The Times speaks up for the Tommy

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by hansvonhealing, Nov 6, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A good article, be nice to see something similar come from the Sun wouldn't it.....????

2. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Excellent piece. The magazine has a feature on Jeremy Clarkson and AA Gill visiting Iraq, with some poignant comments, too.

3. Good article. Just bought the Sunday Mail, for the "wild Geese" DVD. And the front page accuses Blind Pue, WMF etc and straw of underhand dealing with the DNA company.

Will read and pass on any interesting snippets.

JJ

4. At last a journo who thinks and writes! AA Gill should be good. He has written a great piece on the sniping course in his book "AA Gill is away" very readable and an honest truism of life in the Services.

5. Finally, someone understands our grievances and speaks for us as a collective. I’m also glad it’s from a newspaper with a reputation for reliability.

6. :D :D This is one of the best and most honest pieces of editorial 'truth' that I have seen in some time. Not only does it give the 'wart's and all' story but it shows that there is dissent in the forces.
    Our masters in Whitehall drop their trousers all too easily for a butt hammering from bLiar's spin doctors and the tabloids......Piers.....come to mummy :twisted: :twisted:

Rock on the truth 8O 8O

7. The danger with this story is that it appears to be saying that there are more important concerns than prosecuting soldiers for murder.

I remain to be convinced of that.

8. How about prosecuting Uncle Tony for murder? he holds ultimate responsibility. Would seem to be far more important than prosecuting soldiers.........

Seems to me that some of our legal genuises ought to prosecuted for living on immoral earnings while we're at it

9. Sorry Jag - didn't express myself clearly enough.

What I mean is that the article is making a great deal of noise about soldiers stressing about being investigated. So what? It was ever thus. Would you rather serve in an Armed Force where these things aren't taken very seriously indeed?

I know I wouldn't.

And I can say that as someone who was invited to account for my actions by the good people in the Branch - it's part of the way we do business. We are extremely highly regarded around the world, as we are seen as an organisation that polices itself and maintains the very highest standards possible under the circumstances.

10. The article says the the judge 'put the boot' into the RMP. How can they be held responsible for doing their job? Lok at what's happened to them since we've ben out there. They investigate and put the evidence forward for consideration. It's not the decision of the RMP whether there is enough evidence to take a case to court. That responsibility is that of the Army Prosecution Authority and a Brigadier at that. The judge can't even attribute blame to the right people.

Don't think I'm on your side monkey boys . We ain't freinds, we ain't pals nor are we taking warm showers together.

11. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

I don't think anyone has a problem with accountability or investigation. It's the way in which the established system is being second-guessed for what appear to be politically-motivated reasons, or because slimy left-wing lawyers are exploiting certain aspects of arab culture.

12. Like Mr Shiner?

13. Ref Clarkson's remarks from the Iraq article. Is this just Clarkson bluster and humour or is he being serious? :

Nevertheless, Adrian and I were due to board one of them on a Sunday at oh-my-God o'clock. "Why," I wailed, "does it have to be so early? Why don't you forces people ever set off anywhere at tea time?" A silly question, as it turns out. They have to leave in the dark in Britain so disaffected youths from Bradford can't pass the departure time to their mates in Iraq; and they have to land in the dark as well.

honestly? hand on heart hope to die stick a sausage in your eye?

14. Investigation and prosecution of serious offences is exactly how it should be Darth, but paying witnesses vast amounts of money (or vast to them at any rate) and allowing less than scrupulous legal boffins to make huge somes of money from decidedly dodgey practices is not acceptable.
    Corruption is rife at the highest possible levels (Bush downwards) and it is wholly wrong that this has been allowed to extend into the methods used to monitor the standards of our armed forces and prosecute them for alleged breaches of these standards. If we took a close look at who profits from these actions.
    In the case of the recent collapsed prosecutions nobody who matters has gained, not the Iraqi's concerned, not the Army, not local situation and certainly not the soldiers concerned. I'm sure in the eyes of most it makes our armed forces look a little foolish.

It seems to me that the biggest consequence is simply to constantly erode the British Soldiers position in every possible way for the sake of political correctness. We all know what is morally acceptable behavior, that is what needs to be maintained, but now lives are at risk because there is an excessively heavy line drawn and most are never quite sure which side of it they are walking on