The Tea situation "very serious" after a Nuclear attack

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Psypher, May 5, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Beeb Linky

Yep that would be my big worry after surviving a nuclear attack, where do I get a decent brew? :D

2. So what's wrong with that. We're British, everything is better after a nice cuppa. It even provides proof against radiation poisoning*.

*Note: this comment has no basis in fact, and the author of the comments accepts no liability in the event of radiation poisoning following consumption of tea in the belief it can be used as a vaccination.

3. It probably would be, shelter yes, food sort of, fire plenty, hot wet?

4. It was actually taken that seriously that there was provision for a civil servant with specific responsiblity for maintaing tea imports in the Alternative Seat of Goverment in Wiltshire.
    The bunker changed names several times and was known as Subterfuge, Burlington, Turnstile and Site3 amongst other things.
    The whole Site3 complex still exists under Corsham in Wiltshire, built in the former Bristol Aeroengine shadow factory and at one time intended to accomadate over 4000 staff.
    It still has its original old fashioned telephone exchange which was the 2nd biggest in Britain when it was built, as well as housing the Gov it would also have been home to the Royal family, it has several canteens still complete as they were in the 1950's although in latter years the intention was to feed everyone on ration packs!
    The place is on a scale that you wouldn't believe, the power house has 4 Mirlee's gensets that are huge and had enough fuel to run for 3 months.
    It was declassified several years ago and pictures are out there in the public domain, if anyone is interested then I can dig out links for history and pictures

5. THE queen eating rat packs, still them ole **** blocking biscuits should keep some of the goverment ministers quiet as they mostly speak from the afor mentioned orifice....

6. Not that quiet sadly, the place was equipped with a BBC studio to allow our glorious leaders to speak to the oiks in the wasteland above.
    I suppose it is feasable that HRH would have avoided rat packs, the canteen facilities and limited cold storage still exists, I will enquire and see if provision was made to give the Royal family etc a better diet

7. HRH wasn't going to have gone to Site 3 - I did some work on declassifying the documents a few years ago, and my house has got loads of memo's marked TS etc from Winston Churchill on the subject of the protection of Govt in the event of a nuclear attack.One of them contains the basic line - hadn't someone work out what we're doing with the Queen - until that point HRH was sitting tight somewhere else, and no one told her what to expect.

Another point - nuclear war in the 1950's was very different to that of thr 70's and 80's. The Russians only had a few warheads, and it was likely that maybe 4/5 A-Bombs would actually have hit London and the UK - in real terms this would have been awful, but survivable - look at Hiroshima and Nagasaki as the A-Bombs of the day weren't much different in terms of effect.

Site 3 is a great laugh, I went down there for a tour a couple of years ago and its absolutely huge.

8. Unfortunately, the FSB has proved tea cannot prevent radiation poisoning... and Sushi is no good either! :twisted:

9. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Hmmm. Best up the alert state to 'Chin Up and Remain Cheerful.'

10. Trans-sane

Trans-sane LE Book Reviewer

Unfortunately, the FSB has proved tea cannot prevent radiation poisoning... and Sushi is no good either! :twisted:[/quote]

However, red wine DOES help due to its rather high concentration of strontium. Having said that the radiation dose it will protect against is on the order of glow in the dark watches and PC CRT monitors, not fallout from armageddon.

11. Well lack of tea in the 1950s would have been a pressing problem not like todays youth .Who moan about how slow the frappcuinos are to make at camp navistar :oops: .

12. Depends how many bottles you drink, surely? 8O

13. If I survived a nuclear attack, (as I always would being a sauf larndun boy), the first thing I'd want is a cup of tea.

So well down the old guppymint bods for getting their priorities right.

14. Guys - she ain't HRH she's Her Majesty.

15. And these days, with Pakistan, India, China and half the bloody far east having nukes and being targets, there's going to be no tea-producing region left!