Discussion in 'The Lamp and Sandbag II - The Tall Story Strikes B' started by DB216LOKDVR, Aug 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I picked this book up in a charity shop believing it to be the first one written by General Sir John Hackett (The Third World War; August 1985), published late 70's (which I read in Germany when it was first available via the NAAFI 1978/79).

I wish to read the orginial version (The Third World War; August 1985) again, so I would like to borrow or purchase a copy if anybody has a copy they wish to sell or lend, (over 3,000,000 copies were published).

I am not worried about the condition as long as the copy is readable, and of course if it is lent I will return it. (1033 signed in blood, in triplicate etc)

The book I have is the paper back copy, in fair condition (ex charity shop), readable and complete. (I paid 50 pence for it), which I am prepared to lend or give away once I have compared the story line in both books and crossed referenced to a map of Germany.

Also I would like to purchase an BAOR route planner to tie in with the battles discribed in the books.

If anybody can help, please PM me.

Thank you
  2. I have looked at Amazon to purchase copy, which I may do.

I would still like to purchase an BAOR route planner as issued to all, in Germany if possible.

If anybody wishes to have the copy of the Third World War I have, please PM me.
  3. Set up an ops room with map board and sandbags too. :)
  4. Havent got the book anymore but one thing i remember is that fbty 7rha my mob started the 3rd world war. A bloody good read.
  5. I seem to remember it all started with a nuke airburst over Winson Green.

It would have been a remarkable improvement.
  6. I have it somewhere, I have a several hundred books all over the place so bear with me.

It is the one you are talking about because there is a photo in it entitled, ' The benefit of older non comm's'.
  7. I've dug an NBC shelter and fire trench already, correctly dressed in NBC suit, 58 pattern webbing, mit beret (blacken cap badge) as per Squadron SOPs, awaiting written orders and direction of advance.

I apologize if previous post appeared rude, I did not mean it to, a problem of thinking and writing at the same time, i.e. engaged mouth (fingers) before brain, once again I apologize.
  8. I think it was actually over Gravelly Hill, still as long as Villa Park was close to Ground Zero, I don't mind.

9. I read it in BAOR. Made a lot of us very uncomfortable.
  10. I don't think you were rude.

If you've never read it then you are in for a treat.

Got me thinking that I'd like to read it again now if I can find a copy.

Thanks for reminding me about it.
  11. I've already been looking for it - he was 'Shan' Hackett'?

The rest of the stuff is upstairs or in boxes.
  12. The story line in the Untold Story also states Birmingham recieves a case of Instant Sunshine.
  13. :D

I am almost positive about the location of the airburst because I recall Hackett being so specific about the bomb detonating above the prison at Winson Green.

It was a big one as well as it flattened Birmingham.

If I am mistaken I apologise.
  14. DB216LOKDVR - PM sent, I've a copy I'm happy to loan.

Its a great book.