Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

The Trial Of Tony Blair

firestarter said:
"I hung my head
I hung my head"
:cyclopsani:

Yes, yes, a brilliant use of Johnny Cash.
Not only the use of the song but what a contrast in character types?
(The late period Cash is beautifully stripped of any 'spin' on human life at all.)
And a superb post by you.

I hope the producer feels better now.

What exactly has he achieved with this? Catharsis?

From a hypothetical point of view, an interesting exercise. But really! To portray Blair as a deluded, indeed mentally ill individual is clearly nonsense. The obvious references to Lady Macbeth, his misplaced self-belief and complete dislocation from any kind of (perceived) reality were laid on a little too thick for me. One of the lads on here even claimed to feel sympathy, as I did myself at several points until I wised myself up.
so was that the point of it? To make Bliar look like some kind of bumbling, confused, elderly favourite uncle? You can bet your life it wouldn't have been screened if it hadn't passed some sort of spin test.

The writer's main point is how alone Tony will be when deprived of power.

Loved the line from the copper taking the mouth swab ... words to the effect of "Did that hurt sir?. Lord Levy didn't have a problem with it!."

Perevodchik said:
I hope the producer feels better now.

What exactly has he achieved with this? Catharsis?

From a hypothetical point of view, an interesting exercise. But really! To portray Blair as a deluded, indeed mentally ill individual is clearly nonsense. The obvious references to Lady Macbeth, his misplaced self-belief and complete dislocation from any kind of (perceived) reality were laid on a little too thick for me. One of the lads on here even claimed to feel sympathy, as I did myself at several points until I wised myself up.
so was that the point of it? To make Bliar look like some kind of bumbling, confused, elderly favourite uncle? You can bet your life it wouldn't have been screened if it hadn't passed some sort of spin test.

Y'know, I was thinking exactly the same - but I was thinking it in 2003, when this grinning loon was busy convincing himself (and, it would seem, most of the MPs in Westminster) that Iraq was 45 minustes away from launching WMD against us.

Could any fictional portrayal ever do justice to the way in which he "laid it on a bit thick" in his real-life performance? And got away with it?

I wonder if he watched it?

I think Principles III and VI(a)i are most relevant here....

In 1950 U.N. International Law Commission adopted the Nuremberg Principles. The basic premise of the principles is that no person, no matter what their office, stands above international law.

Principle I

Any person who commits an act which constitutes a crime under international law is responsible therefore and liable to punishment.

Principle II

The fact that internal law does not impose a penalty for an act which constitutes a crime under international law does not relieve the person who committed the act from responsibility under international law.

Principle III

The fact that a person who committed an act which constitutes a crime under international law acted as Head of State or responsible Government official does not relieve him from responsibility under international law.

Principle IV

The fact that a person acted pursuant to order of his Government or of a superior does not relieve him from responsibility under international law, provided a moral choice was in fact possible to him.

Principle V

Any person charged with a crime under international law has the right to a fair trial on the facts and law.

Principle Vl

The crimes hereinafter set out are punishable as crimes under; international law:

a. Crimes against peace:

i. Planning, preparation, initiation or waging of a war of aggression or a war in violation of international treaties, agreements or assurances;

ii. Participation in a common plan or conspiracy for the accomplishment of any of the acts mentioned under (i).

b. War crimes:

Violations of the laws or customs of war which include, but are not limited to, murder, ill-treatment or deportation to slave-labor or for any other purpose of civilian population of or in occupied territory, murder or illtreatment of prisoners of war, of persons on the seas, killing of hostages, plunder of public or private property, wanton destruction of cities, towns, or villages, or devastation not justified by military necessity.

c. Crimes against humanity:

Murder, extermination, enslavement, deportation and other inhuman acts done against any civilian population, or persecutions on political, racial or religious grounds, when such acts are done or such persecutions are carried on in execution of or in connection with any crime against peace or any war crime.

Principle VII

Complicity in the commission of a crime against peace, a war crime, or a crime against humanity as set forth in Principles VI is a crime under international law.

