The Tiger Kills - help needed

The Tiger Kills is the official Indian government history of the Indian troops and the 8th army in Africa but I was rather hoping if some of the military historians could help me clear up a couple of picture queries.

Picture A - Is the soldier in the middle holding a trowel or is it something else?

Picture B - Is the plane in the picture, a stuka or a messerschmitt?

Thanks in advance, Castlereagh

castlereagh said:
The Tiger Kills is the official Indian government history of the Indian troops and the 8th army in Africa but I was rather hoping if some of the military historians could help me clear up a couple of picture queries.

Picture A - Is the soldier in the middle holding a trowel or is it something else?

Picture B - Is the plane in the picture, a stuka or a messerschmitt?

Thanks in advance, Castlereagh

At the risk of this not being a wah... a khukri perchance?????

(A) at the risk of succumbing to a Wah, is it not one of those large cutting implements chaps answering to 'Johnny' wave about to considerable effect to scare the opposition (particularly if the opposition is Argentine)?

(B) Looks like a Stuka. Wing shape appears correct, and the tail looks very Ju-87 like, too.

Castlereagh. From the caption on Pic A, the action may be at Djebil Garci, Tunisia on 18th April 1943 fought by 4th Indian Division. The main players were 4/6 Rajputana Rifles and 1/9 Gurkhas - which would explain the kukhri.

TangoFowerAlpha said:
Castlereagh. From the caption on Pic A, the action may be at Djebil Garci, Tunisia on 18th April 1943 fought by 4th Indian Division. The main players were 4/6 Rajputana Rifles and 1/9 Gurkhas - which would explain the kukhri.
I think you are right, I think I have misinterpreted the picture, my copy of Tiger Kills is pretty poor, it is held together of sellotape and has certain pages missing! :cry:

Thanks again for all the help.

castlereagh said:
TangoFowerAlpha said:
I think you are right, I think I have misinterpreted the picture, my copy of Tiger Kills is pretty poor, it is held together of sellotape and has certain pages missing! :cry:

iF you need copies of the missing pages I can scan them.

Picture 2 is definitely a Stuka.

For some excellent pictures of all aspects of the desert war , the Australian war memorial archives are a must see. They are online, and growing at a phenomenal rate.

I've a feeling père Whiffler has this book. Is it a black cover with a white silhouette-type effect?.

If so, it's years since I read it, and the copy is very battered.

Pteranadon said:
castlereagh said:
TangoFowerAlpha said:

iF you need copies of the missing pages I can scan them.
oh thanks, PM you with the details of what pages I need .

whiffler said:
I've a feeling père Whiffler has this book. Is it a black cover with a white silhouette-type effect?.

If so, it's years since I read it, and the copy is very battered.
and red, with a fearsome Punjab type on it?

thanks again for all the help and advice.

Edited :oops:

PartTimePongo said:
http://www.awm.gov.au

Enjoy :)
Aaagh, truly military history is the thief of time!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
rustygun Aviation 12
napier Infantry 16
Forces_Sweetheart The Intelligence Cell 6