The Trump Presidency...

You appear to have linked to an article that, while it does indeed make mention of China, US and trade tarifs, it makes no mention of Trumps economic policies.

I'm sure its just a slight oversight on your part.

Can you please post a link to the article you outline?
I can’t post any Links as I’m sat on the sand in Hawaii. The only access I have to the outside world is wireless in the room and the paper extract from the New York Times. Unfortunately I’ve not got the copies from earlier in the week as they have been binned by the maid.

Draining the SWAMP my Arrse !!
A link to THE STINK
A little-noticed Trump rule would give $2.5 billion tax cut to big bank fat cats.

As Wall Street banks continue to enjoy record profits thanks to President Donald Trump’s $1.5 trillion tax scam, Trump’s Treasury Department—headed by former Goldman Sachs executive Steve Mnuchin—quietly moved to hand big banks yet another major gift on Wednesday by hiding a $2.5 billion tax cut in the fine print of an “esoteric” new rule proposal

As they were hashing out the details of their tax bill behind closed doors, Sirota notes, Republican lawmakers included a provision that prohibited businesses in the “financial services” sector from qualifying for the tax cut in an effort to counter “assertions that the bill could enrich big banks.”

But, at the direction of bank lobbyists, the Trump administration’s new rule asserts that “‘financial services’ don’t include banking,” thus allowing “hundreds of banks operating as S corporations—as well as their owners—[to] claim the tax cut,” Sirota writes.

I can’t post any Links as I’m sat on the sand in Hawaii. The only access I have to the outside world is wireless in the room and the paper extract from the New York Times. Unfortunately I’ve not got the copies from earlier in the week as they have been binned by the maid.
Get offline and get your arse to the USS Arizona.

But, at the direction of bank lobbyists, the Trump administration’s new rule asserts that “‘financial services’ don’t include banking,” thus allowing “hundreds of banks operating as S corporations—as well as their owners—[to] claim the tax cut,” Sirota writes.
Wealthy plutocrat looks out for wealthy plutocrats. Who'd'ha thunk?*

*Not even the Trump voter whose turn it is to have the tooth.

Russian state TV warns Trump to ‘do what we say’ if you want ‘support in the elections’
No other words are necessary

[QUOTE="Simmerit, post: 8737372, member: 136127"]I’ve not got the copies from earlier in the week as they have been binned by the maid.[/QUOTE]
What...She hates Trump too ??? :)

New York Times doing its best to have a pop at Trump this morning again, but there is a little more balance in the financial commentary.

Can’t post a link so here’s a piccie or today’s rag

0A172F3F-D619-4168-BD98-8AFEB9CBF86B.jpeg

The Lira has seen a 40% drop in its value in the last year, and as we all know weak currency is good for exports. The commentary in the financial section of the paper acknowledges the increase in tariffs for Turkey and China is addressing currency weakness, which is making their exports even cheaper, causing issues for domestic manufacturers and heavy industries. Not something I’ve seen widely commented on in the UK media, which is intent on raging it’s anti Trump war. The tariff increases are addressing currency devaluations. The other point or note is tension between the US and Turkey goes back to 2003 when Turkey refuses to let US forces transit through Turkey when the Iraq invasion was underway. There have been ongoing spats throughout the Obama time in office, so Trump is not the root of all evil here.

New York Times doing its best to have a pop at Trump this morning again, but there is a little more balance in the financial commentary.

Can’t post a link so here’s a piccie or today’s rag

View attachment 345732

The Lira has seen a 40% drop in its value in the last year, and as we all know weak currency is good for exports. The commentary in the financial section of the paper acknowledges the increase in tariffs for Turkey and China is addressing currency weakness, which is making their exports even cheaper, causing issues for domestic manufacturers and heavy industries. Not something I’ve seen widely commented on in the UK media, which is intent on raging it’s anti Trump war. The tariff increases are addressing currency devaluations. The other point or note is tension between the US and Turkey goes back to 2003 when Turkey refuses to let US forces transit through Turkey when the Iraq invasion was underway. There have been ongoing spats throughout the Obama time in office, so Trump is not the root of all evil here.
It was mentioned on Radio 4 this morning.

One issue is that Erdogan interferes in the economy and doesn't really know what he's doing.

To say that Trump has doubled trade tariffs simply to address the devaluation is ridiculous; its old fashioned protectionism coupled with gerrymandering. His action has further weakened the Turkish Lira. If he was genuinely concerned about the relative costs of Turkish imports, he'd impose tariffs on everything imported from Turkey.

But he's not. And the US has a trade surplus with Turkey.

Turkey | United States Trade Representative

Then again, IIRC Turkey recently talked about signed a deal with Russia to by the S300 / S400 system which resulted in the US making all kinds of understandable threats about cancelling sales of advanced a/c.

Trump doubles Turkish tariffs as lira plunges to record lows - as it happened

It was mentioned on Radio 4 this morning.

