Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Sterling

Watched you youtube vid on it last night. Very informative.

You mentioned that 200m is the limit of the 9mm ballistic performance which is why you were getting the wide spread. Would shooting through the MP5 for instance have got better results?

Yes, cos closed bolt so no schlunking before it goes bang, which mitigates that part of it. But 9x19 is really running out of legs by 200m accuracy-wise, which is why the group was more than twice as big as at 100m.

It was my personal weapon(in the signals) and for personal defence, cheap and reliable is all you really need. Then handed the pile of crap 80 and you wonder about the IQ of those in authority.

Last edited:
I suspect that its a "parts kit" gun with a lighter spring, or perhaps they were using some quite stocked-up ammo.

Doesn't seem too fast to me to be honest. I last fired one full-auto in November 2019 IIRC.

stantheman

Old-Salt
Us Tankies had the Sterling as our personal weapon, with 4 stowed in the Chieftain. Driver had his in the cab, Commander just behind him I think, and two stowed over with the Loader. May not have got that quite correct, it's been a few years! Shot them loads and they were OK. On scheme we were issued a silver 9mm blank which we had to have in the magazine. This was to make sure we handled the gun correctly with no NDs . Used to load the round back to front in the mag so it could never be fired anyway. Also had them in the ferrets in Cyprus, with 3 mags all taped together to make us look ultra warry! Happy days.

I found the SMG excellent and quite robust enough for bashing in tent pegs and the like.
What I didn’t like was the way the cocking lever would poke into your ribs when the weapon was slung over the shoulder . An easy remedy for this of course is to remove the cocking lever and stow it safely in the zip pocket of your wallet.
Cleaning was easy especially if you put a little black nasty over any apertures to keep dust and dirt out.
As we never ever got issued any ammunition ( except on the annual APWT) none of these actions affected the viability of the weapon in the slightest.

BratMedic

LE
Book Reviewer
How come it always swung about and got tangled up in cam netting?

Oh, I dunno. I recently watched a vid on YooChoob by @stoatman from his "Bloke on the Range" series and he experimented by firing a semi-auto Smudge at 100m and 200m respectively, corresponding to the ranges on the weapon's flip-sight. I must say, I was really surprised by his results. Mind you, stoatman is a pretty shit-hot marksman anyway.

MsG
Tell you what, let's meet up on a range - 200m apart. You get a Sten, I get an FN FAL.

How come it always swung about and got tangled up in cam netting?

Becuse it was made entirely from hooks welded together in the shape of a weapon.
If they'd made "Jaws" in the UK they'd have caught the shark with a length of para cord and an SMG on the end

DaManBugs

On ROPS
On ROPs
Book Reviewer
Watched you youtube vid on it last night. Very informative.

You mentioned that 200m is the limit of the 9mm ballistic performance which is why you were getting the wide spread. Would shooting through the MP5 for instance have got better results?
I certainly agree with you that stoaty's vid was hugely interesting and I very much enjoyed watching it, but I'm not so sure about your statement concerning the ballistic performance and its limits.

I state that because of an incident that happened when they were planning and building another runway at the Frankfurt airport (Startbahn West) a long time ago. There were weeks-long, massive demonstrations to try to prevent the project and they were often quite violent. At some stage, someone managed to nick a (I think) P226 off one of the Boxheed Old Bill, which was used at a later date to shoot dead two of their number who were responding to incursions by the demonstrators.

The thing was that an official inquiry into the incident came to the conclusion that one of the Old Bill was killed from about 30 metres away (certainly credible, given the known ballistics of the calibre), while the other one was shot dead at a distance of around 800 metres. So 9 x 19 mm may be a bit difficult to aim accurately above, say, 100 metres or so but seems to have the potential to kill or wound at surprisingly lengthy distances. Neither the weapon nor the shooter was ever found, by the way.

MsG

mrboo

War Hero
Tell you what, let's meet up on a range - 200m apart. You get a Sten, I get an FN FAL.
Ok how about we meet up in a building you can have your FAL and i will take the SMG. Comparing a SMG to a SLR on range is pointless. You would not put the SLR up against a .50 sniper.

PS

I have never fired a sterling i have fired a Sten, SLR and a FAl

DaManBugs

On ROPS
On ROPs
Book Reviewer
What? And watch you suffer the humiliation of being dumped on your flabby arse by the recoil, you old fart? I could never do that.

MsG

800m with a pistol? That's one lucky shot... and one unlucky copper.

I certainly agree with you that stoaty's vid was hugely interesting and I very much enjoyed watching it, but I'm not so sure about your statement concerning the ballistic performance and its limits.

I state that because of an incident that happened when they were planning and building another runway at the Frankfurt airport (Startbahn West) a long time ago. There were weeks-long, massive demonstrations to try to prevent the project and they were often quite violent. At some stage, someone managed to nick a (I think) P226 off one of the Boxheed Old Bill, which was used at a later date to shoot dead two of their number who were responding to incursions by the demonstrators.

The thing was that an official inquiry into the incident came to the conclusion that one of the Old Bill was killed from about 30 metres away (certainly credible, given the known ballistics of the calibre), while the other one was shot dead at a distance of around 800 metres. So 9 x 19 mm may be a bit difficult to aim accurately above, say, 100 metres or so but seems to have the potential to kill or wound at surprisingly lengthy distances. Neither the weapon nor the shooter was ever found, by the way.

MsG

It wasn't me maintaining issues about the ballistic performance, I was reiterating what @stoatman was saying and querying whether the 9mm's accuracy etc., would be better with an MP5.

I'm just a layman civvie but I'm guessing that wind and drag added to the 9mm's degrading stability would affect where it hits at 200m. It would still hurt if hit by it though.

And if you were leaning over a patient with a leg injury the SMG would slide over you shoulder and hit them in the bollocks !
The remedy for the above. With butt folded in place, slide the weapon under your two 58 pattern chest straps, it sits comfortably, and does not cause any problems, even when driving. Sorted.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer

Latest Threads