Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

The Trial Of Tony Blair

I have just had to tear myself away from the More4 programme The Trial Of Tony Blair, because I'm so frustrated that it isn't a documentary.

[align=center] :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated: [/align]

PLEEASE - if there's any natural justice - let it be a premonition, flawed only in failing to anticipate the incarceration (or, better yet, execution) of The Shaved Chimp.

[align=center] :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: [/align]

I wish I could say I feel better for that.

Stonker said:
I have just had to tear myself away from the More4 programme The Trial Of Tony Blair, because I'm so frustrated that it isn't a documentary.

[align=center] :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated: [/align]

PLEEASE - if there's any natural justice - let it be a premonition, flawed only in failing to anticipate the incarceration (or, better yet, execution) of The Shaved Chimp.

[align=center] :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: [/align]

I wish I could say I feel better for that.

Stonker!! And breathe.......

Funny I picked up one of those freebie papers on the tube, and when I got to this page couldn't resist doodling, I'm thinking maybe Tuscany during a summer holiday, post premiership and when it is politically diligent...political capital one might even say...

[align=center]
Order_for_the_Temple.jpg
[/align]

Having just watched it, I think that I can say that I have not enjoyed a piece of UK TV drama so much for ages... in fact I stayed up well past my bedtime to watch and savour each moment.

Very well acted throughout but I do really admire the Cherie 'given' as I believe actors put it by the actress; very well observed and, in general, the writers deserve plaudits.

I have, for a long time, had a special bottle put aside for the expected day; may its consumption be sooner rather than later! :wink:

This was good TV but a shame it stopped when it did - I was looking forward to the footage of him being found guilty and/or hanged.
I hope Bliar saw it and realised that the characterisation of himself (vain, self-obsessed, shallow, deceitful) is how most of us see him now.

I only managed to see the first half hour or so but, uncommonly, it actually had me laugh aloud at a number of points.

As he's dictating his memoires and talking about his ethos being one of, 'doing good and standing up to evil', Cherie walks in, rants about the Browns and leaves. 'Where was I?', he asks his PA and gets the reply, 'standing up to evil...'

Simply inspired.

Apollonia said:
This was good TV but a shame it stopped when it did - I was looking forward to the footage of him being found guilty and/or hanged.
I hope Bliar saw it and realised that the characterisation of himself (vain, self-obsessed, shallow, deceitful) is how most of us see him now.

Blair is only too well aware that members of the public have little regard for him. So is Downing Street and so are members of his own party. This manifested itself during the 2005 election. He was rarely seen shaking hands with genuine members of the public. Those that the television cameras filmed him shaking hands with and speaking to were members of the Labour Party bussed in for the occasion.

This was exposed in a very interesting television documentary some months later.

Having Blair stand trial before the International Criminal Court would be the best present a government could give to our country. I think it would do much to salvage what little honour we have left in the world. Even if that wish is never granted, it is an object lesson in the almost dictatorial personal power that now resides in the office of a British Prime Minister. It is about time that Parliament rose to the challenge and reclaimed it from what has effectively become the office of an elected Monarch who enjoys almost the same power as King James I - a monarch who the people of this country fought a bloody revolution to depose and replace with the authority of Parliament!

The B'liar being wheeled into hospital as an honest man sang an honest song was choice.
I know who I'd put my money on in a lie detector competition between Tony Blair and Johnny Cash.

Iolis said:
Apollonia said:

Blair is only too well aware that members of the public have little regard for him. So is Downing Street and so are members of his own party. This manifested itself during the 2005 election. He was rarely seen shaking hands with genuine members of the public. Those that the television cameras filmed him shaking hands with and speaking to were members of the Labour Party bussed in for the occasion.

This was exposed in a very interesting television documentary some months later.

Having Blair stand trial before the International Criminal Court would be the best present a government could give to our country. I think it would do much to salvage what little honour we have left in the world. Even if that wish is never granted, it is an object lesson in the almost dictatorial personal power that now resides in the office of a British Prime Minister. It is about time that Parliament rose to the challenge and reclaimed it from what has effectively become the office of an elected Monarch who enjoys almost the same power as King James I - a monarch who the people of this country fought a bloody revolution to depose and replace with the authority of Parliament!

Charles I?

...but, yes.

fas_et_gloria said:
Iolis said:
Apollonia said:

Charles I?

...but, yes.

Ref James I I presume Iolis is referring to the Glorious Revolution of 1689, not as bloody as the Civil war but equally important constitutionally (if not more so) as it gave us our Bill of Rights (even though the current mob don't think it counts and Cameron's mob think it's been subject to implied repeal...)

EX_STAB said:
Ref James I I presume Iolis is referring to the Glorious Revolution of 1689, not as bloody as the Civil war but equally important constitutionally (if not more so) as it gave us our Bill of Rights (even though the current mob don't think it counts and Cameron's mob think it's been subject to implied repeal...)

James II, I think you will find. Also the Glorious Revolution was in 1688, when william and Mary (or Mary and william) took the throne from the papist james and saw him off. He did try to get in through the back door via Ireland but was quite properly given the heave-ho...