One issue is that Erdogan interferes in the economy and doesn't really know what he's doing.

To say that Trump has doubled trade tariffs simply to address the devaluation is ridiculous; its old fashioned protectionism coupled with gerrymandering. His action has further weakened the Turkish Lira. If he was genuinely concerned about the relative costs of Turkish imports, he'd impose tariffs on everything imported from Turkey.

But he's not. And the US has a trade surplus with Turkey.

Turkey | United States Trade Representative

Then again, IIRC Turkey recently talked about signed a deal with Russia to by the S300 / S400 system which resulted in the US making all kinds of understandable threats about cancelling sales of advanced a/c.

Trump doubles Turkish tariffs as lira plunges to record lows - as it happened
I can’t post a link to support my statement - I can post piccies of the New York Times however is you want a US point of view. The editorial today is also saying thebEuropean Union should let Turkey in - the argument is if you can have Poland and Hungary in which aren’t liberal democracies, then you should have Turkey in........

Re your comment on protectionism, I wonder what Consett (steel), Tyne, Wear, Clyde (ship building), Durham, Nottingham and Yorkshire (coal) would have to say about Maggie not protecting heavy industry in the U.K. arguably Trump is doing what Arthur Scargil tried to do in defending the coal industry which couldn’t compete in the global market. Just look at how thriving a set of communities we have in the industrial heartland of the U.K..............

You need to get a bit of balance into your argument fella. Your anti Trunp rant is as mad as the man your castigate for being mental.

Turkey was in the shit anyway. Upping tariffs is not going to hamper a major economic recovery driven by Erdogan is it?????

You need to get a bit of balance into your argument fella. Your anti Trunp rant is as mad as the man your castigate for being mental.
You need to get some facts into your argument.

Fella.

It was hardly an "anti Trump rant", just some comment of matters that you were clearly unaware of.

Per your SOPs.

Turkey was in the shit anyway. Upping tariffs is not going to hamper a major economic recovery driven by Erdogan is it?????
Its bound to be a major help, isn't it?

And you wonder why you're regarded as a simpleton.

You need to get some facts into your argument.

Fella.

It was hardly an "anti Trump rant", just some comment of matters that you were clearly unaware of.

Per your SOPs.

Its bound to be a major help, isn't it?

And you wonder why you're regarded as a simpleton.
I think you know why so many people have you on ignore. Happy to point it out if you are blissfully ignorant

I can’t post a link to support my statement - I can post piccies of the New York Times however is you want a US point of view. The editorial today is also saying thebEuropean Union should let Turkey in - the argument is if you can have Poland and Hungary in which aren’t liberal democracies, then you should have Turkey in........
You don't seem to be aware of recent events in Turkey, do you?

Colour me totally unsurprised.

Your comment about is somewhat different from the NYT post to which you allude (link below). It doesn't say Turkey should be let into the EU, it says it was a "a strategic mistake for the union not to integrate Turkey firmly into its orbit."

Not the same thing.

That ship has sailed. Turkey is too far away from Democracy and is likely to remain so for some years under Erdogan.

WRT your comment about Poland and Hungary not being "liberal democracies" - again, nope.

"Hungary and Poland, now on their own authoritarian trajectories, have proved that European Union membership doesn’t ensure democratic liberalism "

Opinion | Turkey’s Downward Spiral

You're not really very good at this, are you?

You don't seem to be aware of recent events in Turkey, do you?

Colour me totally unsurprised.

Your comment about is somewhat different from the NYT post to which you allude (link below). It doesn't say Turkey should be let into the EU, it says it was a "a strategic mistake for the union not to integrate Turkey firmly into its orbit."

Not the same thing.

That ship has sailed. Turkey is too far away from Democracy and is likely to remain so for some years under Erdogan.

WRT your comment about Poland and Hungary not being "liberal democracies" - again, nope.

"Hungary and Poland, now on their own authoritarian trajectories, have proved that European Union membership doesn’t ensure democratic liberalism "

Opinion | Turkey’s Downward Spiral

You're not really very good at this, are you?
Having a spat with you or selecting posting other people’s point of view? I prefer intellect. I’ll leave the stupidity to you. You are after all a master at it

Having a spat with you or selecting posting other people’s point of view? I prefer intellect. I’ll leave the stupidity to you. You are after all a master at it
I've linked to the article you've misquoted, explained what was actually said and also provided some background information.

You posted a photograph of an article about Love Island.

You're not very good at this are you?

I've linked to the article you've misquoted, explained what was actually said and also provided some background information.

You posted a photograph of an article about Love Island.

You're not very good at this are you?
I posted an article from the New York Times on a thread about the editor of the New York Times. I’m clearly not very good at this and hope one day to be as good as you. You are my inspiration. Hoping one day to be like you is what keeps me going

Latest Threads