The trailer preponderance device.

Discussion in 'REME' started by Crafty990, Jan 9, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There's one of these in our G10, I've never used it but have to give a lesson on it's use to a load of RMP gimps. Anyone out there ever used one and have some handy tips or does it just get dug out for calibration once a year like ours.
  2. If it's what I think it is, it may be obsolete, what's the NSN?
  3. I aint at work at the moment so can't get the NSN but it's like a sprung trailer landing leg with a spirit level at the top which fits under the trailer towing pintle. Usually stored in a black nylon bag about 3 feet long.
  4. IIRC, the instructions for it's use are on the pack it comes in so should be easy for you to practice using it and, using the supplied instructions, formulate a lesson plan.
  5. So you're instructing on a piece of equipment you have never used... and I assume you yourself have never been trained on.

That'll look good onthe ILUO chart.
  6. Cooooooooorrrrrrrrrrect! I have never used it but I'm just running through trailer loading and we've got one in the store so I thought it would be worth taking a gander at it.
  7. In that case you're not 'instructing' on it as such.

If you want to bring it in to the lesson just explain what preponderance is and how it affects the vehicle.

I'd use it as a 'test' device for when they stack everything at one end of the trailer. You can also explain that the trailer layout was tested with such a device, and why they shouldn't deviate from the prescribed layout.

If they bring their own rovers and trailers (or use one of your own) and get tehm to load it, tetris stylee.

We used to have a special one for one of the Rover fits the Signals used to use... on the grounds that it was right on the limit and about 4inches lower on the suspension than a GS/FFR. If the trailer was loaded wrong you would literally push the load over the line... but then so would a bloke with a second water bottle in his belt kit!

But I have to say I've never used the standard one.
  8. It's issued as part of the unit Lightweight Trailer scale, although considering what it's there for there was never any sense in the quantity that unit's got issued with in comparison to the number of trailers. So the logic as stated above is that you use it to ensure the correct trailer noseweight, a parameter set by the trailer manufacturer and constained by the hitch load parameter of the towing vehicle, prior to use. As there's not one for each vehicle then you create a loading plan for each vehicle/trailer combination and make the user aware of the implications of deviating from it. I imagine the reason we had the size and strength of the NATO tow hitch was so that we wouldn't have to worry too much about trailer balancing.