The Sterling

I've used similar to reasonable effect, however Mrs Phantom stuffed the woke ice-cream into the trolley today when I wasn't looking. Her excuse was to make sure I've got something that kids won't snaffle.
'Woke ice-cream' made me smile. I work with a bloke who refers to green / fruit teas as 'lesbian tea'! He's a 'Tea, NATO' kinda guy!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Congratulations for not calling it a 'Stirling', the preferred spelling for those who favour 'NAFFI' 'Nissan Hut' and 'BOAR'.
You forgot my personal favourite, 'Nominal Role'.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Mufulira

War Hero
It was still pretty good,, for a first prototype. Fcuk knows how they kept it in production for so long with all the little endearing foibles like that. It was a lesson in all that was then wrong with UK manufacturing, clapped out WW2 vintage machines and no investment in R&D or improved working methods.

There have been several attempts to copy and improve it. The cocking handle, the fiddly butt locking end-cap thingy and it's ability to let off a round if dropped loaded with the safety off were all features that the copiers tried to improve on. It was sufficiently good to be worth copying. This one, for example. It's not made in Dagenham.

IIRC when Sterling was flogging the SMG and it's variants in the US it was an option to have a trigger group assembly to enable firing from a closed bolt in response to customers demands. Also a .45 ACP unit with the excellent twin rollered-ollower magazine was seen and demonstrated. I used one for a few years and we used Saffie or UK ammo and ne'er a hang-up, latterly some Czecho ammo that was remarkably 'hot' and definitely had zero penetration problems.

arcticfox042

War Hero
With all the Mod's the dozy Stormtroopers still couldn't hit anything.....
Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 19.49.23.png

According to the video I posted, the Sterling has a ten inch barrel.

Only pistol I have heard of( though I'm sure I am about to learn more) with a barrel that long was the Wyatt Earp Buntline Special or possibly the Luger Artillery with the wooden holster/buttstock. :cool:

View attachment 494357

View attachment 494358
ISTR that it was named after Ned Buntline and variation on a theme were that it could have a shoulder stock fitted I.e a handier version of the Colt revolving rifle, though unlimbering might have been a problem if worn on the person.

Incidentally My PW was a sterling for Comcen Work. I didn't quite take to it, but it was a handy size for the confined space of the Teleprinter truck we were lumbered with. What I find funny to this day is the fact that had we be taken out as was thought entirely possible at the time, I'm still guessing at the probability of me being able to do anything with it.

XPara Mugg

War Hero
ISTR that it was named after Ned Buntline and variation on a theme were that it could have a shoulder stock fitted I.e a handier version of the Colt revolving rifle, though unlimbering might have been a problem if worn on the person.
Ned Buntline was a 'Penny Dreadful' writer. Many commentators say he was responsible for for the romantic 'legend of the west'. He certainly embellished a few stories and polished a few reputations. The revolvers were gifts for selected subjects of his accounts/fictions.

They were showpieces really, although some had them shortened for carrying.

At least, that;s what it said in my Buffalo Bill Wild West Annual. :p

1596793946899.png

arcticfox042

War Hero
Congratulations for not calling it a 'Stirling', the preferred spelling for those who favour 'NAFFI' 'Nissan Hut' and 'BOAR'.
The correct term is L2A3
Screen Shot 2020-08-07 at 12.26.28.png

BratMedic

LE
Book Reviewer
I thought it was Smash My Gums, as it swings off the shoulder to hit the bloke on the stretcher right in the mush. Oh how we larfed :lol:

Latest Threads