The Tiger Kills - help needed

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by castlereagh, Sep 25, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Tiger Kills is the official Indian government history of the Indian troops and the 8th army in Africa but I was rather hoping if some of the military historians could help me clear up a couple of picture queries.

Picture A - Is the soldier in the middle holding a trowel or is it something else?

[​IMG]

Picture B - Is the plane in the picture, a stuka or a messerschmitt?

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance, Castlereagh

2. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

At the risk of this not being a wah... a khukri perchance?????

3. It is; not sure about the aircraft though.

4. This must be a Wah!

If not, here's a clue:
    1. It's a Kukrhi
    2. Looks like a Ju-87 (Stuka)

5. (A) at the risk of succumbing to a Wah, is it not one of those large cutting implements chaps answering to 'Johnny' wave about to considerable effect to scare the opposition (particularly if the opposition is Argentine)?

(B) Looks like a Stuka. Wing shape appears correct, and the tail looks very Ju-87 like, too.

6. It's not a wah! It's just my ignorance :oops:

Picture A - is from the 16th Punjab regiment, so my confusion :?

But thanks for the help! :D

7. Castlereagh. From the caption on Pic A, the action may be at Djebil Garci, Tunisia on 18th April 1943 fought by 4th Indian Division. The main players were 4/6 Rajputana Rifles and 1/9 Gurkhas - which would explain the kukhri.

8. I think you are right, I think I have misinterpreted the picture, my copy of Tiger Kills is pretty poor, it is held together of sellotape and has certain pages missing! :cry:

Thanks again for all the help.

9. Archimedes gets my vote. The bent aeroplane has all the right shapes to be a Ju 87.

10. iF you need copies of the missing pages I can scan them.

11. Picture 2 is definitely a Stuka.

For some excellent pictures of all aspects of the desert war , the Australian war memorial archives are a must see. They are online, and growing at a phenomenal rate.

12. I've a feeling père Whiffler has this book. Is it a black cover with a white silhouette-type effect?.

If so, it's years since I read it, and the copy is very battered.

13. oh thanks, PM you with the details of what pages I need .

and red, with a fearsome Punjab type on it?

[​IMG]

thanks again for all the help and advice.

14. PTP, you left ".au" off that url!