The Thin Red Line

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Run_Charlie!, Nov 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just watched it. Very different to any other war film I've seen. Good though!

Anyone else?

2. I liked it too :clap:

Everyone I know seems to disagree though and think it's slow but I think there are some good performances and as you say, it's a bit different. Also some fantastic photography and gorgeous tropical scenery as I remember?

JOTS

3. yeah good film that 1

4. I agree its one of my favourite war films a little bit more cerebral than most of the crash, bang bullets flying flicks you see, judging by previous ARSSE posts I seem to be in a minority. But definitly in my top 10

5. Maybe a cliche - but the book's much better.

Having walked the ground this year (the real ground, the film was shot in Northern Queensland) it would have been pretty cheeky to fight over.

6. whos the auther of the book??

7. Double trouble....

8. It's by a bloke called James Jones. It's a novel but obviously based on real life events. There's a book called "Every shape, every shadow" about a group of marines during the landings and subsequent fighting. It's an awesome read.

9. thanks mate ill look it up now

cheers!

10. Abandoned US vehicles!

Attached Files:

11. Any more pics? Emplacements? Aircraft?

12. Hope you can read this...

Attached Files:

13. James Jones was a combat infantryman in the US Army at the start of the Second World War. I've only read 'From Here to Eternity' which was part of a trilogy of books he wrote based on his wartime experiences.

From wikipedia:
    "Jones was born in 1921 in Robinson, Illinois. He enlisted in the Army in 1939 and served in the US 25th Infantry Division before and during World War II, first in Hawaii, then in combat on Guadalcanal, where he was wounded in action.

"His wartime experiences inspired some of his most famous works. He witnessed the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, which led to his first published novel, From Here to Eternity. The Thin Red Line reflected his combat experiences on Guadalcanal. His last novel, Whistle, was based on his hospital stay in Memphis, Tennessee, recovering from his wounds."

As I recall one of his recurring themes was his distaste for commissioned officers. I would recommend FHTE but caution that his books are tomes.

Dan.

14. Any more Oz?

15. I found the movie to be boring. I think that quite apart from the inherent quality of the movie, the movie goer's experience was marred by deceptive marketing practices. It was protrayed as a standard war movie but it is anything but. That spoiled it for me as I went in expecting a more action-oriented movie.