The Troubles 1980s

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Researcher - Ben, Apr 26, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello guys,

Thought I best introduce myself before asking you all loads of questions.

My name is Ben Greenhalgh (not the footballer) and I'm a screenwriter. Currently I am working on a project which is concerned with the events of 'The Troubles' in Ireland during the period of the 1980s.

Currently we have done a decent amount of research but we are now looking at getting personal stories/opinions on the conflict from British personnel as well as some specific Military questions which we have yet to glean from the MOD.

Is there anyone on the forum who would be willing to help us out?

If so please could you contact me, either via the forum, or via my personal email:

trueprotagonist@gmail.com

Thanks again guys.

2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Has one checked with the CO about policy regarding this?

3. Troubles, you say? do we need to send in the troops?

4. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Ben, there is a certain amount of suspcion about journalists and TV companies on here and you are straying into an area that still makes some people angry. Perhaps if you explained the background and intentions of the programme you might get so responses.

For your advice and enjoyment you should read this:

Princess Productions - ARRSEpedia

5. Troubles in Ireland in 1980s you say?

Do you not mean the breakdown of law and order in a part of the United Kingdom commonly known as Northern Ireland?

As far as I can remember, the Republic was largely unaffected except for the Dublin and Monaghan bombings, the death of Lord
    Mountbatten, the shooting of Garda McCabe etc.

• Like Like x 3
  6. You'd get more response if you gave more of an idea of the 'project'.

Your portfolio to-date seems to be concerned with short fiction films - and the last thing anyone is going to do on here is get involved in some far-fetched work of pro-IRA fiction.

7. You mean like every bit of shit made so far.

• Like Like x 3
  8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

You dont think he is a Guardian reader or a scouse do you?

• Like Like x 2
  9. Wow, what a number of replies, I only posted a few hours ago:

"Ben, there is a certain amount of suspcion about journalists and TV companies on here and you are straying into an area that still makes some people angry. Perhaps if you explained the background and intentions of the programme you might get so responses.

For your advice and enjoyment you should read this:

Princess Productions - ARRSEpedia"

The project is an adaptation of a short story by an Irish Writer from a collection of stories "Elvis is Dead" I'm working alongside a director to extend the story to feature length, its main focus is the story of a British Solider and his experience within NI.
    Obviously I had to find out from the horse’s mouth how NI was for serving members of the British Army.

All the questions I have are only concerned with operational basics, equipment, patrols, R&R etc.
    Anyone who does want to help me out won't be asked about their own personal stories or be questioned on anything they feel unsure or uncomfortable about. I don't work for the general media, as I said I am a screenwriter who does only work within the realm of fiction although all fiction has to have elements of fact within it so that it is beleivable, ergo why I am asking for your input.

"Your portfolio to-date seems to be concerned with short fiction films - and the last thing anyone is going to do on here is get involved in some far-fetched work of pro-IRA fiction."
    "You mean like every bit of shit made so far."

My portfolio shown is only short films; however a lot of my work is feature based in the genre of Drama. I'm happy to answer anyone’s questions on my own personal work.

I also have no political or moral inclinations towards either side during this conflict what so ever. I'm open to anyone’s opinions and I would love to hear them. Seems like you guys don't like my 'type' and if you feel I am treading on unsteady ground I will leave you guys to it, the last thing I want is to annoy anyone.

Many thanks,

10. Plump the cushions.
    Bing- excellent pop corn ready.
    Pop- first beer open.

And begin (sorry I turned up a bit late).

11. Please don't throw popcorn at my head.

12. I wouldn't call throwing your email address into Google and clicking the very first link as research, but I'm not a writer. Also evident by my not dropping phrases like "The Hegelian philosophical principle that out of a thesis and its opposed antithesis comes the hardy alloy of a synthesis has a seductive power" casually into conversation.