• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

The Trump Presidency...

Super glue and cheap lighters aren't going to help when your kid's asthama inhalers run out or when there's no electric and granny's turning yellow because it's time for dialysis.

Without power you've got virtually no hospital treatment (either emergency, ongoing or neo-natal, which all rely on electricity to an extent), you've got no refrigeration either for food or for any number of medicines that have to be kept cold, the sewerage systems aren't going to be working so you've got outbreaks of diseases like dysentery and cholera, you lose the mobile phone network which could affect the emergency services (if they rely on Airwave type systems that work over the mobile network) and which means that you're unable to communicate with rescue services, find out about safe areas, etc. You may not be able to cook either (you're going to struggle to find dry fuel in a major flood and whatever gas/solid fuel you may have prepped with isn't going to last you all that long unless you fancy trying to stay afloat with a 35Kg gas bottle strapped to your back).

Prepping seems like a nice idea and it might get you through a few days in a relatively benign environment. The reality is that in a real shit hits the fan situation like a major natural disaster it's going to make absolutely no difference whatsoever after a few days because there's only so much food, fuel and clean water people can manpack and in a situation of total devastation like PR there's nowhere to go once it runs out because their government abandoned them.
Depends on where you live. There are a few tricks that one can use depending on the time of year etc. If you live in a place here with a frost line you have a freezer. There are ways to dispose of human waste and other nasty things if your willing to take personal administration(hygiene) seriously... It also depends on one's mindset, some people can handle adverse situations better than others.

Super glue and floss will be dead handy for when your house gets blown away or submerged.

I heard an interview on Radio 5 early this morning with a woman who evacuated with her family, she mentioned the motel she was staying in had put their prices up.
Sadly that happens to, anything to make a buck. But hey if you are going to build on the coast you had better plan for these things, just like I plan for the shit that can hit out here. Minus the fact that you won't be manpacking your way out of here.

Depends on where you live. There are a few tricks that one can use depending on the time of year etc. If you live in a place here with a frost line you have a freezer. There are ways to dispose of human waste and other nasty things if your willing to take personal administration(hygiene) seriously... It also depends on one's mindset, some people can handle adverse situations better than others.
You're talking shite.

Puerto Rico, so far as I'm aware, has no frost line. That's also useless for medicines which have to be stored at a controlled temperature.

If your entire country is underwater there is no way to dispose of human waste.

There is no mindset that's going to help get an entire country through a national disaster of the scale that hit Puerto Rico. The only thing that will help is someone coming in with food, wate, shelter and medical aid until the government can rebuild.

You're talking shite.

Puerto Rico, so far as I'm aware, has no frost line. That's also useless for medicines which have to be stored at a controlled temperature.

If your entire country is underwater there is no way to dispose of human waste.

There is no mindset that's going to help get an entire country through a national disaster of the scale that hit Puerto Rico. The only thing that will help is someone coming in with food, wate, shelter and medical aid until the government can rebuild.

I said dependent on where you live brother...

How in the hell did your grandparents survive WW2?? Rebuilding is a time consuming process. It does not happen over night, and it can be a logistical nightmare.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
42144639_1879837848729904_5166085705574645760_n.jpg

How in the hell did your grandparents survive WW2??
Well the government made sure there was enough food imported to make sure they could live for a start. It was such a momentous event that the government took over nearly every aspect of their lives to make sure that they and everyone else got through it, in fact (although I suppose with my granddads it came down to luck too, one of my nans probably got lucky when a Heinkel tried strafing her and her cousin up at Storeton and missed too).

At no point, so far as I'm aware, did the government expect the ones who were in the UK to bury their shit in the countryside to avoid a cholera outbreak or to weave their own insulin from tree bark and grass.

How in the hell did your grandparents survive WW2?? Rebuilding is a time consuming process. It does not happen over night, and it can be a logistical nightmare.
We survived by mortgaging the Empire, and buying vast amounts of stuff from foreign countries, including yours.
We did not have to knit Spitfire engines out of grass.
We were a wealthy industrial nation, not a poverty stricken colony prone to annual disasters every hurricane season.

Your strawman fell over again.
Why do you keep picking it up?

Well the government made sure there was enough food imported to make sure they could live for a start. It was such a momentous event that the government took over nearly every aspect of their lives to make sure that they and everyone else got through it, in fact (although I suppose with my granddads it came down to luck too, one of my nans probably got lucky when a Heinkel tried strafing her and her cousin up at Storeton and missed too).

