Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Sterling

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Saw this, learned something, thought it might be of interest:

[Note: I am well aware that many in this forum have derided this weapon, the Small Metal Gun, over many years. I fired it on range days in the early 80s and invariably had a grin on my face at the end of the shoot. Never fired it in anger. I would always invite any armchair ballistics expert to don the rain-soaked army blanket , stand at the 50m point and see how many 9mil rounds he could absorb and still be smiling.....]

Saw this, learned something, thought it might be of interest:

[Note: I am well aware that many in this forum have derided this weapon, the Small Metal Gun, over many years. I fired it on range days in the early 80s and invariably had a grin on my face at the end of the shoot. Never fired it in anger. I would always invite any armchair ballistics expert to don the rain-soaked army blanket , stand at the 50m point and see how many 9mil rounds he could absorb and still be smiling.....]

I have a deactivated one, my grand kids call it "the star wars gun" they were amazed when I took it apart, and all asked the same question, "Granddad, did you ever shoot anyone?" As a cold war soldier, no, but I was a good shot, 2inch grouping at 50yards.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
As pointed out in the last section as brave as a man might be carrying a SMG, It becomes futile when the opposition are armed with a variation of That rifle firing 7.62.

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
As pointed out in the last section as brave as a man might be carrying a SMG, It becomes futile when the opposition are armed with a variation of That rifle firing 7.62.
Oh, I dunno. I recently watched a vid on YooChoob by @stoatman from his "Bloke on the Range" series and he experimented by firing a semi-auto Smudge at 100m and 200m respectively, corresponding to the ranges on the weapon's flip-sight. I must say, I was really surprised by his results. Mind you, stoatman is a pretty shit-hot marksman anyway.

MsG

in the right place it was a brilliant weapon, room clearance for example.. (and for replaying scenes from star wars - with my 432 being the millennium falcon)

Before we left Germany we had to get rid of loads of 9mm ammo, collected all the Small Metal Guns out the armoury and had a great few hours on the 25m range firing from different positions that were used in movies until the grown ups turned up and spoilt the fun

I've fired the SMG quite a lot - still don't remember the rate of fire being as quick as that shown in the video when on full auto.

Age eh?

BratMedic

LE
Book Reviewer
in the right place it was a brilliant weapon, room clearance for example.. (and for replaying scenes from star wars - with my 432 being the millennium falcon)
Bit after my time, my 432 was the Tardis, surprising how many yellow handbags you could get in it and still have room for a dozen walking wounded and two stretcher cases. :grin: happy days (sometimes). :drunken::boogie::dance:

Bit after my time, my 432 was the Tardis, surprising how many yellow handbags you could get in it and still have room for a dozen walking wounded and two stretcher cases. :grin: happy days (sometimes). :drunken::boogie::dance:

If you took out the NBC filters and stashed items in there, running the air system cooled drinks.

Err, allegedly

Ah another world we shall never see again… open day at the local Army Barracks in the late 60's, early 70's. Kids cuing up at the butts to take a pop with an SMG

Chef

LE
'The Sterling Years' by J.Edmiston makes for an interesting read.

Before we left Germany we had to get rid of loads of 9mm ammo, collected all the Small Metal Guns out the armoury and had a great few hours on the 25m range firing from different positions that were used in movies until the grown ups turned up and spoilt the fun

Experienced a similar thing. As a young thruster, I was 'lucky' enough to play with the Sterling just before it disappeared.

Towards the end of a range day, loads and loads of 9mm had to be used up, so it was weapons free and full auto all the way until it had all gone.

I was on the end lane, and just before we finished I remember seeing the cinder path to the butts erupt in clouds of dust splashes, then clumps of grass flying in the air about 3/4 of the way down the range, then a line of splashes from right to left, right along the sand bank behind the targets.

Somebody was having a bit too much fun, but nobody ever owned up.

daz

LE
Once I scored 87 hits on the 25m range firing the smg.....which is amazing since I only fired 60 rounds, it turns out that there's an even blinder twat* than me out on the range that day :)

Last edited:
The SMG, suffered from the same thing as pretty much every bit of standard issue kit.
It was standard, while everybody wanted to be different, hence zips in boots, tropical combats, tailored combat jackets etc.

If everyone has been issued Uzi's you could guarantee the fashionable man about town would have wanted the SMG.

It fired the same rounds as the MP5 and Uzi, which as everyone knows are,like, totally lethal, but the SMG could be stopped at 5 yards with a British Rail cheese sandwich.

More bollox spoken about this weapon than just about any other. Go onto YouTube, find anyone testing one, who isn't wearing 80's DPM and stinking of piss and they all speak highly of it.

When I found s my self embedded with US SOF in the early days in Baghdad, my hosts were shocked that HM had sent her trusty and well beloved servant to war with a Hi Power and 20 rounds. A quick visit to an arms cache yielded up a SMG, several mags even a sling. Not only were the Cousins impressed by the “grease gun” but seemed happier to have me along as at least I could add outgoing rounds to the general noise.

Chef

LE
I recall checking some D10 in Germany in the dark and carefully negotiating an electric fence. As I started to move off my small metal gun swung round and the metal part came into play.

It conducts electrickery very well indeed.

As the proud owner of one blocked at semi-auto (but still open-bolt), it's massively under-rated: ranking among the best of the last-gen open bolt SMG's, but not a patch on the later closed-bolt ones like MP5's. And a vast improvement over the STEN, even the "luxury" Mk.5 version.

It was a reliable bit of kit and fit for purpose if you were carrying out a purpose that needed a machine gun. It would shoot someone the same as an SLR would but just at a fairly shorter range and of course, you wouldn't have to keep pulling the trigger to put some sustained fire down provided you selected full auto.

There were jobs where it was ordained that an SMG was the standard weapon to carry. If you were lugging the 84mm or were a four tonner driver or carried an A41, you were thought to be a candidate for an SMG.

The reality was that most of those people stuck with their SLR's because they liked the SLR and also because they couldn't be bothered with the admin to swap one weapon for the other.

Using an SLR required a lot of work to get it and yourself into a situation where when you picked it up and until you put it down again often much later, the SLR kind of melded into being a part of you.

Adopting a child and then giving that child away was probably an easier process than asking an infantryman to use a weapon other than his SLR which had been issued to him as his personal weapon.

That said, I would have felt confident with an SMG when on operations but there is a different mind set to that of using an SLR because it's a different weapon with different characteristics. One of the most significant characteristics is range.

9mm will travel through a wet blanket at 100 metres. We've done it out of curiosity just to see if it would but there are lot's of times when you would want something at a longer range than that. Hence the SLR which at shorter ranges might not show much difference between the two weapons but will show it's superiority at longer ranges.

So I would always vote for the SLR in 99% of situations but don't underestimate the SMG if you have to carry one!

Last edited:
As the proud owner of one blocked at semi-auto (but still open-bolt), it's massively under-rated: ranking among the best of the last-gen open bolt SMG's, but not a patch on the later closed-bolt ones like MP5's. And a vast improvement over the STEN, even the "luxury" Mk.5 version.

Watched you youtube vid on it last night. Very informative.

You mentioned that 200m is the limit of the 9mm ballistic performance which is why you were getting the wide spread. Would shooting through the MP5 for instance have got better results?