The 'Thin Blue Line' could becoming thinner

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer

Proff3RTR

War Hero
Probably, the only difference is todays lads haven’t got that rifle.
Correct, we are still a nasty bunch of fcukers who you would not want to fcuk with, in since 88 so have seen a lot of changes, but yes, we can still mix it with any fcuker so little inner city toe rags are nothing to worry about, even without ‘THAT rifle’

RaiderBoat

War Hero
US centric, West Coast more centric: in my state, Officers Driving and an inquiry are run through the NCIC and DMV databases on your birthday. This ensures your DL is current, you have no driving actions or tickets left open, and all your fingerprints and your name is clear.

Im pretty sure that new state laws are going to include SM scans, which would take hours…

(if any Mods receive a call from IAB…I was never here…)

I mean no direspect, but do you think you can compare the soldiers who patrolled West Belfast and Londonderry in the seventies and eighties with todays troops?

I know exactly what you mean. I did three tours across the water.

It was a massive holiday and how we laughed as we danced around the evening campfires while the world thought we were on some military mission fighting terrorism risking our lives every time we minced out of the gates of the holiday camp looking for some fun.

They even made up stories like over 750 troops were killed and thousands more suffered life changing injuries.

Well…. It sold newspapers eh!

How I and my former colleagues yearn for those carefree fun filled days. We even meet up occasionally to chat and recall stories about the shenanigans we got up to.

Such funnn!!!!!!!

The 'Thin Blue Line' could becoming thinner​

Some of them need it :D :D

Fat police 1.jpg

I wonder if this is the fat knacker

A police officer accused of trying to buy a £9.95 box of doughnuts for seven pence by sticking on a cheaper barcode has been sacked for gross misconduct.

I meant the people shown in the photos I posted.
People who are part of an army with HR officers, diversity officers, people who are asked if they want to do PT, people who have to give permission for an officer or NCO to enter their room.
People who are not to be shouted at or called nasty names.
If I was disrespectful I apologise for any upset caused, but I stand by my post and my opinions.
ah, the good old days of racism, bullying, (sexual) harassment, stick-thin soldiers doing an 8 min BFT but probably incapable of carrying or operating the equipment today. The Army largely garrisoned in Germany drinking itself to death with equipment that didn't work (except the SLR). Yes we def need those days back.

I suppose at least we were "global experts" in counter-insurgency operations...as our protracted time in Iraq & Afghan showed...the US sat back and watched us...and laughed!

Is it happy-hour at the legion this afternoon... 2-for-1 if you show your veterans badge along with a UKIP membership

I know exactly what you mean. I did three tours across the water.

It was a massive holiday and how we laughed as we danced around the evening campfires while the world thought we were on some military mission fighting terrorism risking our lives every time we minced out of the gates of the holiday camp looking for some fun.

They even made up stories like over 750 troops were killed and thousands more suffered life changing injuries.

Well…. It sold newspapers eh!

How I and my former colleagues yearn for those carefree fun filled days. We even meet up occasionally to chat and recall stories about the shenanigans we got up to.

Such funnn!!!!!!!
nobody said it wasn't, but the old "today's soldiers aren't up to it" is pretty dull.

I would imagine the NCOs of the 60s/70s who had served in WW2 probably thought the youngsters of '69 onwards weren't up to it either...

nobody said it wasn't, but the old "today's soldiers aren't up to it" is pretty dull.

I would imagine the NCOs of the 60s/70s who had served in WW2 probably thought the youngsters of '69 onwards weren't up to it either...
I have nothing but admiration for today’s soldiers and I’ve never said anything different anywhere at anytime. They’ve operated in theatres across the world proving time after time that they are always at least a match and often vastly superior to those who try to oppose them.

I have though come across one heroic warrior on Facebook who expressed a view that NI was a walk in the park compared to more recent theatres. Different tempo yes. Less dangerous. Not necessarily especially when you consider the numbers of casualties.

The comments I responded to on here seemed to me to echo the walk in the park view. I won’t accept that in any way whatsoever especially when I think of my friends who didn’t come home.

Proff3RTR

War Hero
It would seem some are getting a bit worked up over today’s/yesterday’s soldiers and capabilities, soldiers are soldiers(well British ones at least) each generation of soldier has it’s cross to bear, be it NI, Falklands, Bosnia, Kosovo, Sierra Leone, Iraq, Afghan or indeed many other places that we have done what we are paid to do.

My old man spent a large part of the very late 60’s and 70’s in NI (1 LI) and I am sure he would agree with the arrse RS on here that NI was bad, sometimes very bad. I knew a PARA who became a Tankie and was part of 2RTR who was a company runner in 2 PARA during the Falklands, and he said that was very bad ad bloody cold. I have done NI twice, so not a massive NI vet but have seen. My bit in the late 80’s and mid 90’s not overly bad so no sweat, Kosovo was depressing pure and simple, Iraq was a war, so pretty mad, Afghan was the Wild West and I have to say from what I saw as bad as anything from NI in the 70’s and 80’s although no mass crowds to deal with.

