The Trump Presidency...

Apologies, should have put the irony sign up in the sky.

“I Know All About Flipping”: Trump Goes Full Gotti

I don't know about you, but surely there's nothing wrong with the President of the US souding like some mafia boss the FBI managed to catch on intercept?
That final quote in the Vanity Fair article is hilarious:

"When asked Thursday whether he agreed with Trump that flipping should be illegal, Texas Senator John Cornyn—a former state Supreme Court justice and attorney general—perfectly encapsulated how the G.O.P. has found itself boxed in by the president’s “slam-bang” understanding of law and order. “Uh, I have to think about that a little more,” Cornyn told reporters on Capitol Hill. “That’s uh—I’ve never heard that argument before.” "

On the subject of Manafort, you have to wonder what he was threatened with if he agreed to cooperate and is still facing a sentence of over seventeen years and the forfeiture of so many assets.

Pob02

LE
Book Reviewer
On the subject of Manafort, you have to wonder what he was threatened with if he agreed to cooperate and is still facing a sentence of over seventeen years and the forfeiture of so many assets.
It's also disconcerting (or perhaps should be) that a man who should have every reason to trust in Trumps self-perservation instinct to look out for him......... relies on him so much that he cuts a deal with the Federal authorities to get him out of a very long sentence.

And one presumes that if he lies on his plea deal, back to jail.

I think the circle will get smaller, and the startled rabbits will start running around in the headlights as they get picked off one by one.

Oh well, shouldn't have broken the law then.

It's also disconcerting (or perhaps should be) that a man who should have every reason to trust in Trumps self-perservation instinct to look out for him......... relies on him so much that he cuts a deal with the Federal authorities to get him out of a very long sentence.

And one presumes that if he lies on his plea deal, back to jail.

I think the circle will get smaller, and the startled rabbits will start running around in the headlights as they get picked off one by one.

Oh well, shouldn't have broken the law then.
Perhaps it's just the underlings trying to follow the leader's example by being all about making deals...

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
I think the plea deal is going to see some jail time, some forfeiture of assets but likely an early release option.

I think the plea deal is going to see some jail time, some forfeiture of assets but likely an early release option.
Agreed, but Manafort is going to have to come up with some serious goods to get his sentence below where it now sits at seventeen and a half years.

Wouldn't it be funny if it is actually Mrs Trump who is behind all of these news leaks!
What, an East European working to undermine the US through a covert campaign of destroying faith in government institutions?

You could have knocked me down with a feather.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
Agreed, but Manafort is going to have to come up with some serious goods to get his sentence below where it now sits at seventeen and a half years.
In the US to start the process of a plea deal you need to tell the prosecution what you know, under agreement not to use it against you ie he told me this...., and they decide the value. In a case like this it must be good to even be considered by Muller. He is not going to waste a big scalp for some titter tattle that they could get from an underling. See Manforts long time asistant and what he brought to the party.

My prediction is Manafort leads to one fo the Trump family. Then Trump needs to weight up talking to Muller and taking one for his children or tossing one of them under the bus. If he tosses one under the bus the others are going to trample over each other to Muller knowing that there is a short period of time to make a deal.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
Just finishing reading Rick Wilson "Everything Trump Touches Dies" and agree with all the others on here - funny and cutting. It is a joy to read someone eviserate a person in the written word so elegantly and with wit.

There are too many good lines - seriously buy it or borrow a copy. It will cheer you up to know there are still people out there who can troll with elegance.

Everything Trump Touches Dies by Rick Wilson | Waterstones

I heard Manafort's lawyer making a statement last night, it sounded like the deal may have been around retaining assets as he was talking about taking steps to secure his families future.

Mueller knows where all of Pauli Walnuts cash is and may have suggested that his family would be lucky to afford the rent on a trailer when he's finished.

Perhaps it's just the underlings trying to follow the leader's example by being all about making deals...
I knew I had seen Trump's management style before.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
I knew I had seen Trump's management style before.

And yet he did in the end rat out his friends to save himself......

Here's hoping.....

In the US to start the process of a plea deal you need to tell the prosecution what you know, under agreement not to use it against you ie he told me this...., and they decide the value. In a case like this it must be good to even be considered by Muller. He is not going to waste a big scalp for some titter tattle that they could get from an underling. See Manforts long time asistant and what he brought to the party.

My prediction is Manafort leads to one fo the Trump family. Then Trump needs to weight up talking to Muller and taking one for his children or tossing one of them under the bus. If he tosses one under the bus the others are going to trample over each other to Muller knowing that there is a short period of time to make a deal.
Quite.

Given how totally self-centred he clearly is, one (or more?) of the sprogs would certainly be looking at a bus chassis.

So, looking at it from the orange offspring's viewpoint, Daddy is rich (not as rich as he claims but rich nonetheless), he's getting on in years, so it's better for him to go down and they can get hold of his dosh. Which they couldn't do if they were inside.

If your prediction is on the mark, Daddy is going down. Very, very bigly down.

Former Donald Frump attorney Michael Cohen’s efforts to “flip” and turn state’s evidence to testify against the president could be devastating for the commander-in-piss.

Cohen may have information about the so-called “pee pee tape” of Russian prostitutes cleaning the fat orange one with a golden shower and desecrating a hotel suite bed in Russia where President Barack Obama had once stayed.

I don't ever want to see the tape but I would laugh my ass off if it came out though :)

Former Donald Frump attorney Michael Cohen’s efforts to “flip” and turn state’s evidence to testify against the president could be devastating for the commander-in-piss.

