The thieves fall out - Germany, Russia and WW2 art treasures

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by FORMER_FYRDMAN, Jun 21, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

2. Let them fight to the death. Winner takes all.

• Like Like x 1
  3. From a moral point of view it's a tough one isn't it? Both wartime leaders were shits of the first water, but the people of the USSR were undoubtedy the innocent party. Modern Russians still regard- with justification- their sacrifice as being the overwhelming factor in beating the Nazis. Saying that both armies behaved reprehensibly towards vanquished civilians- some might say the German people got everything they deserved.

Maybe the fairest thing would be to give the treasure to the Poles.

• Like Like x 9
  4. If ever the term "irony" was suitable, it is here.

5. And here I was expecting to see some controversy brought up about a few pictures that A. Hitler and H. Goering had picked up in their little shopping trips in France ca. 1940.

Hitler Smiled.jpg

It's only a load of old Bronze Age buried gold. I wouldn't get so steamed about that. I would like to know though where is my Amber Room - that would be worth some money. :plotting::plotting: :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

20 odd million russian dead in ww2 a fraction by the germans.

7. ****'em, if you want to play with the big boys don't whine when you lose.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Poland?

Poland, like Jesus, was crucified between two thieves. So the Poles tell me.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Yes, ,he fell out with the Romans and the Jewish authorities,so they did the same to him as the boxheads and Ivans did to the Poles.It would seem to me that when you are between a rock and a hard place,you keep your head down and stay stum!

• Like Like x 1
  10. The "people of the USSR" substantially contributed to the start of WW2 by affording the Nazis political, economic and military cooperation right through the 1930s and up until 22 June 1941 - there were trains full of Russian grain still crossing the soviet-german frontier at the moment the German forces started rolling east...

11. Yes, I could just see Citizen Ivan saying "No, sorry I'm not going along with this Comrade Commissar, please send my apologies to Comrade Stalin but I won't hook up these railway cars, no hard feelings eh?"

• Like Like x 1
  12. Not forgetting that the Germans actually had training facilities in the USSR notably for their airforce in the 1930s.

Visited the Hermitage in St P'berg a few yrs ago, interesting how many paintings had very coy labels about their provenance.

The Germans nicked from the Jews,the Russians then nicked everything they could lay their hands on.

13. Can't see what the Germans are complaining about.

• Like Like x 2
  14. On the theme of thieves, Russia and Germany, but at a slight tangent, there's a nice little story about Putin whispering at a conference after Merkel accused him of speaking too loudly. I was more interested in his actual comment.

From the Indian Express
    Vladimir Putin talks in whisper after Angela Merkel 'loud' rebuke - Indian Express
    "Putin noted that Merkel had just said at the forum that she did not know who bears responsibility for the recapitalisation of the problem banks. A mischievous-looking Putin said: "I will now say it in a whisper." Then his voice dropped to a loud whisper : "I hope not at the expense of clients."

I wonder if he has heard the same rumour as me, about the proposed break-up off the RBS bank. Basically the rumour says that the bank will be split into commercial banking for businesses and ordinary accounts for thee and me. The ordinary accounts bank will charge for all transactions. Once that gets accepted, the rest of the banks will follow. The point about Putin's comment is, is he playing for the middle ground? Could he be the focus for the anti-autserity movement?