The strange case of the vanishing TA Units....

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by OldSnowy, Nov 1, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

It has been brought to my attention that the website that potential recuits use to find their local TA Units:

is, basically, pants. Not only does my Company not appear on it, but on a quick trawl neither do the two Companies (Squadrons, rather) of RE which are my closest TA 'neighbours'. It also contains many spelling errors, and, at a quick glance, several Units that disbanded six years ago. For example, 65 Pet Sqn RE are shown as still existing, but no Infantry in Portsmouth at all!

No wonder we aren't getting many bloody Recruits! This is quite, quite, pathetic. I have raised it through the 'dial the TA' 0845 number given, but think it a good idea if others did likewise.

And if anyone reading this is from HQ AG, or DRFC, or anyone else involved in TA recruiting, PLEASE do something about it!
  2. It's an Omen!
  3. Nothing within 100 miles of the Isle of Wight.....

(except the Regular Recruiting Office !!)
  4. Maybe it's a new way of announcing TA "rebalancing"?
  5. Best people to raise this with are your own RFCA. They will have the clout to sort it.

Any units in Scotland with wrong details pm me and I will ask for it to be corrected (even speeling mishtakes as some of you know from a previous thread ;))
  6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Apart from some appalling descriptions and the misspelling of "Croyden!" which can mean hopefully we can eradicate the epicentre of mockneys I found it almost accurate!
  7. OldSnowy

Update on this - I just talked to a very helpful member of the HQ Recruiting Group in Upavon; she said that they found it very difficult to get up-to-date information on TA locations 'from the TA'. I am not sure who they have been asking, however. More than likely, they won't change anything pro-actively, they will wait to be told by someone else.

Moral of this - if you wnat something doing....

Meanwhile, I have sent them a copy of the most useful SERFCA poster showing all TA Units in the SE of England. They say they will use this to update their site. If anyone else (in other RFCA areas) has found errors on this site, I suggest that they do the same.

PM me for the exact address at ARG if required.
  8. Has the Ex- 'Princess of Wales' TA Centre been sold in Pompey yet?

Its been on the market for 5 years hasn't it??
  9. Or the 2007 Lets fcuk up the fcuked up TA Plan has been released a little early. :roll:
  10. OldSnowy

AFAIK, the Portsmouth TA Centre is still for sale, and isn't owned by the MoD, but a charitable Trust. Similar situation applies in Horsham, and probably in many other locations. So, sites closed, footprint reduced, for minimal 'benefit' - not even a gain to the MoD budget :(
  11. Missing the Int corp, Arty, Engs and Sigs in Bristol but apart from thats its spot on!!! :roll: :roll:
  12. missing us sigs at ipswich
  13. I have a contact number for someone who claims to be able to help at recuiting group, they have been realy good when i just spoke to them, about fixing my problem, i will can pm it to those who required or will the mods alow me to post the civ number
  14. The Connaught Trust, which came as a shock to the MoD as they'd already factored the sale into their equations. They still support Hants and IoW reserve/ cadet units, as 6th (DOC) Bn, R Hants was quite rich....
  15. We realise that there are many errors on the new Army Jobs website and are working hard to try to resolve them. If anybody spots any errors or omissions do feel free to let us know, on

The concept of the postcode search is a good one but as you will, no doubt, have discovered, it is only as good as the information that sits behind the search. We unfortunately have to rely on feedback to point out errors.

We have been quite ambitious in attempting to provide a single source of searchable local information for not only TA units but as you will have seen for Regular, Museums, Cadets, ACIOs, AFCOs etc. We believe (when accurate) this is the only collective source of this kind of data in existence which means that there will inevitably be omissions, continual change requests and some small percentage of errors, but as errors are pointed out these errors should be minimal