The things we are judged by....

Thought he said he was an Aussie (soon to be)
Praise the lord and pass the visa.
I thought the Aussie visa wouldn't be an issue because he was born in Melbourne first then was later born again in San Diego.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Not really a thread drift if you think about it. I would judge someone on their honesty and personal character before I judged the status of their garden.....

Quite right, if he speaks to me with courtesy and a basic respect, without bluster and a supercilious tone, than that's fine, what car he has, house , clothes he wears, money in the bank, is all superficial. I have met the top echelons of society, some splendid fellows, others monumental arseh@les, and at the other end of the spectrum, down and outs, who were well spoken, erudite, down to earth, and observed the niceties of the queens English.
I gauge a man on how he treats his fellow man, I try not to judge,

Zulu_w

Old-Salt
Many, many years ago I rented a small house in the suburbs of Norwich which had a small patch of grass the size of a postage stamp. Every couple of weeks I would simply smash it down with a quick wave of the strimmer. Not big enough to require a whole mower.

This obviously blew the mind of the OCD next-door neighbour; to the extent that he approached me one Saturday as I was giving the lawn a cursory trim and begged to be allowed to cut it when he did his. It was really only at that point that I noticed that his tiny patch of lawn was billiard smooth and all grass. Mine not so much. Lumpy with a collection of thistles, daisies and other green stuff.

Bonus. In no time my little patch was equally well manicured and I could sit out back with a beer tending to the braai whilst 'doing' the grass.

Mowing grass is for other people.

In terms of judging; shoes. Has to be. Anyone who turns up for work or an interview who looks like they just tramped through a bog needs to be cast out.

Trans-sane

LE
Book Reviewer
Many, many years ago I rented a small house in the suburbs of Norwich which had a small patch of grass the size of a postage stamp. Every couple of weeks I would simply smash it down with a quick wave of the strimmer. Not big enough to require a whole mower.

This obviously blew the mind of the OCD next-door neighbour; to the extent that he approached me one Saturday as I was giving the lawn a cursory trim and begged to be allowed to cut it when he did his. It was really only at that point that I noticed that his tiny patch of lawn was billiard smooth and all grass. Mine not so much. Lumpy with a collection of thistles, daisies and other green stuff.

Bonus. In no time my little patch was equally well manicured and I could sit out back with a beer tending to the braai whilst 'doing' the grass.

Mowing grass is for other people.

In terms of judging; shoes. Has to be. Anyone who turns up for work or an interview who looks like they just tramped through a bog needs to be cast out.
Additionally, brown shoes with blue suits...

Additionally, brown shoes with blue suits...
An unsightly aberration, that I have noticed is - regrettably - on the increase . . . :( .

Trans-sane

LE
Book Reviewer
An unsightly aberration, that I have noticed is - regrettably - on the increase . . . :( .
As is the suit being shiny, the shirt being purple, the tie being pink and the shoes being almost as pointed as the fashionable medieval slippers. Do people not have mirrors in their houses anymore???

As is the suit being shiny, the shirt being purple, the tie being pink and the shoes being almost as pointed as the fashionable medieval slippers. Do people not have mirrors in their houses anymore???

Its not mirrors they need, its a personal sense of style, and the ability to see through the bullshit of the faceless fashion gurus who purport to dictate what's " Stylish and in this year..... dahrrlings"

Trans-sane

LE
Book Reviewer
Its not mirrors they need, its a personal sense of style, and the ability to see through the bullshit of the faceless fashion gurus who purport to dictate what's " Stylish and in this year..... dahrrlings"
I was being mildly facetious...

The fact is the majority of regular suits from the 40s, 50s and 60s are still good looking suits now (stand fast Zoot Suits). The few suits I've seen from early the same. Good wool cloth in a relatively sober blue, grey black or even brown with a reasonable gorge to show the shirt and tie. Tie not too thin or kipper. And never lighter than the shirt because that just looks wrong! Brown shoes only with brown suits, otherwise black. And regardless, the shoes should be polished for fuck's sake!

Out here in Suburban flyover country or just BFN, a man is judged by many things. But one of the most important is this...

View attachment 417228

The condition of your lawn. Mine would make a SGM cream his pants. I yell at myself to stay off the grass and even the hound knows to stay out of it. The pensioners here will pretend to walk around the neighborhood to get their steps in, but in reality they are scoping out the competition. Everybody wants the Yard of the month award..

So what do you folks across the pond in my suburban counterparts use to measure a man?
Next door's lawn is looking pretty poor though.

Neither the Pope or myself are of intrinsically disordered sexuality.
The pope is a jesuit, and he is head of an order that espouses (not always successfully) celibacy. As well as an organisational hatred of women. that would seem to suggest some kind of intrinsic disordered sexuality.

you're suspicious just for being catholic.

Latest Threads