The Tech That Took Out Zarqawi

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by mora, Jun 15, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Al-Zarqawi killed using Israeli LITENING pod

2. So what's your opinion?
  3. Bit of a result for the Israelis. Makes a change from women and children. Should make them a few more shekels on the Arms Exchange now it's been mission-proven.
  4. During Abu Ghraib scandal, "Israel's tactics" were the main smokescreen behind the attempt to scapegoating Israel for the perversive actions of American soldiers. Surely Zarqawi's successful "targeting assassination" needs the same credit.

This pic used to smart Israel
  5. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

6. For Zarqawi assassination they used

Advanced Airborne Targeting and Navigation Pod

LITENING is under contract with the United States Air Force Reserve and the Air National Guard, as well as six international air forces. The USMC has purchased the LITENING Targeting Pod to meet the precision attack requirement for the AV-8B Harrier. Northrop Grumman's Electronic Sensors and Systems Sector, located in Rolling Meadows, Illinois is partnered with RAFAEL of Israel to produce these systems.

7. Hmmm. Lets not worry too much about the kit used to guide the bomb when actually dropped and the puff on behalf of the Israeli defence industry. I guess there are a number of guidance devices out there.

More important is the story behind how they knew where to drop it in the first place. I'd guess that the most likely answer to that is a senior Sunni politician grassed him up - there were a pile of other ops immediately afterwards I believe - all too fast to be the reaction to info found on Zakawi. Given that all this happened just as the final Iraqi Govt line-up was announced it looks like Zarqawi and his boys were victim of a political ploy, given up in exchange for influence in the Govt.
  8. Wasnt there a big financial incentive by the Americans for giving information that would lead to the capture or demise of Zarqawi?? It was only a matter of time till someone would jump at the bait.
  9. never heard of a rhubarb or cab rank, and how flexible do you think a couple of cannons are ?
  10. Thats another option Arik, there was a big bounty - but that a pile of other Ops kicked off at the same time would indicate that it was more than just a tip-off from a minor player or local informer. The point, if it was a "senior" player", is that the rest of the terrorists should feel very worried indeed. Their "higher command" obviously has no loyalty to them and will betray them when the political imperitive is strong enough. Hard to give your life for some-one whose "commitment" is so patently weak that they will sell you for a seat in Govt.

On the other hand I could be a CIA plant just trying to maximise fear and dissention among the hundreds of Al Q who read this forum... :wink:
  11. Cab rank was primarily only close air support IIR- (WWII history classes) -C. Ity may have changed since then. Im not sure what its evolution was.
    I cant see what this israeli pod did that other pods on the market havent been cpable of doing.
  12. Remember Mohamed Farrah Aidid than. Aidid was one of the main targets of Operation Restore Hope, in Somalia . Aidid hindered international U.N. peacekeeping forces in 1992. As a result, the US put a $25,000 bounty on his head and attempted to capture him.

Aidid's reward was not long in coming: the Clinton administration promptly signaled its intention of surrendering the field to the Somali warlord as rapidly as a semi-respectable withdrawal could be arranged. That American military power could destroy Aidid and all his henchmen--could obliterate the entire city of Mogadishu, for that matter--was beside the point. The United States would not do so. Having inflicted approximately 100 casualties on the American forces deployed to Somalia, Aidid had won a victory that by any definition of the term was decisive.
  13. Escuse me, mora, but what just what is your fückin' problem? You tang on about how terrible the Palestinians are and how unjustly they treat the Israelis, but you consistently fail to provide any real evidence for one side or the other!

The tribe of Israil(is) was just one of very many tribes that happened to be in the area at the time, but then they jump up and say they are in control of the whole country - in spite of only being given a part of it by the United Nations 9the rest they took by murdering nigh on a million Palastinians - talk about ethnic cleansing!).

So why the Israelis hack on about it being THEIR one and only holy land is rather extreme, isn't it? After all, they're thus all arabs, aren't they? I that too naive?

14. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Mora ,I am a Ex-RAF Armourer & probably know more about weapons & the various targetting pods than you ever will! The RAF also use weapons & pods made by other countries.The US & Isreal have a very long history of shareing technology.