The stinking old Dinosaurs thread

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by TheIronDuke, Apr 29, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

This is a Cleo, Nissan Toilet and Imprenza free zone. Have it, Muppets.

This thread is devoted to a dying breed. We few, we happy few, we band of brothers. We proud owners of old smokers who will never take your poxy £2k to trade in the huge, planet poisoning, polar bear snuffing wrecks we drive with gay abandon.

Mine? Merc E300TDI. 284k on the clock and it looks like a skip that has had a hard paper round. The back seats stink. And you will pry it from my cold, dead hands Gordon.

Whats your Dinosaur?
  2. Toyota Landcruiser 4.2 td , the old 80 series , pulls like a train (smokes like one too ) has 3 diff locks and will go places a Landy can only dream about , yet still cruises at 90 + . At 150 k miles just run in , and if it breaks can be fixed with wire and a big hammer. Currently worth about 99p Only way Gordon will get it is when I run him over .
  3. 1981 Land Rover 109" Safari
    My TD5 Discovery does everything better, faster and more economically.
    Still like the old Safari and won't part with it.
  4. LWB 1955 Land Rover.

Perhaps 400k on the clock? Hard to estimate.

My only vehicle.

I put the ragtop on in winter.

5. 1993 Mitsubishi Galant 2.0 V6 24v.
    Hated Jap cars until I got this (originally as a stop gap).
    A better drive than my old Merc and dead reliable and economical.

Love it.
  6. Last heard of - my old 1976 Aston Martin V8 - going like a rocket with 103,000 on the clock (true) and now looking at a younger one.

A 1977 Aston Martin V8... :D

Reliable,comfy,smooth,quick - and BRITISH !! :D
  7. I dream about Aston Martin V8's.

You lucky sod :D

Envious not jealous.
  8. 1995 VW Golf Mk.3 Driver 1.8

Has got a few bumps and rust patches but apart from that is still running sweet as a nut. Done 120K on the clock and chances are that the bodywork will fall apart around the engine.

The only electrics are the indicators and CD player!! No aircon, manual sunroof, manual windows etc etc
    Currently use it on a daily 90 mile commute and it shows no signs of giving up the ghost.

Am saving up for another Golf but the thing just won't die!!
  9. Ahh the work car....

1995 Renault Laguna, 140,000 miles, engine and gearbox never been split, original clutch, head never been off. See's the garage once a year for MOT, where I get my list of jobs to do for the next few days!

Although, sunroof doesnt work, nor heater, clock, dashbord lights, if I brake hard the back seats move forward, glovebox opens and fuse box flap falls out, boot has never locked.

But it just wont die!
  10. Mine is stinkier than yours mate. 1986 Merc 508 (last of the 1970-1986 shape) with 3.8 diesel, very agricultural and on start up the clouds of blue smoke alter the local weather pattern. If the wind is with me I need to drive away at once or risk accidental suicide by choking myself.

It is rusty, it is ugly, it has the unnabusable OM314 engine and will outlast cars that have not even been designed yet so will offend neighbours and other road users for many more years to come.

P.S. I'm very wide and very high with a top speed of around 55 so overtake me if you can.
  11. 1991 Mitsubishi Pajero SWB 2.5 TDI 165k happily melting the polar ice caps by burning environmentally friendly chip fat.
    Dual zone air-con [ passenger and drivers side windows go down and sometimes up]

Gas suspension seat so you can ignore speed humps and a funny floaty ball on the dash to tell you when you are upside down

oh and an overtight kickdown cable that gives a 007 style smoke screen on request should some cnut in a ch@ved up Corsa or tw@ in a rep-mobile think 2 tons of 18yr old Japanese engineering isn't moving away from the lights fast enough for them to get to McDognads in time to get a McMuffins
  12. 1995 Jaguar XJR 6 cylinder supercharged. Fecking awesome. 107000 on the clock - not even run in, accelerates faster than a Labour politician writing an expenses claim. British by jove!
  13. 1985 Ex US Army Chevy Blazer 6.2 V8 Diesel does 28 to the gall on tick over.Don't need to put the foot down.Boll@ks to the tree hugers.
  14. 1997, 1.8l, Ford Mondeo in silver/dirt/bird shit colour.
    Radio doesn't work.
    Air con doesn't work (although I'm too tight to turn it on anyway).
    Stick it in 3rd gear & its like driving an automatic.
    125k on the clock (has been doing an average of 500miles a week back & forth work in the last 2yrs)
    One redeeming feature, it has a H4H sticker in the rear window.
    Cost me the sum total of fcuk all, back in 2004.
    Previous car was a 1987 VW Scirrocco which cost £600 (the most I've ever spent on a car).
    I dream of one day owning a LWB Land Rover like Ex-Stab.
  15. 1994 'Grandfather Clock' with less than 90k on the clock and I love it ... even though the northern nonce known as Iron Duke constantly berates me for it! :D

And this for fun: