Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Times - How a text message can wreck your Army career

BedIn

LE
Regular Adjutant flirting with impressionable student. Just wrong. OTCs are the graveyard of many a career - many PSIs simply can't keep it in and many a junior Reg officer has broken. This is common knowledge. The basic principle of working with OTCs is keep it above reproach/doubt/misinterpretation at all times. Common knowledge and common sense.

This is a biased report. Do you really think that GOC Support Command doesn't take legal advice? Do you not think he knows the implications of mismanagement of such a case? Again, I've dealt with the G1 discipline side of life for 1*/2* and have been amazed at the painstaking approach.

Letter of censure a career ended? Only in that in this case he would struggle to convert a commission. But then so do many others as a result of things in their reports. How about his OJAR said "acted inappropriately with subordinates"? Would he be able to convert then? I know many very good people who have recently struggled to convert; it's a manning leaver and conversions in no way a right.

Nothing to see here. Move on.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Not quite as racy as the Adjt of a now disbanded RSIGNALS unit who brought his wife and girlfriend (TA Offr) to a Regimental function. By all accounts there was a fair cat-fight when the two were introduced "I'm sorry, I am afraid I don't know who you are, but let me introduce you to the Adjt's girlfriend". Even funnier, so I am told, was the ****** of a regular CO who ordered the entire Officers' Mess into an anteroom and tried to bollock the lot of them.

m-s-r

Jumping to the defence of the TA as usual! My point was rather that I had done absolutely feck all and yet that ****** of a TA CO, who had no idea about leading people having not been through any formal TA career course nor even a basic understanding of how to treat people, had the brass balls to accuse me of having an affair based on hearsay. Wouldn't put it in ****ing writing though, would she? At least your Adjt was caught bang to rights!

You will not change my POV. That CO was an absolute arse compounded by the fact that she was TA. There are plenty of Reg CO ******* as well but that experience of the TA was enough for me.

Anyway, this isn't about the TA vs Reg before it descends into chaos, it's about UOTCs, toxic leadership, etc.

Exmarine

War Hero
Introduce the smell of muff into the equation and many a sensible bloke turns to utter mush and stupidity. Sending texts...Guilty as charged.

msr

LE
Jumping to the defence of the TA as usual! My point was rather that I had done absolutely feck all and yet that ****** of a TA CO, who had no idea about leading people having not been through any formal TA career course nor even a basic understanding of how to treat people, had the brass balls to accuse me of having an affair based on hearsay. Wouldn't put it in ****ing writing though, would she? At least your Adjt was caught bang to rights!

You will not change my POV. That CO was an absolute arse compounded by the fact that she was TA. There are plenty of Reg CO ******* as well but that experience of the TA was enough for me.

Anyway, this isn't about the TA vs Reg before it descends into chaos, it's about UOTCs, toxic leadership, etc.

Not trying to convert you at all.

Just realised how pertinent your experience seems to be that of the OP. Someone accused of sending flirtatious text messages appears to have been effectively drummed out of the army on the basis of hearsay...

msr

LE
Introduce the smell of muff into the equation and many a sensible bloke turns to utter mush and stupidity. Sending texts...Guilty as charged.

With no actual evidence of those texts? Are you Comd Legal?

Yet some 70 years ago people of barely that age were flying night-time bomber raids over Germany...

If you don't think any inter-rank hanky panky goes on at OTCs, I suggest you might want to cover the legs of your tables, send a child up your chimney and avoid the East End of London.

m-s-r

A product of environment; it's a different mentality now. There are many of the people at my university I wouldn't trust with a spoon, let alone a Lancaster and a map of Europe.

Not trying to convert you at all.

Just realised how pertinent your experience seems to be that of the OP. Someone accused of sending flirtatious text messages appears to have been effectively drummed out of the army on the basis of hearsay...

Truth be told, I very nearly threw in the towel during that tour. Glad I didn't though, wouldn't liked to have given her the ****ing pleasure.

Ref Capt McLEoad? He's been a bit daft but a five-year letter of censure on the basis of texts and a Facebook exchange? **** me, two married (well, one engaged) officers, one of them a CO, caught having an affair and exposed in the Sun 'only' got three!

Colonel Phil Harrison and Lt Colonel Debbie Slay suspended from Army after embarrassing 'affair' | Mail Online

Even if the allegations had substance, that's a bit steep.

CRmeansCeilingReached

ADC
Reminds me of my Trg Maj days at a TA unit. I was at a function for the unit when I decided to bug out late at night, sober too, when one of the female TA officers decided to do one as well so we left together and stood outside chatting for about five mins before going our separate ways. Next day, I'm having an affair with this girl and it's the biggest scandal to hit the unit. The fact that she was in her early thirties and married to a serving officer who was also a friend of mine was irrelevant to the ****** of a TA CO who warned me off about fraternising with female TA officers. Utterly, utterly stupid beyond belief so if that can happen that easily in a supposedly grown-up environment, **** knows what it's like at a UOTC.

The most miserable tour of my Army career thus far, that one.

that reminded me of something nearly 20 years ago. My OC accused me of having an affair with a (non-specific) "wife of" at RAF Scampton. The basis for this accusation was that I was living in the single accommodation, but that morning he saw me driving out of the married patch. Because there was no snow on my car, he concluded that I had parked my car in her garage overnight (so it wouldn't be seen). Therefore I was obviously having an affair with a married woman from the patch.

I explained to this moron that:

• the reason I was driving out of the married patch was - it was the one-way circuit from the cookhouse, where I had just eaten breakfast.

• the reason there was no snow on my car was that I had driven in from my girlfriend's house in Lincoln, so all the snow had melted off my car during the journey.

But just like you - accused on the basis of ****-all, due to the fantastic analytical skills of somebody who thinks he knows everything.

Switchback

War Hero
A minor difference in circumstances- both are in positions of trust and behaving inappropriately towards their trustees. The fact they were consenting (and capable of consent) in this case is a small point.

I beg to differ. I think it was unprofessional but not immoral behaviour. Turn the same or similar situation into a 25 year old teacher working with 14/15 year old girls and it's a new ball game entirely. But it's a matter of opinion (unless the teacher actually touches the kids, then it's a matter for the CPS!).

I beg to differ. I think it was unprofessional but not immoral behaviour. Turn the same or similar situation into a 25 year old teacher working with 14/15 year old girls and it's a new ball game entirely. But it's a matter of opinion (unless the teacher actually touches the kids, then it's a matter for the CPS!).

Ah, fair point.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using ARRSE mobile app

Latest Threads