The trouble with the TA is its run by the regular Army

Discussion in 'The ARRSE Hole' started by Sir_Jacob, Jul 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My thought and experience is that the TA would be better run if the TA ran it and not regular soldiers as regulars dont understand us. For example:

1. Regular RSM/CO/QM etc tasking a TA soldier at short notice mid week etc, and being stunned when the answer is 'Oh I'm at work next Tuesday Sir'

2.Why dont you pass your PFT ? Oh I go to the gym in my own time pay for gym memebership myself etc, as oppossed to the Regular soldier who has PT rostered into his working week and and free gym facilities on the base. I know a reg socially he hasnt done a full set of MATTS for 7 years !

3. On recent training weekend a Reg soldier said 'your just here this weekend earning lots of money'. What I can earn in 4 drill nights and one weekend I can earn in 8 hours on a Saturday

Regulars dont understand us, and I accept I may not understand them.
    Does anyone else have similar experiences ?
  2. Correct. Wind your neck in; of course the TA has to be run by the Regulars, otherwise you would still be armed with scythes and pitchforks to defend against marauding norsemen and picts.
  3. msr

msr LE

1) Does not happen after their first week in the job

2) Get off your arrse and stop boring us

3) Who cares?

4. Bollox, if youre in a field unit then this may be the case, not all Regs get PT 'rostered' into their working day. Phys is your responsibility.
  5. It was ever thus. Now get on with it. You are a volunteer, your PSIs etc are not. You have a choice to rock-up for w/e and drill nights (if you don't want your bounty), the PSIs etc do not. They have the depth of Mil experience required, you do not...but you will get better the more you train.

Did a big bad Regular PSI shout at you then ?
  6. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Regular staff need briefing on the peculiarities of the TA when they first arrive, and the TA needs to learn that the regular army works to a certain standard as well. Hiding behind the umbrella of "the TA way of doing things" is a weak excuse. My TA unit is run by the regular army because it has to be - for the TA to run it, we would have to give up our regular jobs and do it full time to provide the time it demands. If we do that, guess what, we become full time TA. It is about communication across the regular and TA chains of command, not bleating on Arrse.
  7. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Cracking advert for the TA you are.