At no point, so far as I'm aware, did the government expect the ones who were in the UK to bury their shit in the countryside to avoid a cholera outbreak or to weave their own insulin from tree bark and grass.
There's a very good YouTube video series from InrangeTV on rationing in Britain in WWII. Ian McCollum (well known from Forgotten Weapons) talks about how the rationing system worked, what its goals were, and what it achieved.

Here's the introductory notes from bellow the first video. It provides quite an interesting perspective on what a well organized government can achieve. People were not hunkered down in their bunkers with their rifles guarding their dwindling stockpiles of food. They were able to go about the business of first winning a war and later rebuilding in the aftermath confident in knowing that their next meal, while it might be bland, would be there and and would be both nutritious and in sufficient quantity.
Did you know that under World War II rationing, the health of the British public improved by virtually every objective measure? Caloric intake increased, lifespan increased, and infant mortality decreased. Despite being an island nation under severe submarine blockade, the United Kingdom managed to not just provide food for its millions of inhabitants, but actually build and maintain the public trust in government rationing. How did this happen? We will explore the question all week, while Ian eats a diet of only what a typical British family would have eaten during the dark days of the Blitz.
Here's the first one, there's about 4 altogether:

There's a very good YouTube video series from InrangeTV on rationing in Britain in WWII. Ian McCollum (well known from Forgotten Weapons) talks about how the rationing system worked, what its goals were, and what it achieved.

Here's the introductory notes from bellow the first video. It provides quite an interesting perspective on what a well organized government can achieve. People were not hunkered down in their bunkers with their rifles guarding their dwindling stockpiles of food. They were able to go about the business of first winning a war and later rebuilding in the aftermath confident in knowing that their next meal, while it might be bland, would be there and and would be both nutritious and in sufficient quantity.

A knock on effect of having everyone on a balanced calorie controlled diet is that the life expectancy of that cohort is very good.
It was probably the most successful, if inadvertantly, public health intervention in history.

Ah! good old level headed and defo not paranoid, violent and heavily armed Trump supporters. Nice to see rational and considered response to investigations into one of his 'very fine fellows'

Kavanaugh accuser 'faces death threats'

"A half a million Nixon babies
Some with toys and some with rabies
Hunted by the man in black
No room here man send them back"

Last edited:

Good link.

There are 8 episodes in total.

I just watched them all and would encourage anyone with a spare hour to give them eyeball time.

Absolutely priceless observation from the leader of the free world. No wonder stand-up comedians love him.

' “This is a tough hurricane, one of the wettest we’ve ever seen from the standpoint of water,” he said.'

Donald Trump Makes A Stunning Observation About The Wetness Of Water | HuffPost
To be fair to the Chestnut Chimp he sort of got it part correct. It was actually one of the wettest on record.

Hurricane Florence was a powerful and long-lived Cape Verde hurricane, as well as the wettest tropical cyclone on record in the Carolinas and the ninth-wettest tropical cyclone to affect the contiguous United States.​
Being incapable of mastering a brief the buffoon managed to get “wettest” out and then lapsed into the usual Trumpian malapropisms.

Had he stopped after “seen” he would have been fine but he just has to add his stream of consciousness bullshit and stupidity.

To be fair to the Chestnut Chimp he sort of got it part correct. It was actually one of the wettest on record.

Hurricane Florence was a powerful and long-lived Cape Verde hurricane, as well as the wettest tropical cyclone on record in the Carolinas and the ninth-wettest tropical cyclone to affect the contiguous United States.​
Being incapable of mastering a brief the buffoon managed to get “wettest” out and then lapsed into the usual Trumpian malapropisms.

Had he stopped after “seen” he would have been fine but he just has to add his stream of consciousness bullshit and stupidity.
Just remember, what you're seeing isn't what's happening.
Big(ly?) water.

I rather think the buffoons of the world would be insulted to be compared to the orange clown.

Be prepared to take care of yourself for an extended period of time.
And when your preparations are wiped away in an instant by earthquake or typhoon? How do you magic self-sufficiency out of thin air?

And when your preparations are wiped away in an instant by earthquake or typhoon? How do you magic self-sufficiency out of thin air?
Well my main disaster prep was always knowing where Ray Mears could be found at short notice.
But then he got the restraining order.

Latest Threads