The Sweeny V today's Coppers

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by sebcoe, Jan 19, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I just finished watching the Sweeny given the fact today's Coppers are in fear of their jobs if they upset crimials or just stand by during student riots in fear of ruffling students hair doo's. Ok I know its a 70s programme but Regan and Carter + the lads were tooled up with an assortment of hand guns, a bit of a shoot out took place villans got a kicking.

I don't intend this to be a copper bashing thread, but why can't coppers sort the problems out like Regan & Carter?

1. Villans Bloodied bundled in to the police transit. Was the police complaints comission informed because a Criminal was shot?

2. Regan & Carter + lads went to the Pub. was counselling available due to the trauma of a shoot out?
  2. Perhaps your next viewing should be Life on Mars, pretty much covers it?
  3. I doubt it, Gene Hunt would be Sacked for not being nice....LOL
  4. I watched an episode tonight, stacks of smoking but no swearing.Jack Regan has a lot to answer for. I was a screw at H.M.P. Brixton back when The Sweeny was at its most popular. Old Bill from Brixton used to use our social club and every sprog C.I.D morphed into Regan or Carter after a few sherberts. West End Central took it a bit further and started editing statements resulting in quite a number of guilty men walking. This was also the heyday of the Special Patrol Group and the killing of Blair Peach. The 70s was an interesting time to be involved in law enforcement in the London area.
  5. 'uman rights, innit?
  6. Blair That ll Learn im!!
  7. these lads were much more effective than the average bobby of today...

Attached Files:

8. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Most disapointing is the lack of shootouts and dead bodies in the boots of cars in modern day scrap yards
    In the 70's you could hardly get the door off a Mk 1 Cortina for the amout of lead the scrappy owners hot headed younger brother was blasting at the cops
  9. Tytus_Barnowl

Tytus_Barnowl On ROPs

From a recent documentary on Policing.

" I love nicking people. It's what the jobs all about".
    "The only tv programme that comes anywhere near what the police think is The Sweeny" .

This is from todays police officers.
  10. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

Dammit, I thought this was going to be in the same vein as 'IRA vs Taliban' and 'Samurai vs Vikings'.
  11. Comparing The Sweeny to real coppers is like comparing Dads Army to the TA of today........oh......hang on...
  12. My dad was a DS in the Flying Squad at the same time "The Sweeney" was first shown. Lot's of "No dear, course it's not like that" to mother.
    When "Life on Mars/ Ashes to Ashes" was on recently, he told me in confidence that it was much closer to the truth, apart from any interaction between the filth and lids.
  13. So you are comparing a bunch of actors in a scripted fantasy world pretending to carry out law enforcement in an outlandish manner, with what exactly?
  14. I see old WESTERN has got onto this thread then,he loves getting ripped into the Police..predictable anti Police bollocks.
    Look you were rejected by the Police,move on.