THE Sun is not going to tell you how to vote today.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by philc, May 2, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seems the Sun is not backing any party in today's local elections, bit of a turn up or is it ? A subtle way of telling the Tories, which as rule the Sun has backed most times to pull up their collective socks.

The Sun says: NHS mess | The Sun |News|Sun Says

2. This wouldn't be a swipe at the news papers not being 'in' on the talks regarding press regulation is it?

Anyway, as Rupert Murdoch once said “I want to put it to bed once and for all, that that is a complete myth … that I used the influence of the Sun or the supposed political power to get favourable treatment,”

So that's all right then

3. Anybody who needs the Sun to tell them how to vote should be disenfranchised.

Whatever they might like you to believe, newspapers do not generally change attitudes, rather we buy newspapers that reflect our existing views. E.g. I am a bearded, sandal wearing liberal so I read the Guardian; others read the Daily Mail because it confirms their world view.

4. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

For once a Sun article I actually agree with (unless you count the date on the paper an 'article' - then it's two).

For too long the politicians have eroded away any trust the public once had in Government. When you think about Churchill and the like, you get a sense of honour, pride, winning wars, community spirit, "He was OUR leader" etc.

When you think of Blair, Cameron, Brown - and for those lefties among you - Thatcher ...all you can think of is lies, power grabbing, vote collecting, expenses scandal, privatisation, corruption, party donations...

In other words, the complete opposite.

I don't trust any of them. The only reason I'd ever consider voting now, would be as a protest - which would be silly because protest votes can result in the the lesser of two evils not being the one in power at the end of the totting-up.

If it weren't for the fact I have a daughter in school who's relatively settled, I'd have left this shit hole a long time ago. I suspect many people feel the same way too, but the simple fact is they, along with those around them are powerless to do anything about it.

It's almost like some twisted game show where the 'winner' is simply the one who ends up with less pain.

• Like Like x 1