The third world war

Can anyone remember reading a book by General Sir John Hackett called the "Third World War" - it was pre Gulf War and Challenger, IIRC we still had Chieftains and were reinforced by 2 (British) Corps but our lifespan was only calculated at around 2 days or 8 minutes if you were a Tankie !

It was a cracking good read at the time, but can't seem to find a copy nowadays.

Can anyone remember reading a book by General Sir John Hackett called the "Third World War" - it was pre Gulf War and Challenger, IIRC we still had Chieftains and were reinforced by 2 (British) Corps but our lifespan was only calculated at around 2 days or 8 minutes if you were a Tankie !

It was a cracking good read at the time, but can't seem to find a copy nowadays.
I found one on Abe Books a few years ago.

Third World War

Yours for £2.11 delivered!

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
I have it somewhere, and its sequel. I suspect it was written before i was born but agree its a good read!

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
I have a copy, and the sequel (The Untold Story) which I may be willing to donate for a Hols4Heros Auction if the GCO/BCO/PG etc wish.

I'll be back in the UK in 10 days so you can't have it before then.

C

cloudbuster

A cracking read, both of them. Those of us who were there thought it a pretty fair appraisal.

I gave the paperback to a charity bag last year as I found a hard back copy in a charity shop.

Chieftain was a pretty good read as well for a WWIII could have been from an RTR prospective

RC

Just had a thought.. was going to start a new thread... but will shoe horn it into this one. A decade before Hackett set his scenario.. Picture Detmold Germany 1976/ 78. It kicks off, lots of goose stepping E Germans and Russkies come marching out of the East. What happens to the mums and Brats (of which I am one) ? do you think we would have been evacuated ? would it have been done in time ? or would we have been left to hassle, whinge and annoy the **** out of the invading Russian squaddies, beings that we were so good at doing that to our dads ??

C

cloudbuster

I think the plan was to monitor the threat-levels through BRIXMIS, and as matters escalated evacuate dependants on buses and trains to the Channel ports. Given the state of the buses in use at the time, you'd be pulling into Zeebrugge at about the same time as our protagonists.

I think the plan was to monitor the threat-levels through BRIXMIS, and as matters escalated evacuate dependants on buses and trains to the Channel ports. Given the state of the buses in use at the time, you'd be pulling into Zeebrugge at about the same time as our protagonists.
Thats reassuring cloudbuster ! re buses surely you dont mean those dark green rounded heaps I remember kids going to school in ? (I walked, thankfully )

C

cloudbuster

Thats reassuring cloudbuster ! re buses surely you dont mean those dark green rounded heaps I remember kids going to school in ? (I walked, thankfully )
Yep, Bedford SB3/5, When I got picked up at Munster-Greven for the ride to Detmold in May 79 I thought it must have been a museum-piece. But no, there were hoards of them.

Yep, Bedford SB3/5, When I got picked up at Munster-Greven for the ride to Detmold in May 79 I thought it must have been a museum-piece. But no, there were hoards of them.
Oh My ! glad I walked to school. what did you do in Detmold ? Hobart barracks (airfield and 4 armed wkshps) or ellis barracks or the other barracks with all the horses in ?

Is this the book where we respond with 4 missiles on Minsk following on from birmingham getting it?
yes I think so... it follows a captain in the Russkie 95th motorised rifle column.. he gets killed by either a tank shell or a helicopter fired missle of some description.

Have you ever had a Beef Minsk Telemachus ??(not for dinner by the way :))

There was a thread on this a while back.

I was reliving my old days reading WW3 and ploting the action on a BAOR Route Map. Suitably dressed in combats 1968 pattern/shirt hairy KF Kharki, and NBC suit MK1 with a detachable hood in a slit trench in my flower bed.

I have the second copy/edition of the book plus another one written by the Americans on the 1950's.

I dig them out and put them up for auction for HOLS4HERO'S.

Another way of getting the Pads back to blighty in time to be nuked, was that all the BFG cars were pooled and the 'wives of' drove to the channel ports in convoy with big sticky Union Flags plasted on them. Wacky racer style.

Why do you think BFG cars were cheap!!!

Ah Detmold, a cracking posting. Arrived there in Jan 1980 having spent 4 months in Herford at Div Main. TF Hotel/HQ 20 Armd Bde was like a breath of fresh air, enjoyed my 18 months at Hobart hugely. Katies Bar (next to the sex shop run by Hugo), Heinrich Pothoffs, Sanders & the Neuer Krug (best prawn cocktails ever, with Asbach & cream sauce). 71 A/C Wksp bar, got well bladdered in there one night & same in LG NCOs Mess at Lothian.
I went back there for a visit in 1994 & Hobart had been transformed into a Bosniak refugee camp, i've now heard Hobart is abandoned & the Hakedahl is a ghetto for Russian refugees. If you want up to date info about DT, PM YesItsMe - she used to work in Hobart. Sad times now.

Just had a thought.. was going to start a new thread... but will shoe horn it into this one. A decade before Hackett set his scenario.. Picture Detmold Germany 1976/ 78. It kicks off, lots of goose stepping E Germans and Russkies come marching out of the East. What happens to the mums and Brats (of which I am one) ? do you think we would have been evacuated ? would it have been done in time ? or would we have been left to hassle, whinge and annoy the **** out of the invading Russian squaddies, beings that we were so good at doing that to our dads ??
You would have been raped that much. You would die from dry land drowning from the amount of cum you had in you.