The storeman in you making money

ex_sigs

Old-Salt
Hi guys, I recently started a new venture with an online community for sharing of unused space, think of it as AirBnB but for space.

We have only just launched and looking for people to sign up to let out their unused garage, rooms, parking space, shed, barn etc etc. If you go to www.shedspace.com you can find out more there.

As an ex serviceman I’m keen to help those who use the site and will waiver our fees.

Any feedback or comments welcome!!

Bad CO

Admin
I think that sounds like a really interesting idea so popped on to your website to see if I could find anything near me...... nothing. I checked London and found exactly one option.

I'd say that you need to find some sort of way of building critical mass.

ex_sigs

Old-Salt
Yes agree, we have only been live for a week and next week we will be having a big push on social media, PR channels, radio etc.

Critical mass is our biggest issue and so looking to get as many people signing up to host space, then it will snowball from there!

Great idea, but the problem you’ve got is that it’s of no use to advertisers until you have users, and it’s of no use to users until you have advertisers.

The obvious solution is a large, front heavy marketing effort; but to do that across the UK would cost tens of millions. If I were you, I’d target a single town/city and attempt to grow outwards. Uber has the same problem and has been successful that way.

ex_sigs

Old-Salt
Yes we have just committed a serious amount of money and will be targeting south / south east UK then looking to grow from there, also looking to bring on brand partners which will help us grow

Hi guys, I recently started a new venture with an online community for sharing of unused space, think of it as AirBnB but for space.

We have only just launched and looking for people to sign up to let out their unused garage, rooms, parking space, shed, barn etc etc. If you go to www.shedspace.com you can find out more there.

As an ex serviceman I’m keen to help those who use the site and will waiver our fees.

Calling @stacker1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any blurb on your site as to how much you can expect to save on average by using your service instead of a regular established storage space/locker/ shed etc.? People generally tend to be hooked in by those sort of stats. And of course, like others mentioned, critical mass is the key. One big advantage once you get that is that people would be able to find storage space around where they live instead of having to lug stuff across half the town to a commercial self storage space.

Great lack of space for old cars/projects/storage etc, Might be worth targeting some car forums. Pistonheads retrotides Vw specific forums.
Maybe cycling or outdoor pursuit forums as well.
Most will let you post for free if your nice and a good way to reach thousands.

Follow my logic, but be prepared for a pitfall...

A good way to get free advertising is to have an involvement with local charities. Many charities have empty spaces and would probably be keen to make a buck. As a do-gooder, you could expect to be interviewed on local radio, thereby getting free advertising over a wide area.

The downside is that you'd be entering the world of "storage of multiple occupancy" - what is to stop one customer pilfering another customer's property? It could be months or even years before anyone notices and the pilferer will be aware of this. While the renter may well be covered by the insurance for the value of the goods, what if he also claims back the rental fees? - having no idea of when the goods went missing, he'd probably try to claim back all of the fees, of which only a small part is your profit.

ex_sigs

Old-Salt
Some great points here guys, appreciate the feedback, we are starting to get traction and some good hits to the website after 10 days of being live. Don’t forget though to post your space or let us know if you need any!! Thanks

The host might have to be a little careful to avoid invalidating his insurance (house and contents).

As a f'rinstance...

One of the properties on your site shows an attic which has been boarded out over a 2m X 2m area. The guide suggests that a renter would have enough room to put (from memory) 6 washing machines in this area. In practice, he probably couldn't because he'd struggle to get a washing machine through the loft hatch (not just the weight but also the dimensions). He'd also struggle to balance on the joists to reach the boarded area.

Let's suppose that he got 6 washing machines up there - that's not far off half a tonne that's being supported by four joists. Joists that aren't really designed to take any load.

Moving away from washing machines, let's say that someone wants to store books in tea chests. More credible but, perhaps surprisingly, even heavier. 16 chests would fit in the space and could be filled in place. Each chest could hold as much as 125kg of books. 2 tonnes!

I don't know what your small print says but you might want to consider including something about loading and declaring the storage business to the insurer.

ex_sigs

Old-Salt
Hi all, we have now gone live and ha e a number of users which is steadily growing. We are currently offering £20 if you list your space, doesn’t matter what or where. Click on this link and get some free money after you have listed!

ShedSpace | Rent Your Space

Latest Threads