The TA - A gripe

Discussion in 'The ARRSE Hole' started by onearmedwarrier, Jul 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi all,

Im ex RA, spent three years in and gained valuable experience that id always wanted to pass on to new bods. sadly a year ago, as the name suggests I had a work related accident. but enough about that. I recently tipped up to Lowestoft TA Centre, 3 Royal Anglian Regiment to be told, flattly, Im no use to them.

How sickening is that? 3 years good training down the pisser.

2. Anglian are infantry & will be very wary of taking someone who "looks" like they might struggle.

About 10 years ago now a chap got into the regular medical corps with only one good leg. (it made the news quite a bit)

Ask around a few other less front line units, they or the cadets AI route should have something for you.
  3. what instructor qualifications do you have?
  4. How do you manage Capitals?
  5. Wah cloak on...

Using the caps lock button

Wah cloak off...
  6. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Quite possibly they only want to take on recruits who are deployable. Based on your user name on here, i suspect you would get the same response from most TA units these days, as we are pretty much all about supporting Op's.
  7. Just shows how the TA never really bought in to the One Arm-y concept.

ooops, sorry...
  8. A bloke just got knocked back for his waist being an inch and a quarter larger than it was three days before when he went for his medical so frankly I think you've got two hopes and one of them's Bob.

It does raises the question of whether there is any merit in having training staff who are not deployable or don't meet the standard for some reason or other.

The unit I am re-joining has a civvy Doctor who attends once a week in support of the unit. Would it be so ridiculous to have a civvy map reading instructor, armourer, shooting coach, driving instructor etc?

Good luck whatever you do.
  9. msr

msr LE

I think you are confusing the TA with the Boy Scouts.

10. What use are you to the infantry with one arm? You could fire a pistol but you wouldn't even be able to reload it yourself!
  11. Not really because they don't employ people. This unit most certainly does employ a civvy doctor. I remember the unit I was in in the 90's had a civvy caretaker and storeman.

That said I suppose it's cheaper to pay a soldier than a civvy.
  12. My unit was the same, the storeman was also the caretaker and lived on site, think the LCpl storeman was a civvy but she was also in the TA
  13. Yeah he could, seen it done by harry the hook.

Kneel down pistol in the back of the knee to change mags, cocks it by pushing back the top cover on the back of his boot.
  14. I suppose it was a rather bigger organisation back then with a bit more slack in the system. Don't see why it would be a problem to use such people for certain tasks though.
  15. He could always ask K13eod if he fancies swapping a leg for an arm or maybe wheelchair warrior has some floating about somewhere