Cohen may have information about the so-called “pee pee tape” of Russian prostitutes cleaning the fat orange one with a golden shower and desecrating a hotel suite bed in Russia where President Barack Obama had once stayed.

I don't ever want to see the tape but I would laugh my ass off if it came out though :)
I remember arguing with Chippymick at the start of the year about the Mueller investigation and the Steele dossier. My point was that regardless if the video exists or not it's Trumps ties to Russian money that is the big concern but I'm starting to think that the tape may actually exist, I'm sure Mueller has all the information so it just depends on what the flippers confirm.

Don't worry someone will be along shortly to tell us that being a compulsive liar and having Russian prostitutes piss on a bed is the new normal for presidential behavior and we're just being triggered because 15% of a short term tax cut to the majority while a dozen or so of the financial elite rake in 85% is the American way.

(...) But Trump may actually get an answer to "Why would someone in severe financial trouble, and whk has lengthy pro-Russian Eastern European connections offer to work for my campaign for free?" rather soon. (...)
Manafort has a friend and business partner from the Ukraine, Dmytro Firtash, whom the US had been trying to extradite from Austria in connection with alleged bribery in India. He made a fortune brokering Turkmenistan gas sales in Europe and has branched out into a wide range of other businesses involving chemicals and mining.

The Austrian court tossed the case out saying it was "politically motivated". If the Austrian court is correct, then it would appear that the US wants him because he has been financing political parties in Ukraine which opposed the ones the US was backing and also running for parliament himself. The US however hadn't given up and was trying other angles to get their hands on him. I'm not sure how that has has been working out for them recently. I haven't seen any sign that India feels they have any case to pursue against him although the alleged offence occurred there.

Firtash allegedly has connections with Ukrainian organized crime elements and it would be a very unusual major business venture operating in or based in Ukraine who weren't involved in corruption of some sort. The same could probably be said for India. I'm not sure why the US feels this specific case is any of their business, other than the political angle.

There are loads of unsubstantiated rumours connecting Firtash with all sorts of people, businesses, and events. I will take most of them with a very large grain of salt given the number of dubious stories and conspiracy theories originating from that part of the world. However, what we do know about him has him connected with a lot of dodgy people. About the only consistent thing about his affiliations has been his pursuit of his own self interest. He backed Yanukovych when he was on top, but then switched to backing Poroshenko when Yanukovych began to fall. He was allegedly behind a deal which saw Klitschko step back from running for president to leave the field clear for Poroshenko. In return, Poroshenko allegedly agreed to leave Firtash and his business interests alone provided Firtash decamped from Ukraine (he ended up in Austria). However, remember what I said about rumours.

Firtash also allegedly has or had connections with certain UK politicians and other influential people there, including political donations. He also financed various groups promoting Ukrainian history and culture in the UK.

The connection between Manafort and Firtash included a major property deal in New York which eventually fell through. Interesting, that New York property connection, isn't it? I have seen nothing however that says that Trump had any connection with this.

I would suspect that the only thing that would end Mr. Firtash's problems with the US government would be if someone in high office in the US were to quietly dispose of the case. It's not hard to see why a certain lobbyist and businessman may want to develop the ability to get the ear of a very senior US politician.

I also would not be surprised that if there is anything worth knowing about Trump's business dealings in eastern Europe, that Firtash may know something about it. Keep in mind that though despite all rumours surrounding Firtash, and despite Firtash's efforts to cultivate the powerful and well connected in various countries (including the UK), I have not seen any which connected him directly with Trump. At this point Manafort seems to be the closest they come. There are no doubt more than a few in Washington however who dream of finding such a link.

However, given just how much he knows about various things that have gone on in eastern Europe and Central Asia, I would imagine there are quite a few people who were well motivated to ensure that Firtash is never in a position where he might talk about them. One way or another.

Here Are 202 Companies Hurt by Trump's Tariffs
The president believes "TRADE IS BAD!" These firms would beg to differ.
Scott Lincicome | September 14, 2018

The debate over tariffs has mostly emphasized their impact on economic growth and jobs, which overlooks specific stories of suffering caused by President Donald Trump's trade war.
Below are more than 200 examples of the damage done by Trump's tariffs, aggregated with Republicans Fighting Tariffs. The victims and their stories differ, but the catalyst is the same.
Businesses of all sizes have seen their input costs rise because of tariffs. To maintain already slim profit margins, many of these businesses have no choice but to raise prices. Call this the "Trump tax."

But not all businesses can offset tariff costs through price increases, because their customers are price sensitive and will simply take their business to a foreign competitor. These companies have been forced to take cost-cutting measures such as laying off employees or forgoing expansion.

Then there are the countless farmers and exporters who have seen their markets dry up as trading partners impose retaliatory tariffs.

Read the FULL LIST here It was a Republican Survey btw.
==============================================================
It is worth a read and now that the worlds best negotiator has slapped another $200 billion dollars worth of Tariffs on Chinese goods it will only get worse.

I read the entire list. It makes for a pitiful read.

From virtually destroying the New England lobster industry (Canadian lobsters are a fraction of the price) to seriously damaging some of the world’s largest corporations (Boeing, GM, Ford etc) by adding half a billion $$ to their respective costs it shows the impact of ill thought out trade policies.

If Trump said trade wars are easy to win he got that badly wrong.

His tariffs will seriously dent US business and make not a jot of difference to China.

Latest Threads