if the mueller investigation hits 100% and substantiates the above allegations, some russians put some facts on the internet and americans may or may not have taken that into account when voting.

Aside from them being russian, the rest is just the campaign trail, and the fact that many americans are offended and worried that they were given factual information to base their votes on if they wanted highlights the issue with a average IQ in the 90's.

No one in DC, not one living soul attached to the US political system is there for America or americans. No one wants or tries to improve life for the many americans who have challenges and issues, they are all there to hear their own voices get louder and feel like they made a difference to their bank balance and historical references.

All the laws are written, and have been for 2000 years, so what do 460 plus congressmen, and 50 senators and their legion of staff and hangers on actually have to do each day? Balance the books, make the trains run on time and not crash, that's pretty much it.

Its liberal democracy that is working overdrive to create a social dependany on people who don't contribute, under the guise of social care and long meandering speeches about untangible's that unless someone pays them for they wont support.

US isn't much different to UK, except you can just opt out, and all of the DC echo chamber goes away, because there is enough space (physically) and politically (State, City, County) to blunt most of the things you don't agree with if you go live with other people who think as you do.

Given the choice, which i had, I choose to live in the US over the UK, because ignoring the bits I don't like, there is way more opportunity in the US, and you can edit down the parts you don't like to a fairly low background minimum.

Latest Threads