The TA is most understrength where?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by polar, Jan 6, 2007.

?
  1. OR'S

40.3%
  2. LCps/Cpls

30.6%
  3. SNCO/WOs

2.8%
  4. OCdts

1.4%
  5. 2LTs-Capts

25.0%
  6. Maj and above

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The TA forum seems to have many posts about lack of officer cadets, is that a problem?

or are we concentrating on the wrong area.

I get annoyed that good potential operators are sent down the OCdt route leaving my unit with no Injuns.

2. Well, I don't know about the rest of the country, but we certainly need more JNCOs here.

3. its across the board. Varies by region. Embedded problems for the future as rank ranges are half empty.

4. You don't have a choice of "all of them"

5. My TA REME unit seems to need juniors badly, preferably under 50, alive and still breathing would be nice.

Cardinal

6. Spelling.

7. Problem some units have is that the majority of recruits come from uni, and because they go to uni they get poached to be officer cadets, even if they are wholly unsuitable. So the unit loses out on potential OR's

8. As I understand it;

Understrength
    Cpls and Capts - the generation who deployed on or left at, or after, the large OP TELIC 1 deployments.
    Junior DE officers generally, hence the TA LE takeover.

Up to or overstrength
    Older Majs and SNCOs, many of whom have deployed but are not really matched to the bulk of gaps the Regular Army need filling.

We used to have a large TA with numerous local Battalions across the counties. The politicians disbanded and amalgamated them as they were not required in those numbers! Those politicians are far-sighted and intelligent aren't they?

9. As I see it, the main problem is doing the same with fewer thus masking the real extent of the shortfalls. The TA could be its own worst enemy.

10. it's what happens when enthusiasm is endemic

11. I don't think thats a bad thing, especially if you get LE's at an early age (30-40 not 40+). Too many people following DE route are unsuitable, its weakening the commissioning process and the current system seems desperate to commission anyone who has enough quals.

Many of these would have been told to wait a few years or get LCpl before trying for a commission. The system has been shot to pieces and older DE's now have more in common with future LE's, as they've both spent (some) time within the ranks.

12. Not enough JNCO's that actually do the job. This affect recruiting and retention, meaning less bods through the door, that stay and are trained and capable to do their trade.

A terminal case of "Too many chief's, and not enough indians".

13. msr

msr LE

And how many Officers are no longer turning in, but their CO's 'haven't got round' to processing their discharge papers?

I know I could name two in one squadron alone.

This might have something to do with retention forming part of the CO's OJAR, thereby making it in their interest to falsely report.

msr

14. If the poll is correct so far, we shall in a few years time struggle to fill SNCO slots but the Junior Officer problem is sorted (assuming the OCdt training actually produces officers)

15. msr

msr LE

Hold on, the TA is officially 30% under strength of 2Lt - Capt. In reality I suspect it is a lot higher than that.

You cannot solve an officer crisis by simply transferring the Sgts Mess into the Officers' Mess.

msr