The Taking Of Pelham 123

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Rudie, Mar 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. One of my favorite movies of all time has been has been re made by Tony Scott and is due to be released later this year.
    I've seen the trailer,and I've got a hunch it's going to be pants. Denzel Washington is playing the part Walter Matthau played so brilliantly and John Travolta is the baddie.
    It was partly the inspiraton for Reservoir Dogs,due to the dialogue and naming the criminals Mr Blue, Mr Brown,etc.
    For anyone who has not seen it,go get it's fantastic.
  2. The original was indeed a good film, haven't seen it in a while though! There's one of my favourite actors in the remake-John Turturro- "look into your heart"-Millers Crossing. Saw The day the earth stood still last week and that was a non event of a film, but hopefully as remakes go this will be a good 'un. There was a film from about the same era with Sean Connery and a very young Christopher Walken robbing an apartment block, The Anderson Tapes, I think! As with Pelham 123, some old films deserve a modern remake-Gezundheit!
  3. I'm not sure about this getting re-made or not. The first film had a fabulous 70's New York atmosphere to it, and every single character in the movie had some brilliant dialogue,from the cops to the hostage takers and from the metro staff to the train passengers. I wonder if Tony Scott will be able to re-capture all that? I hope so, but I doubt it.
    One scene I can gaurantee,will be the black pimp like Vietnam vet hostage being replaced by a gangsta-rap-style Iraq this space.
    It was re-made for tv in 1998 with wasserface from Goodfellas and The Sopranos....Dr Melphi, playing the lead role Walter Matthau played so well. I saw a bit of it on tv,and it just looked pish.
    I don't think Denzel Washington should play Garber, not a race issue, but the part should of been played by an ageing over weight not-so-pretty actor...........somone like James Gandolfini,who is also in the movie playing the mayor.
    I've got the feeling it's going to be a dark,over violent special effects laden film this time round, lacking the fantastic humour and dialogue of the original. I might be wrong, but I doubt it.

4. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

If we're commenting on a movie with absolutely nothing to back it up then I look forwards to the remake - for me, the original whilst very good in parts lacked a certain momentum and urgency and I never really liked any of the characters. I hope that the remake avoids violence for the sake of it and also avoids the 'sexy guns for everyone'.

Lastly... this movie was always going to be remade - there's hardly any set so for cost reasons it would always have been on the cards...
  5. Lacked urgency? You kidding? What about when the police have to transport the $1000,0000 from the bank to the drop off point? With risk of using a lazy cliche, it is defintely "edge of your seat" stuff.
  6. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

I don't think it was at all, but maybe I am remembering the movie but there seemed a lack of pace, no crescendo etc etc..

Certainly there was something wrong with the original.. It doesn't qite gel as well as other movies of the era for me but does stand up with quality of acting and dialogue as has been said.
  7. Fair enough,it's certainly no Serpico, but it still can hold it's own with the other movies of the time.
    I've been employed by the railways since leaving the army, maybe that's why I like it. I could imagine the signalling centre manager kicking off the same way as the metro manager did in the movie, just as some of the New York metro cops seemed ever so lapsadaisical,just like some of the old school BTP chaps that I know.
  8. Just watched the trailer for Pelham 123 on IMDB and it will probably be billed as a summer "blockbuster", have to say that you can't learn anything new from this if you've seen the original, but interestingly after checking Tony Scott on IMDB, he's producing a remake of The Warriors! Can You Dig It? YEAH-BUT CAN YOU DIIGGG IT?Pelham 123
  9. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Seems as though it wil be a summer of remade films
    I heard yesterday on the radio that Will Smith is remaking the Karate Kid with his son in the lead role

Wax on Wax off :roll:
  10. The Taking Of Pelham 123 is a cracking film. That gritty 70's NY feel appeals to me. Personally, I can't recall a remake that outdoes the original, except maybe War of the Worlds? They all just seem to have too much Hollywood cheese...

Quis Separabit
  11. Agreed, it's a great film.
    IMO which ain't worth spit, why do they insist on re-making goods films?
    As Michael Caine once said "When re-making a good film, it not only has to be a good film, but also HAS to be better than the original or it will fail. Why not re-make some of the bad films that are out there? There are many films that only failed due to bad casting, poor script, or poor special effects. The idea is still good."

Edited for mong typing.
  12. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Wise wise words and well worth Hollywood considering, movies that failed due to bad effects or casting that could be remade...
  13. Nowhere to run to baby, nowhere to hide... 8)

"I'll stick that bat up your ass and turn you into a popsicle!" :twisted: :headbang:
  14. Wolfie,

'Martha and the Vandella's'. I used to sing it to every prisoner I denied bail.

For the rest on the thread - Walter Matheu played the lead in the original film.
  15. Have you noticed how he plays every character the same way in every film?

Whether it's Man on Fire or The Manchurian Candidate or any of the other stuff, he is exactly the same.

You could just digitally insert footage of him into this and noone would be wiser.

It's the same with Morgan's definitely a black thing!