The things you are no longer qualified to operate anymore...

Well it was a rough evening last night with the other half...

It seems I don't know how to use our new dishwasher, which is a bit of an overly complicated PITA... Had to have the other half give me instructions in Crayola on how to use it. Followed by not being able to figure out how to use the DVR settings on the new TV and deleted one of her shows. So I have been banned from using the remote now...

View attachment 418079

I was reduced to this at the age of 36....

What have you gents been banned from touching or using in your households besides your wives?
Does the Mother in Law count?, sorry I thought you said abusing not using

morsk

LE
Just ones past it or the full fleet? mate put some pics up of ones sitting at Hull docks waiting to be sent to Africa
The lot mate. DROPS are going and the 15t MAN is getting converted into EPLS

Mine always reminds me about our wedding anniversary (and her birthday).

Usually she waits until the actual day has dawned before giving me the reminder in a fun sort of question and don't answer way...

"Don't you know what day it is today you uncaring bastard? My mother warned me what you'd be like, God rest her visionary soul. She knew and I wish I'd liste... No! don't you dare try and wriggle out of it this time. It's the same thing every year you thoughtless pig".​
I am glad we only play this game twice a year..............

...............You, and the rest of mankind,...After (our) 41 years, total it up, 41 Christmases, anniversary's, birthdays, valentines days, total= 164 gifts, flowers, chocolates, some in multiple offerings, its a bloody nightmare trying to find something different ever time. The house is crammed with glass and china bits and pieces( She collects it )our living room looks like a chuffing museum,. There are nearly 200 place plates hanging on the walls of the stair well, and more in the kitchen, as she insists that our kids (6) bring back one from foriegn travels. I am not allowed to forget ANYTHING, as any one of our 4 girls will give me the nod a week or so before the event, which usually means the night before, a mad dash out, trawling the shops in a panic to find something suitable. I am always wrong, even when I'm right. After 4 decades webbed up, I have learnt to block out the wibble and complaining, selective hearing has its advantages, at my age, its a blessing.

burrou1a.jpg

Burroughs B2xxx mainframe.

87Kb of RAM madness that I could divide into 4 partitions (virtual computers). A hard disk drive as big as a Mini Clubman Estate turned on its side, controlled by hydraulic and pneumatic arms... Completely hand, hard wired/soldered, every single connection, he was bespoke made not manufactured, imagine that these days.

A complete pig at times, called Chuggy but my first technological love. Every other computer thereafter was a soul-less, mass-produced PoS.

Chuggy talked to me, it had character, even a fceking sense of black humour: the barrel printer burst into flames whilst printing out the end of year accounts, truly cooking the books, and many more.

Do I miss the bar steward, naw, he's in silicon heaven now and half his circuits will have been melted down and are probably wedding rings. Dusty in here. Where'd the time go?

View attachment 418209

Burroughs B2xxx mainframe.

87Kb of RAM madness that I could divide into 4 partitions (virtual computers). A hard disk drive as big as a Mini Clubman Estate turned on its side, controlled by hydraulic and pneumatic arms... Completely hand, hard wired/soldered, every single connection, he was bespoke made not manufactured, imagine that these days.

A complete pig at times, called Chuggy but my first technological love. Every other computer thereafter was a soul-less, mass-produced PoS.

Chuggy talked to me, it had character, even a fceking sense of black humour: the barrel printer burst into flames whilst printing out the end of year accounts, truly cooking the books, and many more.

Do I miss the bar steward, naw, he's in silicon heaven now and half his circuits will have been melted down and are probably wedding rings. Dusty in here. Where'd the time go?

Grandad, where did you put the coal in?

BopBopBop

Old-Salt
...............You, and the rest of mankind,...After (our) 41 years, total it up, 41 Christmases, anniversary's, birthdays, valentines days, total= 164 gifts, flowers, chocolates, some in multiple offerings, its a bloody nightmare trying to find something different ever time. The house is crammed with glass and china bits and pieces( She collects it )our living room looks like a chuffing museum,. There are nearly 200 place plates hanging on the walls of the stair well, and more in the kitchen, as she insists that our kids (6) bring back one from foriegn travels. I am not allowed to forget ANYTHING, as any one of our 4 girls will give me the nod a week or so before the event, which usually means the night before, a mad dash out, trawling the shops in a panic to find something suitable. I am always wrong, even when I'm right. After 4 decades webbed up, I have learnt to block out the wibble and complaining, selective hearing has its advantages, at my age, its a blessing.
Selective hearing. That's one life skill that drill taught me.

Less of the grandad... I worked with EDS50 and EDS200 disk drives. 5 EDS200 drives would give you a magnificant 1Gb of storage. No longer qualified to clean or use them - it's a good thing they are no longer being made.

No longer hold a government license to handle explosives. Bit more gutted about losing that than the EDS malarky.

download.jpeg

I miss it every time I walk down a UK high street.

The lot mate. DROPS are going and the 15t MAN is getting converted into EPLS
Thought it was odd when MAN came in the lack of ratio of the EPLS to normal flat beds. Be a shame to see DROPS go enjoyed driving them and a versitile platform to boot.

morsk

LE
Thought it was odd when MAN came in the lack of ratio of the EPLS to normal flat beds. Be a shame to see DROPS go enjoyed driving them and a versitile platform to boot.
Was a great platform. Its a reliability issue though. No Leyland means no parts means no taskworthy platforms. It would have been great to buy British, but I am sure you are aware of the MoD procurement policies.....
It is almost impossible to dig a 15t SV so you cant self recover though, so there is that. The chassis is not man enough to 'self recover' using the flat rack, if you remember doing that......
I feel sorry for whoever buys them off of us. A DROPS will go non-taskworthy if you slam the door too hard (I bet you think that I am joking).
EPLS kind of died a death after Afghan. They all went to RM/Reserve units. I think CGS did not believe in them enough, but have done a U turn since. I do know that CGS have JUST (within the last week) been given a presentation on the EPLS and were moistening their underwear at their being in the presence of the beast.

Used to operate, maintain and repair this Biochemistry analyser solo during my lab career. Gave up my State Registration certificate when I retired. Had a few panicky times when it broke in the middle of the night and the wards were demanding their blood results pronto.View attachment 418162
I used to be a State Registered MLSO in the 70s, left for the delights of Tech Sales in the early 80s, and we never had anything as flash as that one.

Our pride and joy was the Technicon SMAC . . . all wet microchemistry.
1569060451702.jpeg

W21A

LE
Book Reviewer

mrdude

War Hero
Well it was a rough evening last night with the other half...

It seems I don't know how to use our new dishwasher, which is a bit of an overly complicated PITA... Had to have the other half give me instructions in Crayola on how to use it. Followed by not being able to figure out how to use the DVR settings on the new TV and deleted one of her shows. So I have been banned from using the remote now...

View attachment 418079

I was reduced to this at the age of 36....

What have you gents been banned from touching or using in your households besides your wives?
Pussy Whipped Walt!

Latest Threads