Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Times: "Talbot House, The Tommies’ Sober Refuge, Is Finally Facing Defeat"

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
Took a very good friend on a tour there. Toc H was closed so we went to Ginger's Bar.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I tried again with go fund me but no luck, contacted Simon at Talbot house
you can use the link here
the exchange rate is very good as well

This looks an interesting document
I might manage t get down and view it later this year

The Archives are kept in Birmingham, and the Charity although slimmed down still does good work

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
A bit of history about the Lamps
some are still missing, pity that so many were destroyed though rather than stored
I am willing to bet there are a few tucked away in sheds

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Getting there slowly

€41,960 raised of €100,000 target

also just found our our Local MP is a distant relative
Alex Chalk MP
I would be so delighted if anyone is able to join me in supporting Talbot House, a crucial party of British Army history, which now faces closure. I declare a personal interest: Talbot House (or 'Toc H') was set up by my great grandfather, Neville Talbot, during WWI as a home from home for British soldiers on the Ypres Salient. He named it after his brother, Lt Gilbert Talbot, who was killed in action aged 21, leading men of the 7th Battalion Rifle Brigade in a doomed counter-attack in Hooge, Belgium. "Come on lads, now's our time!" were his last words, shortly before he was shot.

I realise there are endless other demands on the apparently boundless generosity of the British people. But my great-grandfather will haunt me if I don't sound the alarm!!
Thank you for reading. Alex
Details via the link below:

Getting there slowly

€41,960 raised of €100,000 target

also just found our our Local MP is a distant relative
Alex Chalk MP
I would be so delighted if anyone is able to join me in supporting Talbot House, a crucial party of British Army history, which now faces closure. I declare a personal interest: Talbot House (or 'Toc H') was set up by my great grandfather, Neville Talbot, during WWI as a home from home for British soldiers on the Ypres Salient. He named it after his brother, Lt Gilbert Talbot, who was killed in action aged 21, leading men of the 7th Battalion Rifle Brigade in a doomed counter-attack in Hooge, Belgium. "Come on lads, now's our time!" were his last words, shortly before he was shot.

I realise there are endless other demands on the apparently boundless generosity of the British people. But my great-grandfather will haunt me if I don't sound the alarm!!
Thank you for reading. Alex

In 2018 at the RAH the 100th remembrance ceremony of the end of WW1, a sepia photo of a soldier was projected onto 4 screens in the middle of the hall, that was my grandfather, 1752 Sgt R.S.Block, Royal fusiliers ( 1st & 2nd , then 38th & 40st Batt Judeans) Allenby's cypher Sgt, & Sheas desert column. He Witnessed the surrender of Jerusalem by the turks to Allenby in December 1917.
He died in 1969, aged 70. His daughter, my mother is still alive at 88. He was a great friend of Tubby clayton, one of the founders of Toc-h, and done some wonderful illuminated manuscripts, that were presented to The Rev clayton, at his church, All Hallows, on Tower hill, london. I am inordinately proud to be his grandson.

Last edited:

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
We are getting there slowly
I would much rather our government donate some money to this worthy cause, than to airlines and african despots

€56,883 raised of €100,000 target

stantheman

Old-Salt
Just given some money to this appeal, it's now just over 69,000 euros . Looks like they should make it!

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Just given some money to this appeal, it's now just over 69,000 euros . Looks like they should make it!
even if they dont, being somewhere near will help, I have had loads of charities sending me letters asking for money, as they all have overpaid CEOs they can take a running jump

stantheman

Old-Salt
Lovely to see the video of Georges walk. Look forward to the arrival at Talbot House.

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
Wonderful. Been planning another couple of trips but obviously they went for a ball of chalk. Any details on how eventually I can book? Old mate, artilleryman God love him for it, is wanting to go.

Latest Threads