the tigers

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by masher69, Feb 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. did the hampshires serve in the first gulf war ?
  2. Pretty sure they didn't. However individuals will have in E2 positions
  3. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

They were part of the Staffords Battle Group (7 Armd Bde, 1 Armd Div), which included: 1 Staffords,
    B Sqn RSDG, C Squadron QRIH, a battery from 40 Regiment RA, Anti-Tank (Milan) Company, 1 Royal Green Jackets and 1 Royal Hampshire. Not sure if it was just elements from the battalion though.
  4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Definetly Jackets there as one of my ex recruits was Milan attached using the Dalek bins on the apcs.
  5. I always understood the "Tigers" to mean the old Leicesters Battalion (probably now R Anglian).

Was I wrong?
  6. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

You're not entirely wrong. The ancestor of the old 1st Battalion The Hampshire Regt was the 67th Foot. The 1/67th, during this time, had been stationed in India from 1805 to 1826, George IV recognized their 21 years of faithful overseas service by granting them the right to add the Royal Tiger and the name “India” to their Colours. Hence their nickname “The Tigers”.

It carried on with the later incarnation of the Royal Hampshire Regiment and is still used as a nickname for its modern descendant, the Princess of Wales Royal Regiment.

The Royal Leicestershire Regiment was also called The Tigers for exactly the same reason! The 17th Foot had just done 20 odd years on the sub-continent and got the Royal Tiger a couple of years after their return too. Their descendant is now B Coy, 2nd Battalion, Royal Anglian Regimen (Poachers?). I guess the nickname just didn't carry forward.
  7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I did a visit to The Hamps in 79 in Munster, (oddly the same Barracks I served in later with 1LI). They had a pair of solid silver tigers in the officers mess as table centre pieces (not full size) They lost the silver from the 2nd Bn on the withdrawal from Burma I seem to recall.
  8. no 1 royal hampshires did not serve in the first gulf war, 3 queens however who later amalgamated with them got medals whilst in cyprus because they were within scud range, known throughout pwrr as sunbathing medals.
    hope this helps.
  9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

They also worked as Navvies loading hercs, Either woody or Brighton Hippy was there on an S type from 5 Queens I think! Or one of my lads at the time did it!
  10. I remember chatting to a lad from 1 RGJ who served in Gulf 1- he told me a story about an order to stop a civvy bus full of fleeing Iraqi soldiers - unfortunately the officer who said it was on the anti tanks net and forgot to switch frequencies - the bus did stop and caused £40,000 damage to the warhead of the Milan missile sent to do the job!
  11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Sounds about right!
  12. If memory serves me right a number of 1 R HAMPS Recce Pl also served with 1 STAFFORDS during Gulf War 1
  13. Its alright people calling them sunbathing medals but I burnt my hand on the barbeque! As for being in scud range the prevailing theory from the boffins was that they would have had to take the warheads off and gaffer tape a grenade to the end so they could carry enough fuel to reach Cyprus.
  14. Would these be the same SCUDs that missed the whole of the Arabian Paninsular on occasion. I imgine hitting a small dot in the Med would be nearly impossable, even if they could make the range.
  15. 3 Queens Recce Plt were on constant Patrols and Ops with full scale of ready ammo throughout conflict.
    The rest of the Battalion were on round the clock unloading and loading the Herc’s for staging post.

It met the criteria for a medal, less bar