• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

The stupid question thread!

Ok we've all got one, me I have several.

So I'll start.

What fecking trade am I? I used to be an IS OP (not even a very good one). So what am I, am I a Tech now?

Secondly

When do you get your second bunch of Ren leave heard a rumour its been sacked? Hope not.

Now i know I'm setting myself up for all sorts of your crap/stupid/shouldn't be a SNCO etc etc etc, but remember I really dont care! So come on clevererer peeps answer my stupid questions.

You're a soldier, 17 years and take it before 20 years.

Why did I bother?

If I remember right (not that long ago) IS Op High band Tech Low Band (At SSgt that is) MOD could get a few savings out of that.

In 5 years time, will there be any TA signal regiments left?

hallveg said:
What fecking trade am I? I used to be an IS OP (not even a very good one). So what am I, am I a Tech now.
Look at your JPA competencies. I bet it probably says Info Sys Engr. They can't update Sys Eng Techs and IS Engrs yet as JPA doesn't yet have rank options for "Comm Sys Engr (I)" and "Comm Sys Engr (T)" which are the caveats that will stay on people's records until they do a conversion course or the new pre-Class 1 course.

Apparently it's a two second job for a decent DBA - create two new records on the Oracle database. Do a bulk update - all Sys Eng Tech = Comm Sys Engr (T) and so on. Edit a few records for those who have already done the pre-Class 1 or those who did the "SECA" course at Blandford over the last 12 months. EDS or whatever bunch of thieving fraudsters run JPA are demanding £0000s and many months of in-depth programming work to carry it out. No wonder the Army's skint.

From what I have been told Class 1's will not do a conversion course. Our postings over the next 3 years will be in the previous trade. After that we could very well find ourselves posted as a tech and visa versa.

App Spec is the way ahead :)

the_guru:
hallveg:
What fecking trade am I?
A very poor Combat Powerpoint Operator.
The same trade as you would be now if you were still in hahaha

Guru, your a rotter!

But still

Ive got nine years left to beat your getting out rank!

Anyway I cant believe Im the only one with a stupid question or is that the only one with the jacobs to ask.

by the way did I get an answer that means I dont have to work it out from a cryptic message of you would be's and in 3 years etc etc etc..

take it no one knows?

Apart from dwarf, but Im in Naples and JPA is down, always.

Hallveg...

You are officailly a CS Engr. But you will be handled as IS for the next 3 years as I have previously said. After then they will "Apparently" keep you with in the IS Stream but don't get your hopes up. Once again as I previously said you could find yourself doing a tech job.

I take it you are not going Foreman Digital then?

hallveg said:
Guru, your a rotter!

But still

Ive got nine years left to beat your getting out rank!
I see that some things don't change....

And you'll probably be a General with the way your trade structure seems to promote people on every Queen's birthday.

Mind you, to have a real rep, you've got to turn your Warrant down, like real men.... ;-)

Gyran_Tol said:
Hallveg...

You are officailly a CS Engr. But you will be handled as IS for the next 3 years as I have previously said. After then they will "Apparently" keep you with in the IS Stream but don't get your hopes up. Once again as I previously said you could find yourself doing a tech job.

I take it you are not going Foreman Digital then?[/quote]

I thought it was Foreman IS :?

Is that another made up trade change? :wink:

It is apparently how foreman IS is being refered to in Blandford. Foreman Analogue for the old obsolete foreman (Tech) and foremand digital for the new better breed..... :p

Guru your rite me spellin is still shyte and I hope your right aboot the Gerral bit,

My pension will spend the same as yours matey! :D

So I guessing that no real direction has been pushed out yet on the trade thing or are you all involved in a Corps wide, wah?

I've, just out of interest, asked a couple of Corps fellas here if they have any idea what trade they are now and no one seems to have a scooby? Best guesses are all I seem to get, terrible really. Think I'm going to start saying RTG because thats the last time I had any idea what trade I was.

Another question, mainly for Guru;

What are the speed limit signs for on the tange? Ive tried going that slow but get flashed at by angry locals.

Gyran_Tol said:
It is apparently how foreman IS is being refered to in Blandford. Foreman Analogue for the old obsolete foreman (Tech) and foremand digital for the new better breed..... :p
I heard it was FofS Classic for the original and FofS **** for the new breed; reason being their analogue knowledge is as limited as their digital knowledge and they like it up the Gary (apparently)... :D

PoisonDwarf said:
Apparently it's a two second job for a decent DBA - create two new records on the Oracle database. Do a bulk update - all Sys Eng Tech = Comm Sys Engr (T) and so on. Edit a few records for those who have already done the pre-Class 1 or those who did the "SECA" course at Blandford over the last 12 months. EDS or whatever bunch of thieving fraudsters run JPA are demanding £0000s and many months of in-depth programming work to carry it out. No wonder the Army's skint.
I recently spent an entire afternoon just trying to answer a simple Oracle HR/JPA question, for once I can understand EDS demanding ££££££. Information on the system is overblown with Project Management bullshit that says absolutely FA. I know this view is shared by several defence contractors.

I suspect that the Corps isn't particularly bovvered about legacy Class 1s as the majority are supposed to be aiming towards supervisory selection etc. Of the remainder, a few some will be "in trade" for at least a few more tours and some will opt for RD, while others will leave. Either way, relatively few will continue to do mainstream jobs for the rest of their careers as SNCOs, so perhaps conversion courses aren't that important in the long run. I seem to recall that APC said that "legacy" Engrs will continue to be posted to PIDs (LSNs) that have been annotated for Sys Engr Tech or IS Engr. I reckon it won't be as big a problem as some people think, as there already huge areas of crossover. Remember that this is the 200th anniversary of Darwin's birth (or possibly death - my memory is shot to pieces these days - I never really knew the bloke) and he proved that survival of the species is all about adapting to one's environment. All in all, a fairly clever piece of work.

Spliff-Boy said:
I heard it was FofS Classic for the original and FofS **** for the new breed; reason being their analogue knowledge is as limited as their digital knowledge and they like it up the Gary (apparently)... :D
Remember that "classic" is a marketing strategy nom-de-plume for "retro", not "hetero". Next you'll be slagging off people who wear dresses! :D

(edited for crappy spelling mistake)

I have a Stupid question!

Do TA get a pay rise when gone from class 3-->2 but still only a sig? are pay rises only given for rank or is it class too? my clerk just gave me a roundabout the houses answer which means he doesn't know? just wondered if anyone does?

blueflossy said:
I have a Stupid question!

Do TA get a pay rise when gone from class 3-->2 but still only a sig? are pay rises only given for rank or is it class too? my clerk just gave me a roundabout the houses answer which means he doesn't know? just wondered if anyone does?
Yes you will get a pay rise.