The tragic loss of gardens

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Just as a matter of interest (you might not know!) What the hell are those aerials on the houses across the neutral green zone?
There are four 'high gain' aerials, all probably overkill, save for the elevation, there is one Log Periodic pointing at a different transmitter - probably the smart choice - see Aerials - A.T.V. Poles, Brackets, Clamps & Aerials for details

I weep. Through Naval radio systems, crystal radios, and amateur radio toil, you’ve come out of it with a licence (that lets you transmit on Her Majesty’s (and others’) airwaves), and the best you can come up with is “beard”? People like @greenbaggyskin, @endure, @Electromagnetic, @itchy300 and I have spent our lives in the service of v=fλ, and ”Beard” is the best you can come up with?

In any case, the 4x sheep are of less interest to me than Mrs Miggins at No73 in the middle, with a plain old Yagi pointing the either way. She’s either onto something the others aren’t, or has been left behind :)

Central Government has pressurised Local Authorities to build more for years. And this includes the NIMBY true blue areas.
LAs for years have made big noise about brown field development, but it’s too slow.
So a guy who has owned land for 20 years with a plan no one wanted is in favour.
Front gardens: I live in a late 60s house in a village in Hampshire. A little place on the edge of a big place.
I have a yew tree out front. The chaps who reduced some oaks out back did the yew for a reasonable amount. Kept the volume, and within a few years we will have a nice low coverage. We look onto a lane with a public footpath , so have lots of passers by.
Drive is solid concrete. Nearby neighbour still totters by, and reminds me he laid it way back when. You could park a Chieftain on it today.
Or lots of cars, should you wish.

I’m not opposed to building homes for people to live in. Everybody has to live somewhere and with an expanding population, it’s unrealistic to suppose that the existing stock will cope with the demand. I do think though that homes should be built to a standard that allows for a quality of life to be experienced by us all.

The area I live in in West London right in the periphery has several housing estates that started life as Council housing estates back in the fifties and sixties. Some of the stock remains as Council property with tenants but the right to buy has slowly transformed the majority of the stock into private ownership on all the estates since the right to buy was brought in during the Thatcher years.

They are quite pleasant places to live in. The houses aren’t oversized but they are certainly adequate and they all have a decent sized garden. The streets are nicely laid out with grassed areas and the roads while not overly large do cope quite adequately with the traffic which is mostly people who do actually live on the estates.

They are easily identified as former Council estates because of the uniformity of the housing on the estate but they are generally well built and attractive places to live from an aesthetic point of view. You live on them quite peacefully enjoying being with your family and potter around in the garden on whatever you want to do. We for example have just built a fair sized picture framing workshop down the bottom of our garden.

It’s also nice if you just want to spend some time in a bit of solitude enjoying the peace and quite away from the bustle and noise of the house.

Now compare those former Council estates with what private developers are throwing up now.

Every single new development around here has been large sized high density 95% flats crammed together in warrens without any of the advantages that the those of us who live on the former Council estates enjoy.

No gardens and minimal open green spaces only there because the spot was simply to small to cram another block of flats on it. They are concrete and brick jungles. The chances of any inter action between neighbours is minimal and god help the children who grow up in these places. My children as youngsters had a large rectangle of grass in the front of the house to congregate on and kick a ball around or ride their bikes on etc. Where do kids do that in these concrete jungles with almost nowhere to get together and play?

So by all means build housing. Just build it though with designs that ensure the residents will enjoy some quality of life while at home rather than being locked away in a box with no sense of community whatsoever and no chance of their kids being kids with other kids!

You know…. Proper houses with gardens and stuff!

endure

GCM
I weep. Through Naval radio systems, crystal radios, and amateur radio toil, you’ve come out of it with a licence (that lets you transmit on Her Majesty’s (and others’) airwaves), and the best you can come up with is “beard”? People like @greenbaggyskin, @endure, @Electromagnetic, @itchy300 and I have spent our lives in the service of v=fλ, and ”Beard” is the best you can come up with?

In any case, the 4x sheep are of less interest to me than Mrs Miggins at No73 in the middle, with a plain old Yagi pointing the either way. She’s either onto something the others aren’t, or has been left behind :)
Mrs Miggin's Yagi is pointing towards the Rodina and her real name is Ekaterina Petrova...

Just to add some context to my two earlier posts at #95 and #106, here are some pictures of the site now where the RAF camp and the NATCC were previously and the site has been redeveloped into a mixture of private homes and privately rented homes.

This is the entrance to the place.

Here’s some pictures of the high density flats.

https://i.imgur.com/8XZLcYI.jpg

These pictures are the houses on the site.

https://i.imgur.com/g1hpLbK.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/22JRNsX.jpg

Here’s an example of the parking in a road just across from the estate caused by the parking policy of having to pay extra to park a second or third car etc on the new estate.

https://i.imgur.com/cl8IMOd.jpg

A wonderful and idyllic place to raise your family eh!

Mrs Londo does . Mainly so she can shout at the telly :omg:
Of course perhaps I should have clarified no one watches TV that comes in through a piece of wire stuck to the chimney. They watch Netflix or YouTube or Hotstar or Amazon Prime or whatever they have downloaded off pirate sites, either on the big black screen in the corner, on their gadgets or in my case on the PC screen in my home office, but I can't remember anyone actually watching free-to-view TV in months.

I only noticed this fact the other day and actually found it quite disconcerting.

Do people still watch TV? I know no one in my house has done so in the past year or so.
House bound pensioners, the bone idle work shy chavs, those on sick leave, and retired blokes like me, who after a rigorous day of house maintenance, gardening, shopping, shed work, pursuing my hobbies and browsing the internet, and Arrse, settle down with a mug of hot and sweet, plate of noshables, and enjoy, combat dealers, ww2 footage of the yanks in the pacific, anything by David Attenbourough, Andre Rieu or the old black and white films from the 30's-60's. If not on, a good book.

I know, its very sad, and i don't drink, i must get out more :p

Edit to add: I do not have cable satellite or any subscription TV.

Last edited:
30 years ago we had the two car families. The mums would get themselves a car, needing two spaces.
Now we have 3- 4 cars in a family ( and sometimes a work van) as the two grown up kids live at home and each own a car.
Hence why people’s gardens are dug up and turned into car parks.
Genuinely quite sad.

House bound pensioners, the bone idle work shy chavs, those on sick leave, and retired blokes like me, who after a rigorous day of house maintenance, gardening, shopping, shed work, pursuing my hobbies and browsing the internet, and Arrse, settle down with a mug of hot and sweet, plate of noshables, and enjoy, combat dealers, ww2 footage of the yanks in the pacific, anything by David Attenbourough, Andre Rieu or the old black and white films from the 30's-60's. If not on, a good book.

I know, its very sad, and i don't drink, i must get out more :p
Again I would suggest most of what you enjoy watching doesn't come from scheduled free-to-air TV like the BBC or ITV.

Bloody obvious perhaps, but it only dawned on me recently how much our viewing habits have changed in so short a time.

Anyway, I have dragged the thread off topic enough as it is.

as the two grown up kids live at home and each own a car.
At one time 3 out of our 6 offspring had cars, and all lived at home, now they are all gone, and our drive is Automobile free, as mine have always lived in the garage, the only one in our road that uses his garage, as a garage. When we have a family DO, all six descend en-mass, and the drive is full. We still have a lawned and tree lined drive.:p

Latest Threads