Principle III

The fact that a person who committed an act which constitutes a crime under international law acted as Head of State or responsible Government official does not relieve him from responsibility under international law.

Principle IV

The fact that a person acted pursuant to order of his Government or of a superior does not relieve him from responsibility under international law, provided a moral choice was in fact possible to him.

Here's a thought - If B'liar were ever prosecuted under Principle III - for an illegal attack on Iraq - where would Principle IV leave the commanders and troops of the Army/Navy/Air Force, who planned and executed the illegal war?

Principle IV is, I imagine, the one that rules out "Ve vere only following ze orders" as a defence.

Stonker said:
Principle III

Principle IV

Here's a thought - If B'liar were ever prosecuted under Principle III - for an illegal attack on Iraq - where would Principle IV leave the commanders and troops of the Army/Navy/Air Force, who planned and executed the illegal war?

Principle IV is, I imagine, the one that rules out "Ve vere only following ze orders" as a defence.

Yup, that could get very ugly, and I have no doubt that the spineless little fcuk would take as many people down with him as he could.

cokecan said:
'waging aggressive war' was used to some effect in Nuremburg, does anyone know if it still exists as a article of law or if its been replaced by something else?

I have'nt a f'ucking clue... but if you ask me that question again I'll give you a right smack in the mouth, do you hear me?

Did anyone ping the song at the end of the programme, as the credits rolled?

It was The Killers, All These Things That I've Done.

"Ive got soul but i'm not a soldier"

Chosen for a reason perhaps? :)

I have just got around to watching it. My face aches from all the grinning it has done in the last 100 odd minutes. Absolutely loved it! Never before has television given me such a warm feeling and a sense that “it will be all right in the end”.
My only criticism is that the actress who played TWMF is too damned attractive. I am sure they could have found plenty of scary looking bints who could have done the job.

Quack

asmallbrownduck said:
I have just got around to watching it. My face aches from all the grinning it has done in the last 100 odd minutes. Absolutely loved it! Never before has television given me such a warm feeling and a sense that “it will be all right in the end”.
My only criticism is that the actress who played TWMF is too damned attractive. I am sure they could have found plenty of scary looking bints who could have done the job.

Quack

. . then Tony's spinmeisters will be pleased - won't they? :wink:

Ribbit, ribbit.

(tinfoil hat anyone?)

I particularly liked PM Brown being paxmaned by 5 year olds and Cameron with his clueless Henrietta PRs.

But we all know the world does not work like this. Tony's post No 10 world will more likely involve a nice little job bleeding the 3rd world dry at the World Bank rather than being bored to death like Slobo at the Hague.

Nor will Dubya be a drink sodden wreck in rehab. Back at the Ranch things are booming. Texan oil men and Halliburton have grown fat. Never has the elite 2% that runs the US been so pampered with state kickbacks. He has been a river to his people.

The decider will dither out his last 18 months in the Oval Office and then mosey away from the mess. Like JFK, that other guilded patrician whose Pa bought him the presidency, the next couple of Presidents will carry the can for his bold strokes.

It stretches credulity that 150 dead in a Baghdad will make the headlines in 2010, it barely does now. By then the warring states of the land of the two rivers will likely be referred to as former-Iraq a prefix that Jordan, Saudi and Syria may share. To 800,000 dead, is wishful thinking I'm afraid, you could easily be adding a zero to that in a few years time.

May get there yet:

.........the police have recently discovered an evidential "smoking gun" and that they are now more confident that this will all see the light of day at the Old Bailey. There is increasing confidence that the CPS will be compelled, by the evidence, to bring prosecutions.

The denizens of Downing Street can huff and puff all they like, but their house is coming down...

http://5thnovember.blogspot.com/

Blogg said:
May get there yet:

.........the police have recently discovered an evidential "smoking gun" and that they are now more confident that this will all see the light of day at the Old Bailey. There is increasing confidence that the CPS will be compelled, by the evidence, to bring prosecutions.

The denizens of Downing Street can huff and puff all they like, but their house is coming down...

http://5thnovember.blogspot.com/

Don't waste our time mate - there was nothing there.