So what is my point, simple really up to and including 5 years ago the young soldiers could and did ‘hack it’ just as the older generation did, I agree that the more softly softly approach that has crept in is not good as far as I am concerned in making/turning out fighting troops, that is something that has picked up pace more and more over the last decade and I would agree that those who are trained today are not as robust as most if not all of us old gits and due to tier mind set socially and on a personal level they never will be, units such as the PARA’s & the Royal Marines are the only units that basically train their young soldiers in Depot how we all were, and that lot as well as SF are the only really ‘old school’ trained units around. I for one would not want to be an NCO in a line battalion now due to how much the field army has changed, the days of Sgt’s being the backbone of the British army are long gone, the old ways are long gone and so the old way of soldiering is long gone.

But as I said upto and including 10 years ago, maybe a bit more (mid 2014/15) the soldiers could and did hack it, nowadays I am not so overly sure.

But as I said upto and including 10 years ago, maybe a bit more (mid 2014/15) the soldiers could and did hack it, nowadays I am not so overly sure.
Op PITTING? Not even 10 weeks ago....

ah, the good old days of racism, bullying, (sexual) harassment, stick-thin soldiers doing an 8 min BFT but probably incapable of carrying or operating the equipment today. The Army largely garrisoned in Germany drinking itself to death with equipment that didn't work (except the SLR). Yes we def need those days back.

I suppose at least we were "global experts" in counter-insurgency operations...as our protracted time in Iraq & Afghan showed...the US sat back and watched us...and laughed!

Is it happy-hour at the legion this afternoon... 2-for-1 if you show your veterans badge along with a UKIP membership
I don't remember an army like the one you describe.
I honestly don't think any soldier who carried a base plate, Charlie G or Milan will have any trouble with todays kit.
Any armoured soldier who had to use the old five foot long track tensioner could probably handle todays motorised versions.
I would also say that the generation prior to mine would have said we had it easy.
And compared to them we probably did.
My comments were not personal to the serving troops, but to the way our forces have been led down the 'Woke' path.
My father and three of my uncles were Paras, to them I was a craphat.
But to my uncle John, my father and two uncles were cissies, because they jumped with reserve chutes, uncle John didn't when he was part of the drop on Suez.
Our institutions have all had entry standards lowered, that is a fact, and when you add to that the HR, Diversity and LGBQ obsession, it's obvious to me that priorities are a lot different to what they were prior to the mid to late 2000's.

Proff3RTR

War Hero
Op PITTING? Not even 10 weeks ago....
Yes, read my thread, those boys were PARA’s who still train the old way and are if you like it or not a bit more robust and capable compared to line units, yes there were others there who were not PARA but the blokes holding the line were PARA.

Proff3RTR

War Hero
I honestly don't think any soldier who carried a base plate, Charlie G or Milan will have any trouble with todays kit.
Any armoured soldier who had to use the old five foot long track tensioner could probably handle todays motorised versions.
I would also say that the generation prior to mine would have said we had it easy.
My comments were not personal to the serving troops, but to the way our forces have been led down the 'Woke' path.
But to my uncle John, my father and two uncles were cissies, because they jumped with reserve chutes, uncle John didn't when he was part of the drop on Suez.
Our institutions have all had entry standards lowered, that is a fact, and when you add to that the HR, Diversity and LGBQ obsession, it's obvious to me that priorities are a lot different to what they were prior to the mid to late 2000's.
Screamer I think you will find is what most PARA’s like to call us craphats these days………

Proff3RTR

War Hero
Bloody good post and put so much better than mine, top marks.

Yes, read my thread, those boys were PARA’s who still train the old way and are if you like it or not a bit more robust and capable compared to line units, yes there were others there who were not PARA but the blokes holding the line were PARA.
Yes there were 2/3 Para holding the abbey gate, but it was a game for the whole family, all under considerable threat and pressure

You beat me to it, I was about to make the same comparison.
When British intervention was requested in Beirut in 83 or 84, it wasn't Paras or Marines that were sent, it was Lancers and Dragoons, seven years later it was line infantry and armour in the Gulf.
Extremely capable units.
Not because 'it was the good old days', but because attitudes and training were based on soldiering, not politics.
Just to clarify, my comment wasn't aimed at individuals, but the system. I've made that clear twice now.

Yes there were 2/3 Para holding the abbey gate, but it was a game for the whole family, all under considerable threat and pressure
Yes, and they acted professionally and efficiently, as they always have done.
Do you think if their entry standards and training were lowered to promote inclusivity, they would still be held in the same regard?

Johned

War Hero

In 1953 one of our training Corporals had the MM from the Waziristan war which conveniently finished in 1939, fought in Malaya, was captured by the Japs but survived the Death Railway and later served in Korea; what a character. The Sergeant Major for whom I worked told me, the day before they surrendered to the Japs in Singapore, he queued to watch "Gone with the Wind" at the pictures, whilst convalescing from wounds received in action. Unbelievable. In retrospect, as young National Servicemen while somewhat in awe of such people, we must have seemed like Borstal boys to them.

Latest Threads