The Surrender Museum - Reims

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by once_a_maverick, Jun 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Saw a short clip of this on the TV tonight, anybody been there? Is it an educational visit?

2. Are you talking about the room in a building reputedly behind the railway station at Reims where the final surrender of WW2 was signed? If memory serves me right there was a post on the BBC news site a couple of months ago stating that the last British Witness to this, a female squaddie, had passed away.

I find myself in Reims quite regulary, albeit on WW1 tours, next time I am in this excellent city I will enquire as to the whereabouts and chances of visiting the room.

FM

3. They said on the bit of article that I saw that it is the building where the German surrender was signed and that the room is still in the same state as it was at the signing. That is all I caught. I would like to go along and see it but would hate to go on a 4 hour drive and find it a disappointment.

4. Forgive my ignorance, I thought it was a museum dedicated to France's favourite national pastime...

CW

Quis Separabit

Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

5. Yep, it has a huge collection of their Regimental Standards, which are all white in colour ;)

6. Clearly next to cheese and monkey museum then......

It can be seen from the road, with a gate guardian that is the amazing tank with 5 reverse gears!