The trouble with the TA is its run by the regular Army

My thought and experience is that the TA would be better run if the TA ran it and not regular soldiers as regulars dont understand us. For example:

1. Regular RSM/CO/QM etc tasking a TA soldier at short notice mid week etc, and being stunned when the answer is 'Oh I'm at work next Tuesday Sir'

2.Why dont you pass your PFT ? Oh I go to the gym in my own time pay for gym memebership myself etc, as oppossed to the Regular soldier who has PT rostered into his working week and and free gym facilities on the base. I know a reg socially he hasnt done a full set of MATTS for 7 years !

3. On recent training weekend a Reg soldier said 'your just here this weekend earning lots of money'. What I can earn in 4 drill nights and one weekend I can earn in 8 hours on a Saturday

Regulars dont understand us, and I accept I may not understand them.
Does anyone else have similar experiences ?

Sir_Jacob said:
I accept I may not understand them.
Correct. Wind your neck in; of course the TA has to be run by the Regulars, otherwise you would still be armed with scythes and pitchforks to defend against marauding norsemen and picts.

1) Does not happen after their first week in the job

2) Get off your arrse and stop boring us

3) Who cares?

msr

Sir_Jacob said:
2.Why dont you pass your PFT ? Oh I go to the gym in my own time pay for gym memebership myself etc, as oppossed to the Regular soldier who has PT rostered into his working week and and free gym facilities on the base.
Bollox, if youre in a field unit then this may be the case, not all Regs get PT 'rostered' into their working day. Phys is your responsibility.

It was ever thus. Now get on with it. You are a volunteer, your PSIs etc are not. You have a choice to rock-up for w/e and drill nights (if you don't want your bounty), the PSIs etc do not. They have the depth of Mil experience required, you do not...but you will get better the more you train.

Did a big bad Regular PSI shout at you then ?

The_Duke

LE
Sir_Jacob said:
My thought and experience is that the TA would be better run if the TA ran it and not regular soldiers as regulars dont understand us. For example:

1. Regular RSM/CO/QM etc tasking a TA soldier at short notice mid week etc, and being stunned when the answer is 'Oh I'm at work next Tuesday Sir'

Compared to the frequent TA soldier request for a course, regular staff bid for it, and the TA soldier fails to attend or cancels at the very last minute because "something came up".

2.Why dont you pass your PFT ? Oh I go to the gym in my own time pay for gym memebership myself etc, as oppossed to the Regular soldier who has PT rostered into his working week and and free gym facilities on the base. I know a reg socially he hasnt done a full set of MATTS for 7 years !

If you are paying for a gym membership, why would you fail? Too much time looking at the mirrors? Running is free anyway - for regular and TA (one army and all that!)

3. On recent training weekend a Reg soldier said 'your just here this weekend earning lots of money'. What I can earn in 4 drill nights and one weekend I can earn in 8 hours on a Saturday

So do it for free - that'll teach him!

Regulars dont understand us, and I accept I may not understand them.
Does anyone else have similar experiences ?
Regular staff need briefing on the peculiarities of the TA when they first arrive, and the TA needs to learn that the regular army works to a certain standard as well. Hiding behind the umbrella of "the TA way of doing things" is a weak excuse. My TA unit is run by the regular army because it has to be - for the TA to run it, we would have to give up our regular jobs and do it full time to provide the time it demands. If we do that, guess what, we become full time TA. It is about communication across the regular and TA chains of command, not bleating on Arrse.

Latest Threads