The Story of Warhorse

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by jim24, Feb 20, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

2. A play I am determined to see this year, hopefully at the end of June.
  3. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Jim this is listed as a children books but seems to be coming across as one for adults also. Do you know, would it be suitable for Arrse?
  4. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

havn't got around to reading the book I saw the play and was knocked out by it, so I don't know
  5. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Auld Yin

I have a copy of Michael Morpurgo's book if you want to take a peek.

From the Mail link :

Is it suitable for Arrse ? It is written from the horse's perspective. You might ask one of our tame Battlefield Guides who has knowledge of the last use of cavalry in 1914 to give a view.

The sheer number of horses shipped to France to feed the war machine was astonishing...and as the book faithfully relates the vast majority were auctioned off after 1918....many to feed the local population.

Sort of a family grandfather's brother (Jack Owen) was RHA though I don't know which battalion . A high proportion of the artillery in use at the time was horse-drawn, not just the light guns.

I think Spielberg's film will cause people to look at that memorial in Park Lane with a little more appraising eyes than before.

Incidentally, his latest called 'Shadow' is about an explosive search dog in AFG.....surprised it hasn't been picked for a review here already.

( and I'm in the scene in the snow at the auction once all the shooting has died down...)
  6. Those that I know who have seen it were less than impressed with the story or the production.

Birdsong however is far better.
  7. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

Its a childrens book, you can hardly call "Birdsong " a childrens book,
  8. The play is absolutely incredible. Quite easily the best thing I have ever seen. If you get the chance then go. I'm not sure if a film can catch the emotion of the puppet horses.
  9. Hardly a sophisticated story though.
  10. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

11. Having seen some of it at the Military Show at Earls Court before Xmas, I wouldn't mind seeing the whole play.
  12. No, not particularly sophisticated but it doesn't suffer because of that. I just found I was completely absorbed by the drama of the production; the effects were brilliant.
  13. I think the point is and I hope you agree that this is just entertainment with actors dressed as WW1 soldiers it does not attempt to hold on to fact or reality.

I'm glad you enjoyed it.
  14. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

AH the trouble with you lot is you ain't CAVALRY

Attached Files: