The Strange Year of E.G. Rawlings

The Strange Year of E.G. Rawlings

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Rawlings, known by his initials E.G. is a war correspondent in his mid 60s who has been seriously injured in an IED explosion while covering Afghanistan. In the attack his girlfriend and photographer was killed. EG is writing his memoirs and has withdrawn to a quiet life on a river barge for a year to do so. He gets a mooring with an old friend, the widow of the former British Ambassador in Kabul Included in her house and grounds were three other females dropping EG into a very female...

Click here to read the full review.....

Jonnynoname

Old-Salt
Question: I always wanted to find a book i had as a kid called Judo for boys by Cpt we Johns i think he was called. tried to find it. how do you find books from the 50s or 60s ?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Question: I always wanted to find a book i had as a kid called Judo for boys by Cpt we Johns i think he was called. tried to find it. how do you find books from the 50s or 60s ?
Had a quick look and it is not listed against WE Johns. He was a very prolific writer famous for the Biggles books, but I can't see anything about judo for boys against his name.

Jonnynoname

Old-Salt
Had a quick look and it is not listed against WE Johns. He was a very prolific writer famous for the Biggles books, but I can't see anything about judo for boys against his name.
maybe i got confused as i read a lot as a kid. just remember i got it from the Local Library. started my interest in Judo.
thanks anyway.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
maybe i got confused as i read a lot as a kid. just remember i got it from the Local Library. started my interest in Judo.
Might have been a similarly named author, just does not seem to be something Johns would write. Keep looking, it will be out there somewhere.

Jonnynoname

Old-Salt
Might have been a similarly named author, just does not seem to be something Johns would write. Keep looking, it will be out there somewhere.
yes i will. It was really a good book where he told you to wear old style suit jackets as a substitute for a Judo GI. My brother and me had some funny times trying the throws. Will maybe write an Email to the Library and ask if they still have some kind of record. small chance but ya never know

This it?

Capture.PNG

Judo Boy

Capture.PNG

Last edited:

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Just read The Strange Year of EG Rawlings. Not my normal thing, but a passably enjoyable way to while away an afternoon in a sunny garden.

The greengrocers' apostrophes were irksome, but I enjoyed the story. I might even read the sequel, apparently due for publication in 2020.

Last edited:

Latest Threads