The Sun: Not all bad

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by forniup, Oct 29, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

It's Newton Dunnce doing the campaign story, but that aside, credit indeed where it is due.

2. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

This campaign was not started by the Sun, though any publicity for it is useful.

This is simply incorrect as to fact, though accuracy is never Newton-Dung's strong point. The government is unwilling to fund proper resources, not unable to cope.

3. YesItsMe

YesItsMe LE Good Egg (charities)

doesn't matter who's to take the initiative - the idea is brilliant - that's what counts in the end

4. Fair play to Tom Newton-Dunne for using his column inches in this way. Seems to have made all the right noises, let's hope all of the efforts and publicity lead to good things happening at Headley Court as soon as possible.

5. This campaign is spot on so let's indeed give credit where it's due and not be grudging with our appreciation to The Sun in this instance.
    My one reservation is the way the government is let off the hook in this launch article-
    The goverment is NOT unable to cope with our war injured, they simply choose not to make sufficent and appropriate provision for them.

The responsibility for providing top quality care for wounded British servicemen and women rests solely on the British government.
    That they happily take advantage of charities and abdicate their own responsibilities just shows what a morally bankrupt goverment we have.

Fundraising to care for newly wounded Soldiers- who'd have thought it would come to this.
    Whilst a laudable campaign indeed, it's despicable that the goverment are failing in their duty of care

6. Hopefully The Sun campaign may embarrass even this shameless Government into holding up it's end of The Military Covenant.

I wonder if any of our "Honorable" Members of Parliament will sacrifice some of their lavish expenses to contribute to the fund?

Credit to The Sun on this one though. Well done.

7. Can anyone explain this quote from the sun report?
    if its what i think that is about thats bloody awful. :cry:

8. G-G said
    That can't be what it sounds like, surely :cry: :cry:

9. This helps make the point. http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/servicecharities/
    I recieved a reply on this last week fobbing us off.

Here>>
    Thank you for taking the time to sign this e-petition. This is an early response from the Prime Minister's Office in advance of the petition's closing date to clarify a few points made within the e-petition itself.

It is not, as stated in this e-petition, the Ministry of Defence's (MoD)(new window) policy to take 15 per cent from donations at charitable events. However, the Government does require the MoD to recover any costs arising for use of the facilities it supplies for non-defence purposes, including those used for charitable fundraising.

Public bodies are encouraged under the Government's Wider Markets Initiative to make better use of their assets by making them available for use by others where appropriate. Where public assets are made available in this way they should be charged for on a commercial basis. Pricing must be fair and in accordance with competition law - so public bodies cannot discriminate between different users (e.g. charging charitable bodies less).

The amount of costs to be recovered vary on a case by case basis. This depends on the facilities provided, and will also include a fee for the use of the venue. The MoD must also charge the organisation the cost of insuring against the risks for which the MoD may be liable in providing the facilities, as well as for any additional utilities, maintenance, contractors fees and administration required to run the event. If the MoD were not to charge for the use of its facilities, this would mean the tax payer subsidising the activities of non-governmental organisations and individuals.

We hope this helps to clarify the reasons for the MoD charging for use of its facilities.

:roll:

10. Pity about the readership.

I quote

29/10/2007 10:35:52
    Re:HELP OUR HEROES - THE SUN CAMPAIGN.
    It their own fault for doing the job in the first place.............my Sympathies rest with the dead of Iraq

Fairs Fair - they do take her to task over it.

Here: http://www.thesun.co.uk/discussions/posts/list/HELP_OUR_HEROES_~45~_THE_SUN_CAMPAIGN~46~-39302.page

Heed.

Edit to add - Here is another bunch of idiots.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/discussions/posts/list/RESPECT_FOR_OUR_SERVICE_MEN_AND_WOMEN~33~~33~-38639.page

It starts off badly, tails off in the middle and the less said about the end, the better........

With apologies to Capt E Blackadder

11. A.KOS.

Reading through your reply from the gobment it has left me somewhat confused.

On the one hand they say "the MOD don't take any money from the proceeds" but on the other "We [the gobment] demand payment for use and we don't care if you are a charity you will still get charge for use AND you WILL pay for insurance (which carries a VAT charge too)".

What a banal, mindless and contradictory reply, no wonder the gobment are in trouble when their PR sh1ts can't put together a more comprehensible reply.

Out to screw those that try to help, not once but twice.

JJ

12. Quite!!
    The way I read it is that for every £100 we / charities raise ( therefore alleviating them from there responsibility of care ) They are screwing said charities for £15.00 so that's a 115% saving in my book. :x

Does the 'Sun' realise this?? I'm sure they could make some capital if they did. :twisted:
    Edited to add scenario: Hedley court opens its grounds for a fundraising event such as in support of the sun's appeal for the 'pool'
    MOD stings Sun for 15% and the charity only receives 85% of proceeds, although ironically HMIT is supposed to add tax relief on donations. Hello?

13. just to clarify. The insurance is done via an insurance firm and not the MOD, you have to get this before a DE licence is issued. Once that has taken place, then and only then do the MOD start demanding their cut

For example a charity was charged £199.00 for just using a car park in aldershot. a fee was charged £100.00, then licence prep cost £85.00 (printing off a few pages of A4)+£14.00 VAT. This was just for the use of a car park so to advertise the event. There were no collections from the car park.

14. I don't care what others say about TND and the current bun - top marks all around today.
    Any campaign that raises public awareness and at the same time embarasses the shower of sh*t sat in Westminster gets my vote.