The Tragedy of the American Military

Worth the read, for this gem alone
Moulton told me that the main lesson he’ll apply from his four tours in Iraq is the importance of service, of whatever kind. He said that Harvard’s famed chaplain during Moulton’s years as an undergraduate physics student, the late Peter J. Gomes, had convinced him that “it’s not enough to ‘believe’ in service. You should find a way, yourself, to serve.” Barring unimaginable changes, “service” in America will not mean a draft. But Moulton says he will look for ways “to promote a culture where more people want to serve.”

I was in the US Marines a couple times in Iraq, so this reminded me of that famed graffiti photo there, something to the affect of "America isn't at war; the Marines and Army are at war. America is at the mall."

What really gets me is how many people suspected me of having PTSD or whatever just because I didn't watch TV or own much of anything or want to hang out with many, other than my collie. It's not that we're necessarily messed up; I think we just see how truly hollow the society often is that we return to.

PS - for what it's worth to anyone, especially Catholics, probably the best thing I ever did was find a good church, started life over again, and above all went to confession. The priest couldn't have been better about the whole thing, really! And yes, a screen and wall were there, so he had no idea who I was.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
I was in the US Marines a couple times in Iraq, so this reminded me of that famed graffiti photo there, something to the affect of "America isn't at war; the Marines and Army are at war. America is at the mall."

I saw something similar "The British Army is not at war, it is on operations"

Latest Threads